Thread: Peach tree buds

Question Peach tree buds

Its is spring here and my peach trees are loaded with buds. Is it ok for Jazz to eat these buds? She loves them i am now afraid they may not be good for her. She is only picking the buds off and not the wood. I see peach tree wood is not good for them.

Default Re: Peach tree buds

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzis Mom View Post
    Its is spring here and my peach trees are loaded with buds. Is it ok for Jazz to eat these buds? She loves them i am now afraid they may not be good for her. She is only picking the buds off and not the wood. I see peach tree wood is not good for them.
    Certainly for dogs and cats, all parts of the peach tree are to be considered toxic, so I would not. There is a fair amount of cyanide in the pits...

Maple buds are usually prized since the maple sap is sweet in the spring.

Default Re: Peach tree buds

I know this is an old question but I would like to note that we have had a peach tree for a zillion years which never gets to make any peaches because the squirrels eat the infant peaches. They eat them pit and all or eat into them and leave pits or pieces of them. I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of cyanide in the undeveloped peach as well. If this is bad for them someone needs to tell them. I just think it's stupid to not wait until they get bigger and tastier, but they aren't willing to do that. Sigh.

They eat the blossoms too, but don't strip a branch in one go, just nibbling here and there. Maybe it's not toxic or as toxic to them as it is to us? I have often wondered.