Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poop dark brown need help

Default Poop dark brown need help

Hi I need help, i am taking care of a baby red squirrel I think and she eats and pee's but hardly poops, I'm feeding her puppy formula untill I can buy farm valley, but I cant get her to poop mustered brown, I dont see any bloating, just dark poops and not often.
    Plzz someone help me.

Default Poop dark brown need help

Hey everyone I new to helping a baby squirrel grow. I have went online and done alot of research but still need help. So so I have a 4 week old I think red squirrel in florida, her eyes are open and she hops around. Ok so I have been feeding her puppy formula untill I can get fox Valle, so she poops, but not often and it keeps coming out dark brown, can anyone help me understand y she wont poop mustard brown like it says she should be. And sometimes the last of the poop comes out mustard brown, she has never had diarrhea. Plz help everyone.

Default Re: Poop dark brown need help

Can you post a picture of the squirrel and also the poop? If it is too difficult, you can text it to me at 2032147427.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Jaxryan (03-16-2019), Spanky (03-16-2019)

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Can you send a pic of the formula container?

She is a gray squirrel

Idk how to post pics on here from my phone but Sammy's mom I sent it to you cell phone

Your baby is probably just slightly older than 5 weeks, their eyes open around that age. How long have you had her? What does she weigh? You need to purchase a gram scale , if you don’t have one. Weigh her every morning and adjust the amount of formula you give at each feeding as necessary. As a rule we feed 5-7% of body weight per feeding.

Many times it takes a while for the babies to pass all the poop they had from their mothers milk, which produces dark stool. It can also take several feedings for babies to pass any significant amount of poop period. It depends on how long they’ve gone without food prior to being found.

What is your plan for this little one? What’s her story?

thank you for that mel. I have had her for about 1 week, I do also have a gram scale her weight is 78g.

her story, mother left and didn't come back, i think a car got her since we live on a busy main road. my parents and I left her by the tree over night and momma never came back .we found her and her brother, her brother fell from the tree and I tried my hardest but he didn't make it :'C I am hoping on releasing her back to the wild after I get her to the point where she can eat and deficit on her own if that is a smart thing to do, I would love to keep her as a pet but I have read online it is not a good thing to do so. I have always loved squirrels since I was a baby.

Default R to e: Poop dark brown need help

You need esbilac

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 03-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Jaxryan (03-16-2019)

As Sammy’s mom said, you must get the proper formula to feed her, if you want her to survive. It has to be ESBILAC POWDERED puppy formula. The can with the white puppy on the front and the blue banner at the top that reads “with pre and probiotics”. Nothing else will do. This formula can be found at Petco, Pet Supermarket, Tractor Supply, some WalMarts, some Petsmarts and sometimes small feed stores.

Mix one part powder to two parts hot water. Stir well and let it rest in the fridge for several hours befor feeding. Stir again before feeding. You don’t have to switch to Fox Valley. It’s important that you get her on the correct formula today. Liquid formulas cause diarrhea that leads to other problems.

You are aware that she will need a decent size cage to live in when she’s bigger? Many folks have single or double critter nation cages. Squirrels should not be released till they are around 16 weeks old. And then it’s done by what’s called a slow release process where the squirrel is caged outside where it can get accustomed to the noises and scents of the outdoors for 2-3 weeks. Then when released it still may return to the cage to sleep for many nights or weeks. All the while it’s best to provide food and water till it no longer needs or wants your support.

Raising a squirrel is a very involved and costly project. If there is any aspect of this that you are not capable of providing then it would be best if you would allow us to find someone to raise and release this little one. You have many weeks before she will be capable of surviving on her own. She will take formula for probably another 5 weeks or more. We let them wean themselves when they’re ready.

A good quality rodent block like Henry’s Healthy Bites or Harlan Teklad should be offered as her first food, which should be within the next week or two. Both must be purchased online. Do not feed nuts! They are treats only. A diet high in nuts will cause Metabolic Bone Disease and can kill your squirrel.

ty guys very much, for all the information i am heading to pet smart in the next 20 mins to get formula, and how is broccoli and carrots and grapes are they good for her??

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    You need esbilac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    As Sammy’s mom said, you must get the proper formula to feed her, if you want her to survive. It has to be ESBILAC POWDERED puppy formula.

Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  149.9 KB

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (03-16-2019), Nancy in New York (03-16-2019)

Gayle I edited your post to put the correct picture there.

Edit: I see that Spanky also posted the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxryan View Post
    ty guys very much, for all the information i am heading to pet smart in the next 20 mins to get formula, and how is broccoli and carrots and grapes are they good for her??
    Here is the link to the healthy diet for pet squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    You should familiarize yourself with the items in the first column as they are the most desirable to feed. Remember the first food should be a good quality rodent block as I posted. When that is being eaten well, then you can add in some veggies from column 1.

Some people say to use yogurt with the formula is this good or bad? Is it a must?

When gradually introducing the baby 2 new formula how should I do it, one place say 1/4 mixed formula and 3/4 water for first feed sec feed 2/4 of each. 3rd 3/4 formula is this correct???

Some people say to use yogurt with the formula is this good or bad? Is it a must?
    Definitely not a "must". I do not add yogurt.

When gradually introducing the baby 2 new formula how should I do it, one place say 1/4 mixed formula and 3/4 water for first feed sec feed 2/4 of each. 3rd 3/4 formula is this correct???
    Are you switching formula or introducing formula for the first time?

If introducing for the first time, I do not dilute. Once I have hydrated the baby, I start them off 100% formula (Esbilac).

If switching formulas, going 1/4 old and 3/4 new for a couple feedings, then 1/2 and 1/2 for a couple feedings, then 3/4 and 1/4 for a couple feedings then 100% new formula. Of course, if there are issues along the way, you need to adjust.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (03-17-2019), Nancy in New York (03-17-2019)

Ty spanky, I'm introducing her to new formula, I got her the wrong one so, I just got her new formula and I wanna make sure I dont mess up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast