Thread: Sudden fall

Default Sudden fall

I was doing my morning run of feeding the wilds outside, as always very happy to see me, this has been going on for going on to two years now, just now I was distributing the raw peanuts under the tree and as I done I turned to walk back and looked up, one was hanging upside down from a branch that was close to the ground so even if he feel he wouldnt be hurt, but I thought aw oh thats cool he is hanging upside down to eat his nut, but as he was hanging he curled and feel, I ran to him, ran and got him water, I did not know what to do he passed in my hands, I am so sad he is one of my wild friends for two years
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Sudden fall

Oh no RamiS! I'm so sorry. What a sad thing to happen. I'm glad you were there to offer comfort in the final moments.
    What a beautiful squirrel.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

RamiS (03-16-2019), SammysMom (03-16-2019)

I'm so sorry to read this RamiS.
    If this little one had to pass, I take comfort
    in knowing that your hands were on him for
    his final journey home.
    Thank you for caring so much for this little life lost.

Rest in Peace Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 48
Size:  701 Bytes
    Little One

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

RamiS (03-16-2019), SammysMom (03-16-2019)

I pray that it was not the peanuts that caused this!!

Poor little, I am glad you were there to protect him as he passed, even though I know it is vary hard for you. It was almost certainly not any peanuts that you give. In suburban environments, I always worry about poisons/toxins left out in neighbors yard. He looks healthy, so it is hard to say what happened.

Godspeed little one.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    I pray that it was not the peanuts that caused this!!
    Don't let that trouble your heart. It was not the peanuts. MBD is not a concern in wild squirrels. It was just a treat that he could enjoy. You would have had to put out tons of peanuts for them to completely replace their natural diet. I'm sure the competition for the nuts with the wild population ensured distribution of the nuts within the group.

I have always gave them a mix of wild HHB and raw peanuts only, in the summer they get cold water put outside to cool off, there are 8 of them, they are all my wild boys I have fed them everyday non-stop for the past 2 years, 3 of them including this one have never had to fight for food since I have been feeding them since they became adults and outside of their nest, I am very sad today, last year the same thing happened to another one that I thought was hit by a car and ended up under the tree, but now I know that was not the case, I will try to lay off the peanuts and stick with wild HHB. I tried to hold him upside down to see if he was chocking, the I put him on his back and gently tried to pump his stomach, I dropped some water in his mouth, but it was so fast, and he passed in the matter of a minute, I tried to call a friend rehabber but he did not answer.

Thank you all for your thoughts and care

Awww... I am so sorry. That is a huge loss.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RamiS (03-16-2019)

So very sorry, RamiS. Remember that squirrels are subject to the same sudden death issues as all of us mammals are, including heart attack and stroke. I will bet that he was weakened, which is why he fell -- not that the fall killed him. He enjoyed the best of both worlds in his little life, though -- free and wild, with daily goodies from YOU.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RamiS (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    So very sorry, RamiS. Remember that squirrels are subject to the same sudden death issues as all of us mammals are, including heart attack and stroke. I will bet that he was weakened, which is why he fell -- not that the fall killed him. He enjoyed the best of both worlds in his little life, though -- free and wild, with daily goodies from YOU.
    Thank you for your very kind words to you and everyone else. Now, I have to find a good resting place for him

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Mel1959 (03-16-2019), Nancy in New York (03-16-2019)