Thread: Bright green diarrhea

Default Bright green diarrhea

Hello
    Yesterday I received a baby boy 45 grams and dehydrated. People who found him were giving him human baby food - Simulac for few days - and he had diarrhea. I thought I could clear it up in a day with Pedialyte, but tonight his poop is still very watery and now, bright green - seriously, St. Patrick's day green. I don't know if it has anything to do with the purple Pedialyte. I started him on Albon this morning. I'm about to give him some Pepto. Any thoughts on the bright green or what I an do? I haven't fed him formula yet with the dehydration. Thank you.

Default Re: Bright green diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    Hello
    Yesterday I received a baby boy 45 grams and dehydrated. People who found him were giving him human baby food - Simulac for few days - and he had diarrhea. I thought I could clear it up in a day with Pedialyte, but tonight his poop is still very watery and now, bright green - seriously, St. Patrick's day green. I don't know if it has anything to do with the purple Pedialyte. I started him on Albon this morning. I'm about to give him some Pepto. Any thoughts on the bright green or what I an do? I haven't fed him formula yet with the dehydration. Thank you.
    The most common reason for green stool is a dietary. Green, blue, or purple food coloring is a common stool color change.
    I would think it obvious what he's been fed has messed up his gut flora, why the Albon?
    Antibiotics are hard on the stomach and an unnecessary addition to an already compromised stomach in my opinion.
    Pedialyte should not be given more then 24 hours anyway. I would stop it, get baby on the correct formula (pictured below)
    and hydrate with plain water in between feedings. You can add a touch of honey to his water to flavor.
    Are his eyes open, any idea of age?
    Can you attach a picture to better evaluate his condition.

Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb - NEW.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  75.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (03-05-2019), tgramsey (03-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The most common reason for green stool is a dietary. Green, blue, or purple food coloring is a common stool color change.
    I would think it obvious what he's been fed has messed up his gut flora, why the Albon?
    Antibiotics are hard on the stomach and an unnecessary addition to an already compromised stomach in my opinion.
    Pedialyte should not be given more then 24 hours anyway. I would stop it, get baby on the correct formula (pictured below)
    and hydrate with plain water in between feedings. You can add a touch of honey to his water to flavor.
    Are his eyes open, any idea of age?
    Can you attach a picture to better evaluate his condition.

Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb - NEW.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  75.0 KB
    Hi and thanks for the response. The baby's eyes are still closed. I was told by someone with more experience to use the Albon as the diarrhea seemed more than your average bout. I believe she thought it could be parasites so wanted to be proactive. Is my first time to use it. I usually have luck with pepto and patience I planned on switching him off the Ped tomorrow per the 24 hour rule. I have the formula you showed as well as FV 32/40 (which I know some people don't like now). He is still dehydrated though - skin doesn't pop back like it should. I do have some dia stat from FV. It expired 2 mo. ago per the package - but I never opened it so it's probably still okay. Has a long shelf life. Thoughts? I'll get a pic tomorrow. Thanks again.

DO NOT use FV 32/40! Use the Esbilac. Dia stat is great and I’m sure still fine to use.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (03-05-2019), tgramsey (03-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    Hi and thanks for the response. The baby's eyes are still closed. I was told by someone with more experience to use the Albon as the diarrhea seemed more than your average bout. I believe she thought it could be parasites so wanted to be proactive..
    In my experience the diarrhea is exactly what one can expect with what had been fed.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

tgramsey (03-05-2019)

Thanks for the notes everyone.