Thread: First time rescuing a baby squirrel 2-3 weeks old has diarrhea!!!

Jordan12 Guest

Exclamation First time rescuing a baby squirrel 2-3 weeks old has diarrhea!!!

Hi! I've recently taken in a baby squirrel about 2-3 weeks old. I first warmed him then hydrated him. I've been giving puppy milk through a cc syringe about three hours at a time 1.5ccs each time diluted with half water. He's recently after the first few times feeding him the milk got diarrhea. I have since switched out the feedings with milk and used water and sugar instead. When should his diarrhea clear up and what else can I do for him!!! I'm so worried.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jordan12 from:

redwuff (03-14-2019)

Default Re: First time rescuing a baby squirrel 2-3 weeks old has diarrhea!!!

Stop the sugar water, that will make the diarrhea worse. Use homemade pedialyte:
    Homemade Rehydration Fluid

• 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or apple juice
    • 2 cups warm water
    • Store in refrigerator. Discard after 24 hours.

Are you feeding the powdered Esbilac puppy formula or some other formula? Most other puppy formula's will result in diarrhea and eventually death. Cow's milk is also very bad in event "milk" really meant mil versus puppy formula.

Here is a really good primer on baby squirrel care, it is six (6) pages long; there is a "next" at the top right of the page to get to the next page.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-14-2019)

Exactly which puppy formula are you feeding? It HAS TO BE Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula with the white puppy on the can and the blue banner across the top that says “with whey protein”. No other over the counter formula will do. Mix the formula according to the package directions....one part powder to 2 parts very hot water. Mix well and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for several hours before feeding, if possible. Shake or stir well prior to feeding.

How much does your baby weigh? You need to get a gram scale at WalMart, Bed Bath and Beyond or some other store. You must weigh the baby every day and feed accordingly. We feed between 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. Stimulate before, during and after feeding, if necessary. Some babies will stop eating mid feeding because they need to urinate or defecate.

Watch how much sugar you are adding to the water. It can cause loose stools. Hydration with water should be done in between feedings, not in place of feedings.

If you can post a picture it would be helpful.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-14-2019)

First do everything above that Spanky and Mel suggested.
    You can also give a drop or 2 of Pepto Bismol.
    Their stools may turn black but not to worry.
    This discoloration is temporary and harmless.
    The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol contains bismuth.
    When small amount of bismuth combines with trace
    amounts of sulfur in your saliva dark stools can be the result.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

redwuff (03-14-2019)

Jordan12 Guest

Thank you all! I have been using the formula you have suggested and I have used the homemade Pedialyte too. I think the Pepto is my best bet. I have attached a photo of my sweet baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jordan12:

GoldenEyes (03-14-2019), Mel1959 (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan12 View Post
    Thank you all! I have been using the formula you have suggested and I have used the homemade Pedialyte too. I think the Pepto is my best bet. I have attached a photo of my sweet baby!
    So very cute!
    Is this the day he was found?
    What kind of container do you have him in now.
    Spanky posted an excellent link showing exactly
    what these little ones need as their "first home".
    Remember what Mel said.
    You need a gram scale so you know how much to feed.
    Overfeeding and the wrong formula is the #1 reason for diarrhea.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-14-2019)

Jordan,

Can you tell us what type of bin you have him in and what type of bedding you are using. A plastic bin with air holes drilled in the sides is best. He needs to have either t-shirt material to nestle in or fleece. Fleece is best. Put a few layers on the bottom and 3-5 layers on top.
    No towels cos they catch their nails on the loops.

Place the bin half on a non-shut off heating pad set to low. This baby can not thermo regulate its body temperature and he must be kept toasty but not hot. This is very important!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (03-14-2019), Nancy in New York (03-14-2019)

Jordan12 Guest

He is in a plastic bin with a heating pad underneath it halfway on half off on low temp. I have some old t shirts in the bin for bedding with plenty of air. And yes! That is the day he was found. His diarrhea has stopped now and he's doing good! Very alert. He just ate a little bit ago and is sleeping.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jordan12:

Mel1959 (03-14-2019), Nancy in New York (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-15-2019)

Sounds good!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Hi there, thanks for taking him. Where are you located in KY? If you need help you can message me at mycavacava@gmail.com

Also sent OP message with my phone number in case she has any emergencies that someone nearby can help with.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (03-14-2019), Nancy in New York (03-14-2019), redwuff (03-15-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.