Thread: 5 week old fox squirrel?

Mikachan Guest

Question 5 week old fox squirrel?

Hello all!
    My name is Micah, I am a new-ish squirrel momma. I have had this (I believe she is 5weeks old) baby girl for about 5 days now.

On my brothers birthday I went into town and on my way there, I saw a baby squirrel in the road. I knew better than to just go ahead and pick it up. I left her there for two hours while I sat in my car on the phone with my mom. Questioning if I should raise her and release her. After doing many hours of research I have decided to do so.

When I picked her up, she didnt fight me, she had ants on her... very skinny and her eyes seemed almost like they were sunken in... I figured mom has been dead or gone for some days...

I have a parakeet birdcage for her. No shelves yet, I personally don't think she should be climbing yet.

At first she didnt move much, or make any noises.
    She really doesnt make noises to be honest. Sort of worries me that maybe I'm not doing something right?

Oh! And before anyone freaks, I am feeding her correct. I am feeding by body weight, and using a 1cc syringe (though she acts like she could use a 3cc syringe lol) and also using a very small ninnie.
    She is feeding on formula, esbilac, with the probiotics.
    I did rehydrate her before doing any of this. As well as get the fleas and dirt and ants off of her in a bath.

She has done an 360 ever since.

Another question... now, I do intend to release her, but I cant help feel so dang awful... she seems so lonely in her cage, so I'll gently keep her in my pocket of my hoodie and roam around. Sometimes I'll let her nap after she's done eating to make sure shes warm. She does have a heating pad on half of her cage (always on low). I just worry she will become too dependent on me and wont live a happy squirrel life... I also dont want to make her sick by having her on me a lot (I'm not sure if they are like other rodents in that sense).

She is using her back legs more now, since I've had her. Becoming more mobile and curious. Eyes wide open, looking less dull. And nose seems nice and normal. My big issue is... did I find a runt? Her ears arent like normal squirrels her age? (Which i could be completely wrong about...) it seems they are taking a longer time to "open up?"

Also she has no sign of pneumonia. But she does do a lot of bruxing(sp?)?? I'm not sure if shes just teething or if she is "talking" to me like my rats used to...

Sorry for such a long message! I'm going to try and post some pictures. Thank you oh so much for everything!

Mikachan Guest

Default Re: 5 week old fox squirrel?

Name:  IMG_20190325_223632_129.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  130.7 KB

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mikachan from:

Mel1959 (03-26-2019)

I love foxers. Can you show a picture of her whole body? Can you tell us her wt and how much you feed her and maybe we can help know if she is a runt. You saved her little life! Thank you and welcome to the squirrel board.

Please know that we don’t ‘freak’ about diet, but it is a VERY important part of sustaining life. Thank you for giving us the info ahead of time. In order to help people with their babies we need basic information. We aren’t mind readers, wish we were, it would be so much easier. Pictures help us a whole lot!

Feel free to cuddle her and carefully carry her around. They are very adorable and need to be loved on. They are orphans and need to be taken care of like its momma would. They are usually quiet babies. Sounds like you are doing a good job.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (03-26-2019)

Mikachan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I love foxers. Can you show a picture of her whole body? Can you tell us her wt and how much you feed her and maybe we can help know if she is a runt. You saved her little life! Thank you and welcome to the squirrel board.

Please know that we don’t ‘freak’ about diet, but it is a VERY important part of sustaining life. Thank you for giving us the info ahead of time. In order to help people with their babies we need basic information. We aren’t mind readers, wish we were, it would be so much easier. Pictures help us a whole lot!

Feel free to cuddle her and carefully carry her around. They are very adorable and need to be loved on. They are orphans and need to be taken care of like its momma would. They are usually quiet babies. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

I unfortunately do not know how much she weighs. I have not been able to go to Walmart and obtain the scale.
    I can tell you (and zhow you more adorable pictures of lily) that she is peeing on her own/pooping on her own. She is exploring more. And also loves to eat 2 full 3cc syringes of esbilac. I'm going to try and upload a bunch more photos so you can see! She is on esbilac formula with whipping cream and I'm mixing the formula with water. I have a couple rodent blocks in her cage. She hasnt been too excited about them. But I'm going to keep trying to get her to notice them.

Also, this morning she woke me up by bruxing again? I hope that's an okay thing for her to be doing...

She also took a liking to some of my banana. But I didnt let her have too much wince I wasnt sure if she was old enough, plus I didnt want to her her belly

Also, how does one simulate another squirrel in play? I have her stuffed animal dog that she loves (no eyes, ears, tags....etc. but she hasnt played with him much. Anyway! I'll upload some pics.

Mikachan Guest

Name:  20190326_082030.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  46.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.