Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alli amputation area smells bad

Default Alli amputation area smells bad

Been to Dr for antibiotics and been flushing the site. Dr says she looks great but the smell coming from her smells like poopy road kill!! Dr says she is ok. I am not so sure. No fever, no pus just aweful smell. Is this normal????

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Crystal from:

redwuff (03-23-2019)

Default Re: Alli amputation area smells bad

Can you get a 2nd opinion, from another vet? I don't think it should smell like what you describe... I dunno...
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Can you get a 2nd opinion, from another vet? I don't think it should smell like what you describe... I dunno...
    There are 2 vets that she sees, they both did surgery and say the same thing....

What antibiotics did they prescribe? A healthy wound shouldn't smell.

Have they seen and smelled the wound? If not, I would bulldoze my way into the office with her and MAKE them smell it.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Crystal (03-24-2019), Milo's Mom (03-24-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Your nose doesn't lie. As someone that fought a huge infection and abscessed leg amputation site...do not let those vets tell you no!
    Make them smell her!
    Mine went from good looking site to holy hell WTF is going on and she blew up bigger than a golf ball in 24 hours.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Crystal (03-24-2019), Grinderhead (03-24-2019)

What does the surgical site look like?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ctmom from:

Crystal (03-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Been to Dr for antibiotics and been flushing the site. Dr says she looks great but the smell coming from her smells like poopy road kill!! Dr says she is ok. I am not so sure. No fever, no pus just aweful smell. Is this normal????

100% NO ... THIS IS A 911 EMERGENCY!

I assume the smell is coming from the wound. If you can’t get antibiotics from the vet, we will get antibiotics to you but you need them MUCH sooner than later!

Do NOT let them give you Baytril!

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Crystal (03-24-2019), Grinderhead (03-24-2019), Nancy in New York (03-24-2019), stepnstone (03-24-2019)

They have seen her 3 times this week.Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They have smelled it and she is on antibiotics. Also told we put peroxide mix on it 2 times a day quickly and dab with cotton. Site is no swollen at all and looks much better. But the smell is still rank. I will get pictures for you. She is on Veralox, 1.2 mil once a day.

They have seen her 3 times this week.Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They have smelled it and she is on antibiotics. Also told we put peroxide mix on it 2 times a day quickly and dab with cotton. Site is no swollen at all and looks much better. But the smell is still rank. I will get pictures for you. She is on Veralox, 1.2 mil once a day.
    Unbelievable!
    First the smell and now this and on an amputated site, I'd be losing my sh*t!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Crystal (03-24-2019)

I wrote dates and info on each pic. Any info will be most helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Unbelievable!
    First the smell and now this and on an amputated site, I'd be losing my sh*t!
    You know we are!!! I just don't want this poor baby to suffer any! She has had enough. But she is walking fine and does not seem to be in any pain! She is doing great other than the ooze and smell. ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

100% NO ... THIS IS A 911 EMERGENCY!

I assume the smell is coming from the wound. If you can’t get antibiotics from the vet, we will get antibiotics to you but you need them MUCH sooner than later!

Do NOT let them give you Baytril!
    She cannot take Baytril, causes her seizures to worsen.

Thanks for posting pictures, I was going to ask that you do.
    I'm not a vet but don't need to be to recognize an infection and
    it sure looks infected to me. If not an infection how do they (vets)
    explain why it's oozing??
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Crystal (03-24-2019)

I wonder if she is having a reaction to the sutures? It happens in humans on occassion. That wound should be dry . It looks wet and red.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ctmom from:

Crystal (03-24-2019)

Could you confirm the antibiotic. Veralox is a acid reflux medication. Veraflox in an antibiotic (pradafloxacin). It is a fluoroquinolone in the same class as Baytril (enrofloxacin). If Veraflox is what you have, it has the same potential to cause seizures as other fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

If she has been on Veraflox for 7 days, it is clear that it isn’t working. The wound should not have an odor and at this point any drainage should be decreasing, not increasing. The odor is an indication of infection caused by anaerobic bacteria. She needs to be on either Clindamycin or Metronidazole for the anaerobes. She should also be on Clavamox for aerobes. There are actually better antibiotics than Clavamox that are in the same beta lactate class. They are the more advanced generations. If he has those they could also be used.

