Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Eight week old red squirrel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Eight week old red squirrel

    Hey yall! I have an eight(approx) week old male red squirrel we call Cashew. We have had him since he was around a week old. His tree was cut down, and the rehabber would only take two of the three. He has been on Fox Valley since about four days after we got him. He currently weighs 327g, and it is becomming a fight to get him to take his formula. I know he is too young to wean, but it seems like that is what he is doing. He gets Tekland rodent blocks(I have Henrys on the way as I type this) fresh from the freezer every morning, as well as Boo balls I made him. He eats them both well, so we introduced some veggies. He gets small portions on avacado, dandelion greens, romaine, cabbage, and carrot. Not all at once, I rotate them out. Any suggestions on how to keep him wanting his formula? I am getting worried that he wont get the right nutrition for his little growing body. I am open to any and all suggestion! Anything I need to change?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanked: 4149

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    How often and how much is he eating?

    Welcome to TSB.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    How often and how much is he eating?

    Welcome to TSB.
    He was eating 13ml 4x a day, but now I can only get about 8ml in him before he refuses. He wont even take it at every feed. I have held back everything except Boo balls and rodent block the past two days, and it didnt make a difference. He has a great appetite, just not for his formula anymore. I also think that I need to add that he has three water bottles throughout his cage, and drinks from them all day long.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanked: 4149

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Everything sounds really great. You have done everything right! Now is the time to start cutting back on the number of times to feed. Cut back to 3 times and just let them eat as much as they want. They are eating great stuff. Their nutritional needs are being met. If they donít want to eat 3 times a day take them back to 2 times.

    We would love to see pictures!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Everything sounds really great. You have done everything right! Now is the time to start cutting back on the number of times to feed. Cut back to 3 times and just let them eat as much as they want. They are eating great stuff. Their nutritional needs are being met. If they donít want to eat 3 times a day take them back to 2 times.

    We would love to see pictures!
    You have no idea how happy that makes me!! I thought he needed more formula. I would love to post pics, but have no idea how to.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Trying to figure out how to add a picName:  20190319_131552.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  111.2 KBName:  20190319_131552.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  111.2 KB

  7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CashewsMama1:

    lennysmom (03-21-2019), Nancy in New York (03-20-2019), stepnstone (03-20-2019)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Name:  20190319_144407.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  103.6 KB
    I give him tons of strips of fleece to make his bed. He loves snuggling up in his little cave thing I made him.

  9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CashewsMama1:

    Nancy in New York (03-20-2019), TubeDriver (03-20-2019)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanked: 4149

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    oh my, you have a fox squirrel there. He is gorgeous!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

    stepnstone (03-20-2019)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    oh my, you have a fox squirrel there. He is gorgeous!
    Is that the same as "red"? I honestly dont know. I had zero knowledge of squirrels until seven weeks ago when I got him. Thank you! I am pretty partial to him. I was told to "throw him in the woods and let nature take its course" but there was no way I could do that. He is strong and healthy. He needed a chance. We made it through a major bout of diarrhea three weeks ago, and he bounced back fast. Lots of research has helped a ton. He has a bad leg, but it doesnt seem to cause any pain or anything like that. I am pretty sure he was just born with the bag leg. It just makes climbing difficult. He falls from the cage often still, so I have made sure he has lots of fleece bedding to soften his falls. I honestly dont know if he will be able to be released or not. I guess that depends on his leg and climbing skills in the future.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,476
    Thanked: 8609

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Name:  7BF3247B-4FCB-45E4-B61C-784D0244EB46.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  30.0 KB
    This is a Fox Squirrel. They are big. (Can be up to 1000grams or more)

    Name:  2DF07BD9-88E0-48D8-9285-C1F99642EB92.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  89.4 KB
    This is an American Red Squirrel. They are tiny. (About 300grams)

  14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    gunpackingrandma (03-20-2019), lennysmom (03-21-2019), Mel1959 (03-20-2019), Nancy in New York (03-20-2019), stepnstone (03-20-2019)

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Name:  7BF3247B-4FCB-45E4-B61C-784D0244EB46.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  30.0 KB
    This is a Fox Squirrel. They are big. (Can be up to 1000grams or more)

    Name:  2DF07BD9-88E0-48D8-9285-C1F99642EB92.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  89.4 KB
    This is an American Red Squirrel. They are tiny. (About 300grams)
    I had no idea!! Fox squirrels here are called red squirrels. Looks like I will have a big ole boy on my hands!!

