Thread: Dead squirrel cause?

Macylizt Guest

Unhappy Dead squirrel cause?

I’ve had this baby squirrel for over 3 weeks and he was growing and was healthy and moved a lot and ate well. He was 6-7 weeks old so we took I’m off his heating pad. It was off for about 38 hours and we found him yesterday morning cold and he wouldn’t eat and he didn’t want to move. We put him on a heating pad. A few hours later we he was dead and stiff. What was he cause of his death? We had him so long and he was doing perfectly and moving just the day prior. We’re heartbroken

Default Re: Dead squirrel cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Macylizt View Post
    I’ve had this baby squirrel for over 3 weeks and he was growing and was healthy and moved a lot and ate well. He was 6-7 weeks old so we took I’m off his heating pad. It was off for about 38 hours and we found him yesterday morning cold and he wouldn’t eat and he didn’t want to move. We put him on a heating pad. A few hours later we he was dead and stiff. What was he cause of his death? We had him so long and he was doing perfectly and moving just the day prior. We’re heartbroken
    I'm sorry, very sad to have this happen. He was probably not ready to be off heat. When you took him off it, was he already avoiding it by moving to the part of the container where there was no heat? I let my rehab babies tell me when they are ready to be off heat, because they move away from it as far as they can. If he was not doing this, he probably still needed it. Some babies need heat longer, and some homes are warmer than others. Best to let them tell you when they're ready.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Dead squirrel cause?

I am so sorry to hear this. Can you post the last picture you have of him while he was still alive? Sometimes you can see things in a picture that might help us to figure things out. What formula did you feed him? What did he weigh when he came in and what was his wt before he died.

This is so hard
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.