Based on how high the amputation is I assume the vet removed the entire leg at the joint. I sure hope so as you don’t want to have to treat a bone infection. They are nightmarish to treat and some consider them manageable but not curable.

I would be respectful but I wouldn’t leave without antibiotics.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Crystal (03-24-2019), Nancy in New York (03-24-2019), stepnstone (03-24-2019), TubeDriver (03-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Thanks for posting pictures, I was going to ask that you do.
    I'm not a vet but don't need to be to recognize an infection and
    it sure looks infected to me. If not an infection how do they (vets)
    explain why it's oozing??
    Cleansing itself!!

Could you confirm the antibiotic. Veralox is a acid reflux medication. Veraflox in an antibiotic (pradafloxacin). It is a fluoroquinolone in the same class as Baytril (enrofloxacin). If Veraflox is what you have, it has the same potential to cause seizures as other fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

If she has been on Veraflox for 7 days, it is clear that it isn’t working. The wound should not have an odor and at this point any drainage should be decreasing, not increasing. The odor is an indication of infection caused by anaerobic bacteria. She needs to be on either Clindamycin or Metronidazole for the anaerobes. She should also be on Clavamox for aerobes. There are actually better antibiotics than Clavamox that are in the same beta lactate class. They are the more advanced generations. If he has those they could also be used.

Based on how high the amputation is I assume the vet removed the entire leg at the joint. I sure hope so as you don’t want to have to treat a bone infection. They are nightmarish to treat and some consider them manageable but not curable.

I would be respectful but I wouldn’t leave without antibiotics.
    Veraflox is correct. They said they removed all dead bone. We think it is strange they did not take more. When she stretches you can see the small hump inside stretching also. We are livid over this whole thing. My husband is taking her back in tomorrow to be very BLUNT! As I know he will be.

Cleansing itself!!
    Crystal, I just dealt with a major surgical wound on my mothers shoulder. She fell and dislocated the shoulder and broke off the head of the humerus (upper arm). The jagged bone tore through the tissue and almost exited near the collar bone. You could see the jagged bone but thankfully it stayed under the skin. It could not be set without surgery. They tried twice... no go. She had a 5-6 incision that extended across the top of the collarbone area down the arm. It was a frightful sight. Not one time did it ooze. It never turned pink or red. Frankly it was the most awesome incision I’ve ever seen. In 14 days the wound was completely healed and sutures removes. The scar looks like it was closed by a plastic surgeon. This was a very bad surgery with a lot of tissue trauma from the break.

A surgical wound should never look angry or even suspect. I can see a small amount of oozing initially being normal as serious fluid exits but this far post surgery any ‘normal’ drainage should have stopped.

The movement with stretching is odd. I sure hope they didn’t leave a bone stump inside.

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Crystal (03-24-2019), Nancy in New York (03-24-2019), stepnstone (03-24-2019), TubeDriver (03-24-2019)

Crystal, I just dealt with a major surgical wound on my mothers shoulder. She fell and dislocated the shoulder and broke off the head of the humerus (upper arm). The jagged bone tore through the tissue and almost exited near the collar bone. You could see the jagged bone but thankfully it stayed under the skin. It could not be set without surgery. They tried twice... no go. She had a 5-6 incision that extended across the top of the collarbone area down the arm. It was a frightful sight. Not one time did it ooze. It never turned pink or red. Frankly it was the most awesome incision I’ve ever seen. In 14 days the wound was completely healed and sutures removes. The scar looks like it was closed by a plastic surgeon. This was a very bad surgery with a lot of tissue trauma from the break.

A surgical wound should never look angry or even suspect. I can see a small amount of oozing initially being normal as serious fluid exits but this far post surgery any ‘normal’ drainage should have stopped.

The movement with stretching is odd. I sure hope they didn’t leave a bone stump inside.
    Bless her heart! Glad they got her fixed up finally! No I don't think my baby is goo either. I hope they can give us a better plan tomorrow. I know this needs to be handled now and quickly. That is the reason for her going to the vet 3 times last week!

My girl had a crush injury sustained out in the wild.
    Her foot turned necrotic, infection traveled up leg into bone.
    Leg was amputated, picture taken 3 days after amputation.

Name:  AnnieRS.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  11.9 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Crystal (03-24-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast