Thread: Possible MBD or head trauma

Default Possible MBD or head trauma

I have a baby girl squirrel (Spazz) about 4-4.5 weeks old. I've had her for 5 days now along with her sister(Hiccup)They were inside a dead tree that was cut down. When I got her she wasn't moving she would just lay still. She cried out a few times the first night. I got them warm hydrated and then switched to formula.(fox valley) Spazz has a scar right in the middle of her back right to the side of her backbone almost a half inch long. She couldn't use her right front leg for the first 3 days now she is putting pressure on it. She seemed to be doing ALOT better until last night. She screamed out in her carrier so I opened the door to check on her and she flew out like it was on fire. I'm pretty sure she was having a seizure. She screamed out again after I had her in my hands then she just lay there for awhile. Then all day today she was ok. Still eating and also peeing and pooping just fine. Then this evening she started twitching and shaking just not as bad as last night. I guess my question is could she possibly have MBD or is it maybe some kind of trauma? I thought she was doing pretty good til last night's episode then all day thought she was fine til she started again. Only it was like small episodes of last night. She weighs 127g. Shes eating 5 ccs every 3-4 hours. She is very willing to eat.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Staceydavis from:

Nancy in New York (03-17-2019)

Default Re: Possible MBD or head trauma

Stacey, baby squirrels don’t get MBD in the wild. At this age, she would have been nursing from mom. She would have received plenty of calcium. You’ve been giving formula so MBD is not a concern. I think trauma is the most likely cause of this.

Was the scar a healed wound or fresh trauma from the tree incident? You might have to ride this out and see how she progresses with time. It does sound like other than this everything else is progressing. Thanks for giving her and her sister a chance.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (03-17-2019), Nancy in New York (03-17-2019), Staceydavis (03-17-2019)

Thank you so much. I love them. I'm no expert by far but I'm trying. I actually thought the same thing you confirmed. Not MBD. Is it common for them to show signs days later instead of right away? The scar is healed very well. So it is not new. I don't think there was any trauma from the tree incident other than the stress. The sister Hiccup had a bloody nose and a split in her little lip from tree incident but she is all better a little smaller she is120g but doing great. Thanks for your reply.

Actually they CAN show neurological signs later. Keep the stress level low and quiet so there aren’t any external triggers that can initiate a seizure. If she has another of these I would put a little molasses or honey on her gums. It will bring up the blood sugar after a seizure.

With the lame front leg initially, I wonder if she is having nerve pains in the leg. It’s difficult to know.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Staceydavis (03-17-2019)

I actually did put syrup on her lips and gums last night as soon as she started. I think it seemed to help or I hope at least. Also I scooped her up as soon as she started and it seemed to calm her somewhat. I am definitely keeping it quiet I have 3 boys also who are healthy little boogers. About 6 weeks old. They're not in the same space though because I thought it might be too stressful and loud for her.