Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto, FL - Need help with baby squirrel!!

Default Palmetto, FL - Need help with baby squirrel!!

Hello!! Yesterday I had a little baby squirrel fall out of a tree and I was able to get to it before my jack Russell did ! I put my dog inside and tried to put the baby back at the base of the tree as told to see if Mom would come for her but no luck. I have read so many different things on what to feed and what not to feed and so many different opinions. I have been feeding esbilac puppy formula after rehydrating with pedialyte.. but not sure what is best. I believe she is around 3 weeks old from what I've read.. eyes still closed but has some fur and you can see 2 bottom teeth just starting to come in. I have read about the fox valley being good but then also seen a thread on here that said it was no longer good and they changed the formula. Please help!! Also .. I am in palmetto Florida.. does anyone know of any rehabbers in this area? Thanks so much!!

Default Re: Need help with baby squirrel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericacooperfl View Post
    Hello!! Yesterday I had a little baby squirrel fall out of a tree and I was able to get to it before my jack Russell did ! I put my dog inside and tried to put the baby back at the base of the tree as told to see if Mom would come for her but no luck. I have read so many different things on what to feed and what not to feed and so many different opinions. I have been feeding esbilac puppy formula after rehydrating with pedialyte.. but not sure what is best. I believe she is around 3 weeks old from what I've read.. eyes still closed but has some fur and you can see 2 bottom teeth just starting to come in. I have read about the fox valley being good but then also seen a thread on here that said it was no longer good and they changed the formula. Please help!! Also .. I am in palmetto Florida.. does anyone know of any rehabbers in this area? Thanks so much!!

Thee Esbilac is perfect as long as it is the powdered and not the premixed liquid. Hydrating and warming before feeding is super-terrific. The attempt to reunite is spot on! Fox Valley 32/40 is bad (horrible, lethal) for baby squirrels... Fox Valley 20/50 is good for babies after eyes open.

Here is a terrific primer on baby squirrel care, six pages long (there is a "Next" in the upper right to advance through the pages).
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

I am going to tweak your thread title to include Palmetto FL to catch attention of members in your area.

Thank YOU for caring for these little ones!

Last edited by Spanky; 03-15-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Yes, remembering the link helps! :-O

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Ericacooperfl (03-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Thee Esbilac is perfect as long as it is the powdered and not the premixed liquid. Hydrating and warming before feeding is super-terrific. The attempt to reunite is spot on! Fox Valley 32/40 is bad (horrible, lethal) for baby squirrels... Fox Valley 20/50 is good for babies after eyes open.

Here is a terrific primer on baby squirrel care, six pages long (there is a "Next" in the upper right to advance through the pages).

I am going to tweak your thread title to include Palmetto FL to catch attention of members in your area.

Here is the link.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Ericacooperfl (03-14-2019), Spanky (03-15-2019)

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I will read the link that you sent me.. but I did want to ask about the esbilac.. I guess I did make a mistake when it cane to that..I did get the pre mixed liquid formula..it says milk replacer plus.. I didn't know there was a difference!! Do you know what the difference in using the liquid versus the powder? I will for sure go out and find the powder somewhere tomorrow though! Unfortunately..pet stores are already closed tonight. Thank you again!

Default Re: Palmetto, FL - Need help with baby squirrel!!

Erica, unfortunately the 2 are very different. The liquid pre mixed Esbilac will cause diarrhea. It happens every time the liquid is used. The powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotic and probiotics is the proper formula. It is available at pet retailers. It is also available on Amazon for a fraction of the cost for future purchases.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Ericacooperfl (03-14-2019)

.. but I did want to ask about the esbilac.. I guess I did make a mistake when it cane to that..I did get the pre mixed liquid formula..it says milk replacer plus.. I didn't know there was a difference!! Do you know what the difference in using the liquid versus the powder?
    An easy mistake to make... one would think they were pretty much the same, but they are not! Lots of people have bought the liquid for convenience only to cause diarrhea and THEN learning there are significant differences.

It is ridiculous that they sell the two under the same brand name.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Ericacooperfl (03-15-2019)

An easy mistake to make... one would think they were pretty much the same, but they are not! Lots of people have bought the liquid for convenience only to cause diarrhea and THEN learning there are significant differences.

It is ridiculous that they sell the two under the same brand name.
    Yes that is ridiculous and very misleading! I had went to my local Walmart and the liquid was all they had. So last night I went online looking at pet stores to see who has it in stock so I would be prepared to go get it today. Looks like PetSmart has it but I don't see on the can where it says now with probiotics and prebiotics..so that is the wrong one to get right? It had a picture of a white puppy.. they also had several different brands like GNC and petlac or something. GNC had several different puppy ones. Some with more fat than others and then another that said goat milk formula.. I just want to make sure I'm doing right!

Yes that is ridiculous and very misleading! I had went to my local Walmart and the liquid was all they had. So last night I went online looking at pet stores to see who has it in stock so I would be prepared to go get it today. Looks like PetSmart has it but I don't see on the can where it says now with probiotics and prebiotics..so that is the wrong one to get right? It had a picture of a white puppy.. they also had several different brands like GNC and petlac or something. GNC had several different puppy ones. Some with more fat than others and then another that said goat milk formula.. I just want to make sure I'm doing right!
    GNC and others will not work. Though they use Royale Canine in Europe and I am seeing that more here in the states. If you have a Tractor Supply, they usually have it. The third ingredient should be "dried whey protein" (we use this when the banner is missing).

Attached Images Attached Images   

I am away from my rehabber notebook right now, but I believe there is someone in Bradenton. I know there is someone in Hudson, if you aren’t too far from there. I’m not too familiar with that side of the state. If you can send me a private message with your contact info I will pass it on to the folks that are near you.

Can you get the baby to someone, if necessary?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

I’m trying to find someone.

Can admin email this person. I have someone that can take it if she can get it to Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I am away from my rehabber notebook right now, but I believe there is someone in Bradenton. I know there is someone in Hudson, if you aren’t too far from there. I’m not too familiar with that side of the state. If you can send me a private message with your contact info I will pass it on to the folks that are near you.

Can you get the baby to someone, if necessary?
    Hi ..I'm sorry I couldn't get back with you right away!! Tampa is about an hour or so away from me.. you said you knew someone in Bradenton that could possibly take her? That is much closer. I have emailed a wildlife rehabber on Bradenton beach that I am waiting to hear back from...

I thought I did, but when I checked my book I discovered I was wrong. The person in Tampa is transporting some squirrels to a rehabber in Hudson tomorrow. Your little one could go along if you can get it to Tampa.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

if youre in palmetto im in bradenton rehabbing two babies. i could take yours in if anything.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to abby_eliz from:

Quote Originally Posted by abby_eliz View Post
    if youre in palmetto im in bradenton rehabbing two babies. i could take yours in if anything.
    Ok great!! I'll let you know.. she is doing great so far!! How old are your little ones ? What do you feed?

I have been contacted by another member that can take this baby. Have you made a decision about placing her?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have been contacted by another member that can take this baby. Have you made a decision about placing her?
    Where is this other member located? I am still waiting to hear back from this wildlife rescue on Bradenton beach.. she said they also have other babies right now and take in 300+ a year.. and all other kinds of animals and have many volunteers to help. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing . I will defenitly miss the little baby though. It's crazy how attached you can become when your caring for one :/ but I know I will be doing the right thing so she can be raised with other babies .

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ericacooperfl from:

Wallysdad (03-16-2019)

Hi, I am the rehabber mel is speaking of. I am licensed and do mammals. I have been rehabbing for 13vyrs. I can spend more one on one time with babies because I will not do 300 animals a year. If you can meet my sub permittee in Tampa I would welcome your baby

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to crazy4squirrels:

Mel1959 (03-16-2019), Nancy in New York (03-16-2019), Wallysdad (03-16-2019)

My vote is with crazy4squirrels -- don't take a chance with a high-volume "center" when you can place this little one with a rehabber where it will get hands-on, one-on-one attention.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

GoldenEyes (03-16-2019), Mel1959 (03-16-2019), Nancy in New York (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    My vote is with crazy4squirrels -- don't take a chance with a high-volume "center" when you can place this little one with a rehabber where it will get hands-on, one-on-one attention.
    I totally agree with island rehabber.
    You won't find any one more dedicated and knowledgeable
    to hand your precious little one over to, than crazy4squirrels.
    Whenever possible, go with someone that does far less volume, and is dedicated.
    They won't become just a "number" then.
    I would only take them to a center if I had no other options.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Wallysdad (03-16-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast