Thread: Dragging Foot: Possible Break?

Default Dragging Foot: Possible Break?

After losing my Tiny Luke I am so very heartbroken, but need to pull it together enough to make sure my other tiny boy is okay.

As soon as it's dark I'm going to close up the RC; the portal has been open all day but Daisy hasn't returned. I pray that she is okay; more prayers are always welcome for her.

Bo has somehow injured his foot. He came back this morning dragging it and has been able to hop up into the RC (I had the door wide open rather than just the small portal) so he was able to climb up to the top shelf of the enclosure and bury himself in fleece. The VERY first thing he did was drink a ton of water-- I'm guessing he was dehydrated and knew that the water bottle was a good source of clean water. I put a few butternut squash chunks up top where he then ate at least two, and a little bit of HHB. Later on he had a little avocado and some blueberries, and then went downstairs to drink from the bottle again before climbing back up to nestle into the fleeces. So I am not so worried about his appetite and hydration.

Tomorrow I am considering taking the morning off to take him to a vet. I know that some of you recommended Dr. Dan as someone I could bring my babies to-- do you think he'd be able to help me with poor little Bo? There is another squirrel vet in the area, but they won't release back to anyone else but another rehabber, but I hear that they don't charge to see squirrels. So I am torn.

Short version: Bo might have broken his foot. He is dragging it. I want him to receive good medical care, but I'm not sure what to do at the moment since money is tight but I want to know that Bo will be re-released back in the same area as his sister.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

Default Re: Dragging Foot: Possible Break?

Wilds frequently get hurt paws/feet and the VAST majority heal on their own usually in a week or two. Does he put any weight on it at all? Is it clearly broken or does the limb/leg look normal? I think I might hold off a vet visit for this injury unless the limb is clearly broken and needs to be set.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Vox (03-17-2019)

When you get Bo inside, maybe you could take a pic and post. It might help figure out if the vet is needed or not.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Vox, you are going to get a PM very shortly with my contact info. I have SAFE help for you.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Grinderhead (03-17-2019), gunpackingrandma (03-18-2019), island rehabber (03-17-2019), Mel1959 (03-17-2019), redwuff (03-17-2019)

PM sent
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (03-17-2019), Milo's Mom (03-17-2019)

email sent
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (03-17-2019), Milo's Mom (03-17-2019), redwuff (03-17-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Contact made! Thank you Redwuff and IR!! SAFE help info has been shared.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

gunpackingrandma (03-18-2019), island rehabber (03-18-2019), Mel1959 (03-17-2019), redwuff (03-17-2019)

Please keep us updated. I know how heartbreaking this must be for Vox.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Milo's Mom (03-18-2019), redwuff (03-18-2019)

UPDATE:

LATE last night my two dogs started going crazy about something outside on the wrap-around porch-- I got up to investigate and it was Tiny Miss Daisy, scampering around the corner looking guilty as sin for trying to sneak back into the enclosure in the middle of the night. I guess this is how my parents felt when I was younger-- furious that I'd stayed out past curfew, but so relieved that I was home. After letting in my errant little girl, I checked on Bo again-- his sister had crawled up into bed next to him and snuggled down, so I didn't see how his foot was doing.

Because there is a cold snap going on-- temps in the low 30's through Wednesday, I'm going to keep the babies inside. Daisy will probably be upset, but hopefully she'll keep her brother warm and in good company for the next couple of mornings through the cold. They can at least look out the window and see the nature, even if they're not out in it.

As soon as I can get video and more information to the wonderful people who have reached out to me about Bo, I will update on his status and condition.

--
    V/r,

~T.

16. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Vox:

gunpackingrandma (03-18-2019), island rehabber (03-18-2019), Mel1959 (03-18-2019), Milo's Mom (03-18-2019), Nancy in New York (03-18-2019), redwuff (03-18-2019), SammysMom (03-18-2019), TubeDriver (03-18-2019)

I’m so glad to hear Daisy came back home. She probably has no safe and warm place to sleep other than the RC. It’s VERY unusual and scary for them to move around at night?

You should consider keeping them together and in the RC till all the cold weather has passed. That would give Bo a chance to heal and someone to snuggle with. North Carolina is far enough north that I’m sure the weather is unpredictable until April. Your guys won’t be the first squirrels that have tasted freedom and had to adjust to captivity again. How old are they? I think being older and hopefully wiser when released gives them a little advantage. The first year after release is the hardest for them.

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (03-18-2019), Nancy in New York (03-18-2019), SammysMom (03-18-2019), TubeDriver (03-18-2019)