Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    Hi, I just recently (Friday) found two baby squirrels after our cats brought up a third baby. The mom took the third injured baby back, but left two. I've been trying to care for them since then. I have a few concerns about them at the moment. On Friday when we first got them, they were pooping dark brown pellets. We had some issues figuring out what to feed them, and for Saturday we pretty much only rehydrated them in the AM, then gave them a puppy formula all evening and Sunday. We could not find Esbilac formula on Saturday, so we (&#128561 used a lot far puppy milk for those days before I realized that was a bad idea. Saturday evening, they both began pooping almost liquid yellow diarrhea, so thinking they may not have been rehydrated enough, and realizing our formula was no good, on Sunday night, we stopped feeding them formula, and started with just rehydration fluid for the rest of Sunday evening and through Monday AM. On Sunday afternoon/evening, the little boy also seemed to get somewhat bloated, but because he was pooping fine, I wasn't panicking. Monday morning, we still did the rehydration fluid and ONE formula feeding, and little boys belly was less still, but still more full than his sister's. I took them to the vet on Monday afternoon, and she said they looked fine, and wasn't concerned with the diarrhea as long as they are pooping (which they were at the time) however, now neither one had pooped after the feedings, and little guys belly isn't too bloated, but is noticeably bigger than his sister's. As of Monday evening, they are on Esbilac. I'm just wondering, because I didn't feed them a while lot of food yesterday, not wanting to hurt them with the wrong formula, they may just not be pooping because they don't have much in their system. BUT, they have at least two "proper" feedings in their system now, so I don't want to let it go on if they should be pooping. Should I be worried that they haven't pooped after 2/3 feedings, especially since they were having diarrhea before, or should I give it more time?? I'm hoping to call the vet again tomorrow, but I am working two 12 hour shifts back to back, so i am not sure that I can get them to the vet first thing tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I should do in the meantime?? I just don't want to wait until it's too late!! I may just be being paranoid, because the very said they looked like they were "thriving," but I'm also not 100% sure she knew everything about squirrels. (Was an exotic animal vet, but how many crazy people actually take squirrels to the vet?? &#128521

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    4,201
    Thanked: 3486

    Default Re: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    Be sure you are using the powdered Esbilac and not the pre-mixed liquid (the premix will give you the same diarrhea mess the non-Esbilac puppy milk did). The picture below shows the right formula.

    It will take longer than 2 -3 feedings if they went a day without any food (formula). Sometimes the transition from mommy's milk to Esbilac takes 72 hours in healthy babies. You should see them improve and become consistent in their pooping, peeing and eating... if you are consistent (which is essential).

    If they were cat caught, they should be given a course of antibiotics since cat's carry bacteria that is deadly to squirrels.. the slightest scratch or bite (often you cannot even see them... even us experienced folks have overlooked them until they become swollen and than it is almost too late). Were these two babies also found by the cat?!?

    Are you weighing them and feeding by weight? This is also essential. Here is a 6 page long (Next in the upper right) primer on baby squirrel care that is very helpful:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

    Esbilac for squirrels:
    Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  149.9 KB
    Last edited by Spanky; 03-05-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Fixed the missing Esbilac picture.

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

    Squirre (03-05-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    524
    Thanked: 576

    Default Re: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    From reading what you typed.. I gather that the pooped on Monday... but have not since.
    Irregular pooping is not that odd when they are being transitioned to Esbilac. I have them go as long as almost 4 days with no poop. It still scares me, every single time it happens.

    You are going to need to weigh them, in grams. Divide that by 20 and feed them that number in milliliters. (Example: 80 grams /20 = 4ml) This number will change every day, so you have to weigh them every day.
    You have not mentioned their age, how old they look, or if their eyes are open. I am guessing they have some fur, and closed eyes... which would mean feeding them once every three hours.
    If you cannot feed them every three hours... you need to find someone who can. They cannot go for 5 hours or longer without food, without risking their lives.
    If they are pink or eyes open.. we would need more info to calculate how often. Pictures would help. We love pictures.

    Keep up hydration between feedings... watch for any hardness or red streaking on stomach. Tummy massages will help digestion. Also warm water bottom baths (sitting in a bowl of warm water) can stimulate pooping.
    Sometimes it takes a LOT of stimulation before they finally poop. I normally do not stop stimulating until I see their anus 'close up' (no longer showing a hole).
    Even when they are not pooping.. they normally will pee a river.

    Watch for a lack of interest in food or not wanting to eat. If they are hungry, and their tummy is soft, and you are feeding the right amount at the right frequency, they are probably doing okay.

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

    Squirre (03-05-2019)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    From reading what you typed.. I gather that the pooped on Monday... but have not since.
    Irregular pooping is not that odd when they are being transitioned to Esbilac. I have them go as long as almost 4 days with no poop. It still scares me, every single time it happens. :)

    You are going to need to weigh them, in grams. Divide that by 20 and feed them that number in milliliters. (Example: 80 grams /20 = 4ml) This number will change every day, so you have to weigh them every day.
    You have not mentioned their age, how old they look, or if their eyes are open. I am guessing they have some fur, and closed eyes... which would mean feeding them once every three hours.
    If you cannot feed them every three hours... you need to find someone who can. They cannot go for 5 hours or longer without food, without risking their lives.
    If they are pink or eyes open.. we would need more info to calculate how often. Pictures would help. We love pictures.

