Thread: Squirrels not eating just wants to play

Default Squirrels not eating just wants to play

I have 2 baby squirrels that are basically 8 weeks now. I’ve had them since they were 2 weeks. They are very healthy and always had no problem eating but ever since they’ve gotten more active like a week or 2 ago. They refuse to eat and I have to force them. The only time they eat is late at night like around 12am.. other than that they just want to run around and play. I’ve tried feeding them other foods like broccoli, avocado, and sweet potatoes but they show no interest. And they barely drink there formula unless it’s late at night and they scarf it down.. I’ve cut down to 3 times a day now. What should I do?! Thank you.. also should I try cooking the vegetables?

Default Re: Squirrels not eating just wants to play

Also should I be forcing them to eat?? I’ve been forcing them and the girl will latch on and take it but the boy refuses and I have to slowly squirt it in his mouth.. should I keep doing this or not feed them unless they want to ??

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    I have 2 baby squirrels that are basically 8 weeks now. I’ve had them since they were 2 weeks. They are very healthy and always had no problem eating but ever since they’ve gotten more active like a week or 2 ago. They refuse to eat and I have to force them. The only time they eat is late at night like around 12am.. other than that they just want to run around and play. I’ve tried feeding them other foods like broccoli, avocado, and sweet potatoes but they show no interest. And they barely drink there formula unless it’s late at night and they scarf it down.. I’ve cut down to 3 times a day now. What should I do?! Thank you.. also should I try cooking the vegetables?
    It's always good to rinse, boil or blanch, drain, and rinse again certain vegetables. Please read Post #6 by Diggie's Friend. Half way down Post #6, she has listed the types of vegetables and how long approximately they should be boiled/blanched:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...003-Not-eating

If you have time, please read Posts #3, 5, 6, 7 and 11 by Diggie's Friend as well where she explains the reasons why vegetables should be boiled:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...5-Other-greens

Are you feeding them a good quality rodent block like Henry’s or Harlan Teklad? Both must be purchased online. It’s imperative that they eat some type of block, Henry’s may be more accepted at this point. Before any veggies are introduced we recommend that they be eating their block well. This is where they will get the nutrients they need to prevent MBD when they’ve weaned themselves from formula. We let them wean on their own and don’t just stop giving it. As they get older and more active they do decrease the number of times and the amount they eat.

Continue to try to get them to take formula even if it’s only once or twice a day. Be very careful squirting it in their mouth though, you don’t want to aspirate them. At night when their sleepy is usually a good time to offer it.

Okay thank you so much. I got them Henry’s picky blocks and they started eating those around 5-6 weeks. They loved them at first but now they just want to play.. they still eat them but not as much as before they got active. They won’t reakly eat any vegetables they will nibble on broccoli stems. But they don’t like avocado or sweet potatoes. Maybe I should try cooking them? The only time they eat is at night and they will scarf it down other than that I have to gently squirt in their mouth while they try to run away and play. I would like to only feed at night but I feel like they would get hungry during the day?? So I’m confused on what I should do

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEyes View Post
    It's always good to rinse, boil or blanch, drain, and rinse again certain vegetables. Please read Post #6 by Diggie's Friend. Half way down Post #6, she has listed the types of vegetables and how long approximately they should be boiled/blanched:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...003-Not-eating

If you have time, please read Posts #3, 5, 6, 7 and 11 by Diggie's Friend as well where she explains the reasons why vegetables should be boiled:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...5-Other-greens

Okay so I should be boiling all vegetables??? And I bake butternut squash? Do you know how long I do these for?? Thank you so much I’ve been feeding them raw...

Okay thank you so much. I got them Henry’s picky blocks and they started eating those around 5-6 weeks. They loved them at first but now they just want to play.. they still eat them but not as much as before they got active. They won’t reakly eat any vegetables they will nibble on broccoli stems. But they don’t like avocado or sweet potatoes. Maybe I should try cooking them? The only time they eat is at night and they will scarf it down other than that I have to gently squirt in their mouth while they try to run away and play. I would like to only feed at night but I feel like they would get hungry during the day?? So I’m confused on what I should do
    Continue to feed formula at night. Put block and veggies in the cage during the daytime. Have you tried baby kale, arugula, watercress, romaine, bok choy, red cabbage, sugar snap peas, spring mix, carrots, dandelion greens, cauliflower? I have never had great luck with squashes but some love chayote squash. Obviously fruits should be limited and offered once they’re eating their veggies, but papaya has a great calcium to phosphorous ratio. They also may like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, apples, coconut. It’s always an experiment to see what they like and don’t like. Variety is the key to keeping them interested and providing a sound diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Continue to feed formula at night. Put block and veggies in the cage during the daytime. Have you tried baby kale, arugula, watercress, romaine, bok choy, red cabbage, sugar snap peas, spring mix, carrots, dandelion greens, cauliflower? I have never had great luck with squashes but some love chayote squash. Obviously fruits should be limited and offered once they’re eating their veggies, but papaya has a great calcium to phosphorous ratio. They also may like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, apples, coconut. It’s always an experiment to see what they like and don’t like. Variety is the key to keeping them interested and providing a sound diet.

Just tried cauliflower and they liked the buds but not the stems. First time I’ve realky seen them eat. Can they have the broccoli buds or just the stems?? Like the top part?? I’ll tey arugula but I didn’t think they would like it what are the main things yours like??

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

One more question do we only feed the peas in the sugar snap peas or the whole thing???

Just tried cauliflower and they liked the buds but not the stems. First time I’ve realky seen them eat. Can they have the broccoli buds or just the stems?? Like the top part?? I’ll tey arugula but I didn’t think they would like it what are the main things yours like??
    They can have all parts of the cauliflower and broccoli, as well as the sugar snap peas. They usually open them and eat the pea out, but may eat some of the outer portion, too.