Thread: Need help for baby fox squirrel in Fort Payne AL. Finder willing to drive to rehabber

Default Need help for baby fox squirrel in Fort Payne AL. Finder willing to drive to rehabber

I received an email looking for help for baby fox squirrel in Fort Payne Alabama. We are located across the country in Washington State so am reaching out to rehabilitator closer to the finder. Below is the email she sent to squirrel refuge.

Hello,

I would like to take my squirrel to a rescue. I am willing to drive to you. I’m in Fort Payne Alabama. We found a baby squirrel almost 3 weeks ago now. I’ve attached a before and now pic: he’s doing good but I was reading your site and I’m very worried about eventually releasing him. I have 3 dogs so I keep him separated in a separate room and I’m not sure how to prepare him for finally letting him go. Can you take him ? Or do you know somewhere else where I could take him? He is eating solid foods , he likes sunflower seeds, walnuts, grapes, sweet potato ( I can’t tell if he eats any of the rodent food I bought) Im still giving him the formula I make for him but he is starting to not want it . I will be grateful for any help. I would like to give him the best chance possible for survival.

Thank you,

954-922-4010
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-28-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: name removed
    SquirrelRefuge.org - Dedicated to making the world a better place, one squirrel at a time

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelRefuge from:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2019)

Default Re: Need help for baby fox squirrel in Fort Payne AL. Finder willing to drive to reha

I have suggested a friend contact them. I believe they are very close by.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (03-26-2019), HRT4SQRLS (03-27-2019), Nancy in New York (03-27-2019), stepnstone (03-27-2019)

Default Re: Need help for baby fox squirrel in Fort Payne AL. Finder willing to drive to reha

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I have suggested a friend contact them. I believe they are very close by.
    Sammysmom... I am 2 hours from Fort Payne if it is too far for your friend.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

HRT4SQRLS (03-27-2019), Mel1959 (03-27-2019), Nancy in New York (03-27-2019), Spanky (03-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    Sammysmom... I am 2 hours from Fort Payne if it is too far for your friend.
    Javarat.. do you have foxers in your area?

(Is this for sure a little foxer?).

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2019), HRT4SQRLS (03-27-2019)

Photos please.

Most likely fox squirrels found in the NE region of AL. will be (Sciurus Bachmani) the Upland Fox Squirrel. These are photos of a few adults.

I found this online.

Alabama, Northeast:

Alabama, Northeast region, DeKalb County (Collinsville)..... 256-524-4150 or 256-458-4051

Ty Harris (director), Bluegrass Farms Wildlife Sanctuary bluegrassfarm@juno.com

Her first picture looks like a grey (white belly) and I wish the second of when she is presumably older also included that belly. If it is white, she is likely a grey and not a fox.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2019)

I agree this squirrel is very likely an E. Gray squirrel, as they are the more commonly found species.

One key coloration difference with the Southern Fox Squirrel (whose population borders this region to the direct north),

who also have a white underside (venter), save for those that are 'melanistic' (dark coated), is that this subspecies of Fox squirrel

has a distinct black facial mask and white nose/muzzle, toe tips, and ears, that the E. Gray Squirrel hasn't.

For future reference, this is how a Southern Fox squirrel with a white underside may look like in this region.