    Keep up hydration between feedings... watch for any hardness or red streaking on stomach. Tummy massages will help digestion. Also warm water bottom baths (sitting in a bowl of warm water) can stimulate pooping.
    Sometimes it takes a LOT of stimulation before they finally poop. I normally do not stop stimulating until I see their anus 'close up' (no longer showing a hole).
    Even when they are not pooping.. they normally will pee a river.

    Watch for a lack of interest in food or not wanting to eat. If they are hungry, and their tummy is soft, and you are feeding the right amount at the right frequency, they are probably doing okay.


    Thank you so much for responding!

    Yes, they pooped Monday morning, but haven't since. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one scared when they haven't pooped "on queue!" 😊

    I have been weighing them twice daily, and though they haven't gained since yesterday, there hasn't been any great change in weight. Yesterday the little bit was 41grams, and today he was 40, so I'm watching him closely. The little girl had been 40 grams both times I've weighed her..I'll probably with them again around 6pm just to make sure.

    I believe they are 2.5-3 weeks, and yesterday the vet confirmed that. They have some fur, but their tummies are still naked and their eyes are shut. They are "cooing" right before feedings, and are quite active. I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure out how.

    I did the warm water baths with a tummy massage, and though this am they still weren't pooping, their tummies were significantly softer than yesterday.

    As for stimulating, I spent about 15 minutes gently simulating each one, and still nothing. Sometimes I wonder if little girl pees on her own some, because their fleece they're on had some dampness on it where she was. Little boy peed well this am. Little girl didn't, but I'm just continuing the simulating and warm water baths as needed. Hopefully a very trip this evening is in store just to make sure.

    At the moment, since they're 40 grams, I'm feeding 2cc of Esbilac every 2.5-3 hours, trough the night. They are very hungry acting every time I feed them, and usually happily take both CC's. Would you rehydrate with feedings, or is that not recommended?

    Again, thank you so much for the help! These babies are precious, and your help is wonderful!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Be sure you are using the powdered Esbilac and not the pre-mixed liquid (the premix will give you the same diarrhea mess the non-Esbilac puppy milk did). The picture below shows the right formula.

    It will take longer than 2 -3 feedings if they went a day without any food (formula). Sometimes the transition from mommy's milk to Esbilac takes 72 hours in healthy babies. You should see them improve and become consistent in their pooping, peeing and eating... if you are consistent (which is essential).

    If they were cat caught, they should be given a course of antibiotics since cat's carry bacteria that is deadly to squirrels.. the slightest scratch or bite (often you cannot even see them... even us experienced folks have overlooked them until they become swollen and than it is almost too late). Were these two babies also found by the cat?!?

    Are you weighing them and feeding by weight? This is also essential. Here is a 6 page long (Next in the upper right) primer on baby squirrel care that is very helpful:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

    Esbilac for squirrels:



    Thank you for your help!!

    Yes, I'm definitely using the powdered form, NOT the pre-mixed. For some reason I couldn't see your picture, but I'll try to attach a picture of what I'm using just to make sure.

    I previously wasn't consistent with their feedings which scares me, but since yesterday, I have been very consistent now that we have the right formula. At the moment since there both 40 grams, I'm doing 2ccs every 2-3 hours. They eat hungrily. In fact, often times, right before feedings they start sucking on their towels?? This makes me wonder, should I feed every 2 hours instead of 2.5-3? I've heard over feeding or overeating can cause issues too, do I've not given them more than that, but I don't want to starve them either.

    These two were not caught by our cats. When we set the third baby under the tree where their best was to see if Mom would come get it, we found these two. I did get the vet to check them out yesterday just to make sure, and she said she didn't see any scratches or anything.

    Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it greatly!!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    4,201
    Thanked: 3486

    Default Re: Bloat AND Diarrhea???

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirre View Post
    At the moment since there both 40 grams, I'm doing 2ccs every 2-3 hours. They eat hungrily. In fact, often times, right before feedings they start sucking on their towels?? This makes me wonder, should I feed every 2 hours instead of 2.5-3?
    I will PM you my e-mail if you want to e-mail their picture I will post it in this thread for you. At 40 grams they should are 2weeks old (I am in the same neck of the woods as you), but a picture is really the way to tell. I am going to include a feeding chart cheat sheet that shows feeding at 5% (this was the guideline Javarat provided), 6% and 7% which is the "normal range". And I fixed the Esbilac picture above. The smaller, younger babies do tend to stay more towards the 5% versus the 7% but that usually changes as they get older. If you do overfed their stools become soft and even whitish.

    IF they are less than 2 weeks I would stick to feeding every 2 to 2.5 hours. Maybe let them go overnight for 3 hours.

    They sucking may be they are not being fed often enough or getting enough with each feeding. You do not want any suckling to start... the suckling at the towel concerns me. First because they might start sucking one another and second because towels do not make good bedding for these little ones. Be sure the read all 6 pages of the link I included in my previous reply!

    Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  63.7 KB

    You can review this link for help on posting pictures...
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...load-a-picture

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •