Thread: Fox Valley Powder refrigeration and squirrel block prep

Default Fox Valley Powder refrigeration and squirrel block prep

Hello! I apologize if this a a silly question or if the answer should be obvious, but I just don’t want to risk any mistakes. I initially made the mistake of leaving my first batch of opened esbilac power unrefrigerated for a few days. Luckily my babies are fine, but one had a brief period of indigestion that resolved with a new properly stored container of esbilac.

However I am now switching to Fox Valley 20/50 since their eyes have opened. Do I need to refrigerate that powder as well? I have already put it in the fridge just in case.

And they babies are starting to nibble on whatever they can get their teeth on. I am going to leave some crumbled squirrel block for them to get started on. How do you recommend thawing the blocks? Do you leave them out as needed to thaw at room temp, or heat them somehow? And should I leave it in a little bowl for them? Any advice at all regarding this would be very helpful.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Fox Valley Powder refrigeration and squirrel block prep

I always keep all formula powders in the FREEZER. It mixes just fine straight from the freezer and that is the best way I know to keep it in top condition.

First, on behalf of your babies, don't crumble the blocks!! That is 3/4 of the fun! Give them whole. How in the heck is a baby gonna wrestle with them if they are crumbled
    up?

You can even put them in there while still frozen - they thaw very quickly. If you don't want to do that, just put a couple in a sealed container in the fridge at night and they will be ready in the AM.

The one thing you DO want to do is police for stashes. You don't want them to stash these for weeks because in that time they WILL start to mold and get nasty. I yank all uneaten blocks and big pieces when the cage gets cleaned in the AM and save them to be used to make all sorts of squirrel treats - too costly to just throw them away.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

gunpackingrandma (03-20-2019), Jeltje (04-13-2019), madameflan (03-20-2019)

Default Re: Fox Valley Powder refrigeration and squirrel block prep

Perfect, thank you so much for the great advice!!