Thread: Sick 4 week old squirrel

Hybrid View

Ashleymccutcheon Guest

Default Sick 4 week old squirrel

Please help! I've had a 4-5 week old squirrel for 2 days. He's been fine and active and peeing. I haven't seem him poop at all since I've had him. I feed him 3-5 CCs every 4 hours or so. Today I noticed at 230 he was seizing up! I saw quickly that he was hypoglycemic. I gave him a little syrup on his mouth. He breathing was so labored, I was sure he wasn't going to make it. Well he did pull through, and I gave him a little water (homemade pedialyte water) every 30 min- hour. I thought maybe he was very constipated because of the formula, the puppy powder from Walmart. I went to the store and got ingredients to make the goat's milk and yogurt. As soon as I went to feed him, he had a little seizing fit again. Not as bad as before. I was able to get a little of the new formula in and a little syrup too in case his sugar dropped. I have him a bath and massaged his booty. It is very hard around his anus. If that is poop, I don't know how in the world i will get it out! He also isn't very bloated. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Now hes seizedName:  IMG_7106.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  71.8 KBName:  IMG_7105.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  108.7 KB three times!

Default Re: Sick 4 week old squirrel

Hi Ashley

Let’s see how we can help you. Do you know what this sweet guy weighs? He looks awfully thin. Have you hydrated him with a hydration formula and for how long. I would put him back on the puppy formula but it must be Esbilac. The type of puppy formula will not meet his nutritional needs . He needs to eat 5 -7% of his body wt.

Let me know the answers to those questions. Don’t worry about poop yet.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

What are you seeing when you say "he's seizing up?"
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Ashleymccutcheon Guest

He weighs 3.1 oz. I'm pushing fluids at the moment 4 ml of half apple juice half water. He's bloated as well. He's so very lethargic. Rubbed on him and nothing came out. Now I'm trying to keep him warm and comfortable on me.
    When he seizes, it's literally like a seizure. his back gets all arched and his eyes big and his arms go out.

Yes that sounds like a seizure. Ashley, what have you done for him since you got him. Did you hydrate him at all? We don’t know why he is seizing. Electrolyte imbalance can do it, that is why I am asking about hydration.

Do you think that is poop on his tail?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Ashleymccutcheon Guest

I’ve given him puppy formula and water, pedialyte water, and now apple juice and water. I spoke to a lady who told me to push fluids because he has to poop or he won’t make it. The color you saw on his tail was just his natural hue. However, it’s starting to seep out a little. I think it’s starting to work, , but he is still so lethargic. I pray he makes it through the night. He is a very sick baby.

Ashleymccutcheon Guest

He's with Jesus now. : ( Didn't make it through the night.

I am so sorry to hear this. Seizures are very tough to work with. Godspeed little man.

Thank you for trying everything you could Ashley. This is a heartbreak.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.