Thread: Picky squirrels favorite food yours like to eat?

Default Picky squirrels favorite food yours like to eat?

My babies are 7-8 weeks and need to start eating. They are very picky. Tried broccoli they kinda ate it, didn’t even try the sweet potatoes and they also took a nibble of avocado but didn’t really like it.what are some favorites that yours like? And do you cook them or serve raw?

Default Re: Picky squirrels favorite food yours like to eat?

They should still be on formula. Are you starting to transition them to solids? If so the one and only food that they should have in their cage should be a good quality rodent block. Many on here feed Henry’s Healthy Block.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    They should still be on formula. Are you starting to transition them to solids? If so the one and only food that they should have in their cage should be a good quality rodent block. Many on here feed Henry’s Healthy Block.
    Yes they’ve been eating the picky blocks. They only want there formula at night when they are tired otherwise I have to force them to eat

Super! Are you planning to release when they are old enough? How much formula are they eating and how many times a day?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Super! Are you planning to release when they are old enough? How much formula are they eating and how many times a day?
    Yes we plan on keeping them around the back yard hopefully they stay... the problem is starting a week ago when they got active they haven’t been wanting there milk! One will latch on eventually but the other I have to gently squirt alittle milk he does not want to eat. The one that latches is 210grams and the one who doesn’t is now 198 grams they are both extrwamelh active. The only time they want there milk and will take it willingly is at night like midnight when they are sleepy... they had alittle bit of the tops of cauliflower and they will eat there picky blocks but other than that they just want to play.. is this normal?

I posted good foods on your other thread. Some are pickier than others. If there’s only good food in the cage they will eat. They will NOT starve themselves. Absolutely no nuts or fresh corn should be given. They will definitely eat those and they are terrible for them.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (03-11-2019)

I went back and read your other thread so I have more info. It really helps us if you keep all information to one thread. Ok, if they are 8 weeks cut back to feeding formula two times a day. What ‘milk’ are you feeding them? I know florida squirrels are smaller, so I do not know if 200 grams for an 8 week squirrel is small.

Do you hold your babies in a burrito of fleece when you feed them? Do you feed betw 5-7% of their body wt each day? Sorry to be asking so many questions but I need to get a bigger picture to give the best advice. If you are feeding too much formula then you will see your little ones doing this. You want to be gradually cutting down formula as they are willing to eat other foods. If they are not eating the hhb’s solidly, don’t worry about other foods yet. They must eat rodent block first. That is not negotiable..
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Hello yes they are eating about 6% of their body weight. But I have to force them to eat in the morning and afternoon bc they just want to play. At night they eat with no problem they scarf it down. They eat there picky blocks except when they are hyper . They only nibble wt Broccoli , cauliflower and squash. I have to give it to them they won’t just eat it on there own. So do u think I should cut down to 2 afeedings ?

At 8 weeks, two feedings is fine. Weigh them a few times to make sure they are holding their weight.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (03-11-2019)

At 8 weeks, two feedings is fine. Weigh them a few times to make sure they are holding their weight.
    Okay thank you, do u know if I peel sugar snap peas and only give them the peas or so I give them the whole thing???

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    Okay thank you, do u know if I peel sugar snap peas and only give them the peas or so I give them the whole thing???

Give them the whole snap pea.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (03-11-2019), PeanutandLulu (03-11-2019)