Thread: OUCH! What is going on with her!?

Default OUCH! What is going on with her!?

The girl we have we found back in September 2018. We had to overwinter her. She’s about ready for release (weather is more consistent now) and I’m praying she takes off and enjoys her life.

In the event she decides she is not leaving, I’m wondering about a change in her. We have a morning routine that has worked for a really long time. I give her two blocks cut up in her hammock. She goes up to the hammock and eats her blocks while I fix her blankets in the bottom of her cage and put her vegetable plate in.

Last week I was running late for work and asked my husband to handle the routine. He does not like dealing with her (she’s not that fond of him). I gave him exact instructions and he says he followed them to a T. On that day SHE didn’t follow the routine. No big deal he didn’t have to do it again, I assumed it was bc she’s not fond of him and he’s essentially scared of her.

However, since then she hasn’t followed the routine for me either. Instead she’ll eat that first piece of block or sometimes just hold it in her mouth and then jet out of the cage door. She’s been going back in by herself to eat the rest of her blocks when she finishes with the first piece.

Sorry this is so long...
    Yesterday she lost it. She all out attacked me. Then kept coming back to do it again and again. I noticed the night before that she stashed her almond instead of eating it. Normally you can’t give her an almond if she is outside the cage bc she’s super feisty about them. She hardly ever gets them, maybe once a week before bed and the few times I can’t get her back into the cage when I need her to. She’s never stashed almonds.

When I gave her the blocks yesterday the same as we do every morning she stashed the first piece. Then she went to the hammock and I waited until then to start fixing her blanket on her cage floor and putting her vegetable plate on top of it. As soon as I reached into the cage she came after me. She got in a pretty good bite on the palm area below my thumb. Then another few other places on my hands, not as bad. I reacted. I flung my hand as if it was a bug on my hand and she was gone. Then she came back for more, and more. Each time I reacted by flinging my arm bc it hurt and I knew from the first bite that she would get off. I was nowhere near her cage at that point.

I was able to put a jacket on with my hands in the sleeves and a bit of avocado on one sleeve. She got on my arm, I stuck it in her cage near her hammock and she went right to the remainder of her blocks.

A) I’m sure she’s traumatized, we both are. B) I’m heartbroken that she may not ever trust me again bc of my reaction to her biting me. She’s a wild animal I don’t blame her and I cried quite a bit afterwards bc we’ve had such a bond and I was very afraid that I’d hurt her in the chaos when I flung my hand.

Any idea why she would all of a sudden want to stash things that she normally would finish immediately and want more (her blocks and almonds)? I suspect she’d stashed more and I got near it without realizing it.

Is she at the age to be in heat? Estimating her to be about 7 months. I didn’t have anything else going on different such as new shampoo or anything like that.

Default Re: OUCH! What is going on with her!?

Heya,

First off: hugs to you. I know how heartbreaking it can be when your super-sweet baby suddenly seems to go nuts and attack. I know for me, I wondered if it was something I did, but honestly everyone here will tell you that if it's not a change in your scent (shower, fragrance, deodorant, etc.) or a hidden stash it could very well be that it's just that time in her life/time of the year. It was for my tiny Luke; he was my sweetest but when it was time for him to go he wilded up in a hurry.

From what I can tell, my own Daisy-girl has always been the nest-builder and the protector of the hearth-- she'd tolerate her brothers but it was clear she was the lady in charge. Like your girl, mine would quietly let me clean and straighten-- until it came to approaching her nest. I just learned to leave it be, knowing that she'll keep it cleaner than I ever would. Fortunately, she is still distractable with a dried apricot, so that's how I get in and clean up the potty spots.

I'm not the pro that most people here are, but I did want to reach out and let you know that sometimes it really isn't anything you did, there's not a whole lot you can do beyond make sure there are no stashes (I accidentally left ONE almond under a blanket, and they were insane over it), and if nothing else feel good that she's learning how to survive out in the wild and possibly defend any babies she will eventually have. You did well to get her to this point, and even if she's a ball of hormones smelling spring on the air, she actually does still love you and somewhere in her fluffy little heart loves you for giving her the loving home that you've provided.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Vox from:

island rehabber (03-22-2019)

She could definitely be coming into her first estrus cycle. When they do they are definitely a b***h on wheels! First, clean our her cage of all caches of nuts. Be very selective of when, and how many, nuts you give. I’m not sure what your temperatures are where you live, but if they are getting tepid it might be a good idea to transition her to a RC where you have limited interaction with her so she can continue the wilding up process. Sometimes they can get a scent from an open window and it reinforces their desire to be free. A good soft release process should have her in arelease cage for 2-3 weeks as she acclimated to the sights and sounds of the wild squirrels. Then when the portal is open and she gets to experience the trees for the first time, she may or may not come back. If she comes back please continue to feed her in the release cage and close her up at night and let her out in the morning.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (03-22-2019)

Smile Re: OUCH! What is going on with her!?

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Heya,

First off: hugs to you. I know how heartbreaking it can be when your super-sweet baby suddenly seems to go nuts and attack. I know for me, I wondered if it was something I did, but honestly everyone here will tell you that if it's not a change in your scent (shower, fragrance, deodorant, etc.) or a hidden stash it could very well be that it's just that time in her life/time of the year. It was for my tiny Luke; he was my sweetest but when it was time for him to go he wilded up in a hurry.

From what I can tell, my own Daisy-girl has always been the nest-builder and the protector of the hearth-- she'd tolerate her brothers but it was clear she was the lady in charge. Like your girl, mine would quietly let me clean and straighten-- until it came to approaching her nest. I just learned to leave it be, knowing that she'll keep it cleaner than I ever would. Fortunately, she is still distractable with a dried apricot, so that's how I get in and clean up the potty spots.

I'm not the pro that most people here are, but I did want to reach out and let you know that sometimes it really isn't anything you did, there's not a whole lot you can do beyond make sure there are no stashes (I accidentally left ONE almond under a blanket, and they were insane over it), and if nothing else feel good that she's learning how to survive out in the wild and possibly defend any babies she will eventually have. You did well to get her to this point, and even if she's a ball of hormones smelling spring on the air, she actually does still love you and somewhere in her fluffy little heart loves you for giving her the loving home that you've provided.
    I think it was just so unexpected and ultimately my concern is if she refuses to leave. You’re reply hit me emotionally bc although I know somewhere in my mind that I’ve done the best I can with her it’s different when you hear it from someone else. Thank you for that.

I too think she is ready to go. Your hubby may have inadvertently ramped up her instincts. After all, testosterone is testosterone. Perhaps a light bulb went on in her, er . . . head?
    That said, please review all your scents (shampoo, conditioner, soap, perfumes, medication, etc. ANYTHING that would make you not smell like you. They are very farsighted and can't see things close up. Sounds like you may already know about the stash possibility.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

island rehabber (03-22-2019), Mel1959 (03-22-2019)

Smile Re: OUCH! What is going on with her!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    She could definitely be coming into her first estrus cycle. When they do they are definitely a b***h on wheels! First, clean our her cage of all caches of nuts. Be very selective of when, and how many, nuts you give. I’m not sure what your temperatures are where you live, but if they are getting tepid it might be a good idea to transition her to a RC where you have limited interaction with her so she can continue the wilding up process. Sometimes they can get a scent from an open window and it reinforces their desire to be free. A good soft release process should have her in arelease cage for 2-3 weeks as she acclimated to the sights and sounds of the wild squirrels. Then when the portal is open and she gets to experience the trees for the first time, she may or may not come back. If she comes back please continue to feed her in the release cage and close her up at night and let her out in the morning.
    Thank you for the quick reply. I’m going to read up on the release specifics so that we can do this right. I fully believe she will go, I want her to go and have the life she’s supposed to in the trees, not in a cage. It’ll be just as heartbreaking as yesterday was if she decides not to go.

Fingers crossed it goes well.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JFo:

island rehabber (03-22-2019), Vox (03-22-2019)

It is a very rare scenario when they don’t head for the trees! That doesn’t mean they won’t hang around, it just means they are living the life nature intended for them.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (03-23-2019)