Thread: Suggestions on Good Things to Chew On

Default Suggestions on Good Things to Chew On

Hi all! I was wondering what would be some good things for Rocky to chew on to keep his teeth filed down. I don't give him nuts because he has a terrible nut aggression issue. He was attacking badly and I removed all nuts from the area and stopped giving them to him and the problem went away. He is a 7 month old red squirrel, some of you may remember past post about him after I rescued him at 2wks old in August. He is doing great by the way thanks to this group!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to awhelchel:

gunpackingrandma (03-12-2019), Nancy in New York (03-12-2019), Rocky1 (03-17-2019)

Default Re: Suggestions on Good Things to Chew On

What’s your plan for Rocky? Will you be releasing him. He looks very healthy and cute!

Clean seashells, beef bones (the kind you can buy for dogs in the grocery store), hardwoods like hickory, Apple, oak, pecan, wooden bird toys (made in the USA), deer antlers are all items that they can chew on.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

awhelchel (03-12-2019)

He looks darling! Good job.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

awhelchel (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What’s your plan for Rocky? Will you be releasing him. He looks very healthy and cute!

Clean seashells, beef bones (the kind you can buy for dogs in the grocery store), hardwoods like hickory, Apple, oak, pecan, wooden bird toys (made in the USA), deer antlers are all items that they can chew on.
    Thanks for all the options I really appreciate it. To be honest I am not 100% sure yet if I am going to release him. It is something I have been thinking about all winter. I want him to be happy and I want him to be safe. His best interest has always been my top priority since I rescued him.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    He looks darling! Good job.
    Thanks redwuff!!! He really is doing great and such a little bundle of fun to be around!

Great ideas given for your fuzzy! Just want to add my experience with my red. Invest in a good exercise wheel. I was given the same advice almost three years ago from this board. Best advice ever!!! I purchased a Magnum Wheel, actually I now own six of them!!! My red must run five miles a day on it!!!

Good luck, mine is a 8oz. Chainsaw
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

Nancy in New York (03-12-2019), Rocky1 (03-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

Do you recommend boiling deer antlers to sterilize them? Somehow I thought an old thread suggested that. I thought I remembered a part about letting them cool off overnight,etc.