Thread: Pinkie on Ground

Default Pinkie on Ground

I just got a call from a client; they have rescued a pinkie from their cat. Not injured just a minor scratch. They could replace it to the nest, but the mama keeps running at them. Should they:

Leave it on the ground at tree base and watch to be sure she gets it in a timely manner??

Or, attempt to replace it ?? Will she retreat , or attack the man??

I’m going to instruct them further after replies. It’s been out of the nest about 10 min. ; temps here about 65.

Default Re: Pinkie on Ground

It is always best if able to reunite with mom. You are right on that the baby must be continuously watched to ensure it’s safety from predators. I would put it in a box with a t-shirt and a warming source such as a rice buddy. Sometimes I hydrate before putting back out but I would never tell a newbie to do that. Oftentimes, if the momma does not take it the first day, I try again first thing the next morning.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (03-10-2019), Snicker Bar (03-10-2019)

Thank you ; they are watching and waiting. They warmed it up, then placed it in a fleece lined hanging basket as close to the nest as possible. Mom is actively searching so hopefully this will work! Thanks so much!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Diggie's Friend (03-10-2019)

Snicker Bar, if you think the scratch is from the cat then it is best to bring the pinkie in and treat for Pastruella (sp?) which we use Clavamox on. Then the pinkie needs to be raised cos mom won’t take it back that long after losing it. Sorry, should have mentioned that before.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

island rehabber (03-10-2019), Snicker Bar (03-10-2019)

Hank you,
    Just checked back; after many attempts by this person , she worried it was being rejected and asked if we could help. I have a helper that presently has three pinkies that lives much closer. So made arrangements for them
    to meet and transfer the baby. I’ll get more info. soon as to how it looks ( the scratch) and get a weight on it. I can get the tech. some clavamox ; I think I have the dose in my notes.
    Definitely planning to buy many chances on those Wild Babies Books!!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Grinderhead (03-10-2019), gunpackingrandma (03-11-2019), Nancy in New York (03-10-2019)