Thread: Advice Pls: Suspected Sarcoptic Mange (FYI - no humans cannot catch this)

Default Advice Pls: Suspected Sarcoptic Mange (FYI - no humans cannot catch this)

There's a bunch of new soil being placed on Harvard's campus and a lot of sweet squirrels who, as far as I know, might be molting, but I fear might be experiencing sarcoptic mange (again, no, humans will not catch this). I guess I need to:

1. Figure out if I am right.
    2. Decide how to treat the squirrels with the least fur. Right now there is only one I am aware of, but I am wary that there will be more as I saw a really bare squirrel about a month ago on the other side of campus. (Maybe we should not be too aggressive in case either I am not the only one helping it, or if she is pregnant since it's also mating season.)
    3. What, if anything, to do to that soil. I remember something about diatomacious earth, but not only would this require a lot, but I fear that if the wind comes, it could blow in sweet little squirrel eyes, which would be terrible and IMO the mange would be better.

Suggestions please!

PS - I am not a rehabber so feel free to correct me on any point.

Default Re: Advice Pls: Suspected Sarcoptic Mange (FYI - no humans cannot catch this)

Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans. Demodex mange is not. Mange is caused by poor nutrition. Treated with an antifungal shampoo and steroids to control the itching. Rubbing the raw skin with coconut oil helps. Supplementing the diet with omega 3 oil can help.