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,476
    Thanked: 8609

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by CashewsMama1 View Post
    I had no idea!! Fox squirrels here are called red squirrels. Looks like I will have a big ole boy on my hands!!
    Yep

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Yep
    I see why you all rescue these babies. They are so precious!! I had anticipated him wanting more and more formula for the next 6 or so weeks. Lol, I just got another delivery from Fox Valley with another 3.5lbs, and ultra boost. Looks like lots of Boo balls will be made!

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    I hope yall dont mind if I ask another question... I dont know what will happen long term with him being that he has a bad leg. I also know he needs Vit d and plenty of calcium. The problem is that we do not live in an area that I can take him outside. I know that light through a window is filtered, so that wont work. How do I provide that Vit D for him? Will the amount in the HHB be enough to keep him healthy until his possible release? What about long term if he cant be released? I am willing to do whatever I need to do to keep him safe and healthy.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,232
    Thanked: 6641

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    If you need to supplement his Vitamin D you can do that by purchasing a reptile UVA/UVB bulb and placing it on top of his cage. They are much cheaper if purchased online. The most economical way is to purchase the Repti-Sun 10.0 4 foot bulb and then go to a big box store like Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the fixture to put it in. That is the only size fixture that is readily available unless you purchase online the special one that goes with the bulb. I made the mistake of ordering the 3 ft bulb and couldnít find an off the shelf fixture to use with it. Ugh!

    Place the light on the top of the cage and plug it into an automatic timer so it comes on for about 4 hrs a day. The intensity of the 10.0 vs the 5.0 makes it a better choice. Itís not the same as going outside for the UV rays but it will do. Do not give calcium powder that has vitamin D in it, it can be lethal in large amounts. If you are adding additional calcium to anything it should be just calcium.

    Remember the bulb needs to be replaced about every 6 months. Although it will continue to work and light, it will not emit enough UV rays to do any good.

    You should really observe him and his leg prior to releasing him. Itís crucial that he be able to climb and jump so he doesnít become food for a predator.

  20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    stepnstone (03-20-2019)

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you need to supplement his Vitamin D you can do that by purchasing a reptile UVA/UVB bulb and placing it on top of his cage. They are much cheaper if purchased online. The most economical way is to purchase the Repti-Sun 10.0 4 foot bulb and then go to a big box store like Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the fixture to put it in. That is the only size fixture that is readily available unless you purchase online the special one that goes with the bulb. I made the mistake of ordering the 3 ft bulb and couldnít find an off the shelf fixture to use with it. Ugh!

    Place the light on the top of the cage and plug it into an automatic timer so it comes on for about 4 hrs a day. The intensity of the 10.0 vs the 5.0 makes it a better choice. Itís not the same as going outside for the UV rays but it will do. Do not give calcium powder that has vitamin D in it, it can be lethal in large amounts. If you are adding additional calcium to anything it should be just calcium.

    Remember the bulb needs to be replaced about every 6 months. Although it will continue to work and light, it will not emit enough UV rays to do any good.

    You should really observe him and his leg prior to releasing him. Itís crucial that he be able to climb and jump so he doesnít become food for a predator.
    Thank you so much!! Through research, I did know that Vit D can be lethal. I def do not want to use powder because of that. I was confused on if he needed light because I have read conflicting articles about HHB saying they only need them for Vit D. I just wasnt sure thats enough. Now I know. I will purchase the bulb you recomended now. As far as his leg, I am not sure how it will turn out. We for sure wouldnt release him if it isnt 100%. He wouldnt make it long. I want him to have the best life possible. The reason I cant take him outside is because we have large predators that have been known to kill small animals at my house in minutes. We also have a really bad mosquito problem. They swarm my poor dog when I take her out. I would hate for him to get bit up, and who knows what they could give him. Thank you again for your help!!

  22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CashewsMama1 from:

    Mel1959 (03-21-2019)

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanked: 4149

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Let us know how he eats when you reduce the # of feedings.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,862
    Thanked: 9275

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    What is it about his (bad) leg?
    Does it just appear weaker or is there a
    noticeable difference between the two?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  25. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 376

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    I almost had a stroke before I saw the picture of your baby! I have a darling little red who is almost three years old and weighs 269 grams. When you stated yours was 327 grams at eight weeks old I thought you must have a mutant squirrel! Lol Then common sense kicked in and knew you had a fox...

    Here is my red; he finally weaned himself off formula at two years old...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  26. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

    GoldenEyes (03-20-2019), lennysmom (03-21-2019), Mel1959 (03-21-2019), Nancy in New York (03-21-2019)

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Eight week old red squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Let us know how he eats when you reduce the # of feedings.
    I sure will! I am about to offer formula for the third time today. He still took only eight ml the first two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •