Thread: About 6 week old healthy grey just lost mom today

Tuesdaysgirl Guest

Question About 6 week old healthy grey just lost mom today

I have been handed about a 6 week old baby grey squirrel whose mother was killed. It's a little boy he's very healthy but I'm not sure how to start out with a 6 week old. It has been years since I've even raised a little squirrel, the past few years I have a rehabs raccoons but all of the babies that I have ever gotten were newborns. I have always had a lot of success of course transitioning them with Pedialyte but then feeding with goat's milk. This baby being 6 weeks old... Should I still transition and start out with goat's milk or should I go straight to the squirrel cubes. I just don't know. Thanks for anyone's help. I just couldn't lose him and yes I do plan on rehabbing him and not keeping. Thanks.

Default Re: About 6 week old healthy grey just lost mom today

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdaysgirl View Post
    I have been handed about a 6 week old baby grey squirrel whose mother was killed. It's a little boy he's very healthy but I'm not sure how to start out with a 6 week old. It has been years since I've even raised a little squirrel, the past few years I have a rehabs raccoons but all of the babies that I have ever gotten were newborns. I have always had a lot of success of course transitioning them with Pedialyte but then feeding with goat's milk. This baby being 6 weeks old... Should I still transition and start out with goat's milk or should I go straight to the squirrel cubes. I just don't know. Thanks for anyone's help. I just couldn't lose him and yes I do plan on rehabbing him and not keeping. Thanks.
    A 6 week old would still be nursing and will need to be on formula.
    With all intakes you want to start out with hydrating then transition to formula.
    Recommended formula for squirrels is Esbilac puppy formula with the pre and pro biotics.
    *(pictured below) Powered, never liquid. Fox valley 20/50 is another recommended formula.
    Goat's milk is sometimes used with special cases that are not tolerating "regular" formulas
    and usually short term as it does not have all the nutrients needed for a growing baby.

I'm attaching the link to baby squirrel care, Go to this link this will be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb - NEW.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  75.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (03-22-2019), island rehabber (03-22-2019), Mel1959 (03-23-2019), redwuff (03-22-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.