Thread: Baby squirrel poo issues

Default Baby squirrel poo issues

So i have a 2 week old baby. I have had problems getting him to gain weight. I has him on petage goat milk formula powder with the heavy whipping cream and through the last 3 days transitioned him to the petage puppy powder formula with prob. Since switching him is has only gained 3 quarters of a gram. And now has bm problems. He isnt having one with every feeding its averaging about 2 huge ones a day and they arent happening during stimutation. I will stimulate him for up to 5 mins and have also tried under warm water. But his is only bm'ing in his container. Also he doesnt seem bloated and his belly isnt hard either.
    Could this be the new formula? What is a normal weight gain per day or a baby?
    He is eating 1.25ml per every 2 hours

Thanks.

Default Re: Baby squirrel poo issues

Can you post a pic of the formula? The Pet Ag formula MUST be ESBILAC POWDERED. Esbilac is made by PetAg but there are two different formulas.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Iamtoenail (03-04-2019)

Some pinkie experts should be on soon to help. In the meantime, what is this babies current weight? What do his poops look like? firm? Goopy? Do they smell bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtoenail View Post
    So i have a 2 week old baby. I have had problems getting him to gain weight. I has him on petage goat milk formula powder with the heavy whipping cream and through the last 3 days transitioned him to the petage puppy powder formula with prob. Since switching him is has only gained 3 quarters of a gram. And now has bm problems. He isnt having one with every feeding its averaging about 2 huge ones a day and they arent happening during stimutation. I will stimulate him for up to 5 mins and have also tried under warm water. But his is only bm'ing in his container. Also he doesnt seem bloated and his belly isnt hard either.
    Could this be the new formula? What is a normal weight gain per day or a baby?
    He is eating 1.25ml per every 2 hours

Thanks.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Iamtoenail (03-04-2019)

Before we start trouble shooting and offering suggestions. I’d like to know that the formula is the correct one.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

stepnstone (03-04-2019), TubeDriver (03-04-2019)

Yes it is the petag esbilac puppy powder formula with prebiotics and probiotics.
    I just weighed him he is 18.7g. Ive had him for 12 days and think he is very close to this age.
    I didnt get a pic of his last poop but it was yellow but really hard. The one previous was also yellow softish long strand with a little brown to it. None of his poop has had a smell so farName:  20190304_153904.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.8 KBName:  20190304_153729.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  181.8 KB these are the best pix i could get 1handed

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Iamtoenail from:

TubeDriver (03-04-2019)

If it’s the correct formula, then don’t change it. Try offering some water BETWEEN scheduled feedings. You can add a touch of honey to the water for taste and the honey may help loosen the stool. The amount you’re feeding is perfect. . The water should help if it’s from slight dehydration. The warm water gentle massages may help too, but take care to dry thoroughly. Continue to stimulate at every feeding and keep us updated if there’s no improvement.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Iamtoenail (03-04-2019), Nancy in New York (03-04-2019), stepnstone (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If it’s the correct formula, then don’t change it. Try offering some water BETWEEN scheduled feedings. You can add a touch of honey to the water for taste and the honey may help loosen the stool. The amount you’re feeding is perfect. . The water should help if it’s from slight dehydration. The warm water gentle massages may help too, but take care to dry thoroughly. Continue to stimulate at every feeding and keep us updated if there’s no improvement.
    Okay ill add the water with honey between. Thanks. How long show i keep with the water feedings? Until his bm's become normal? And am i correct with the fact he should have a bm with each stimutation? Also what is a normal weight gain i should be expecting? Ive been keeping a very detailed journal and weigh him twice a day. I just want to make sure he is very well cared for.

Thank you for wanting to do the best for him. Honestly, I have never raised a pinky. I have had some VERY undernourished eyes opened 5 week olds that weighed as much as a pinky, though. . I have always used a Fox Valley product called Ultraboost. I buy it from Henry’s Healthy Pets online. It’s an extra calorie/fat additive that I use with the formula. I have never had a diarrhea issue with it like you can with heavy whipping cream. I also have never used it on a pinky, so maybe others that have will chime in and say whether it’s good or bad to use with a pinky. It does seem like you should see more of a weight gain in a 24 hr period than you are.

Hopefully some of the other northern rehabbers will chime in on what the weight gain is that you can expect. In lieu of using the Ultraboost, maybe they can offer some feedback on adding some full fat vanilla yogurt to your formula. I have had very good results with this, as well.

Hang in there.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Iamtoenail (03-04-2019), Nancy in New York (03-04-2019)

If you are adding heavy cream to the Esbilac, I would stop doing that.

Try to mix up the Esbilac several hours ahead of time before using. It helps, especially with the pinkies, for it to have 6 hours ore more to fully dissolve. Mix with hot water, stir, stir, stir, keep in the fridge and stir every couple of hours if you are able to to get it all mixed up very well.

Never reuse previously heated formula (throwing this out there because this seems to happen more than it should).

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Iamtoenail (03-05-2019), Mel1959 (03-04-2019)

So ive been incorporating the honey water between feedins. Since he had 1 diarrhea in his cage and 2 tinnier then quinoa sized bowels. He still isnt pooping with stimutaion. His belly still isnt hard nor bloated. He is still eating and peeing great. But im still worried. His last bowel was 6 yesterday.
    I have a new mix minus the heavy cream sitting in the fridge to used once i get off work which will be the recommended 6 hrs. But still have my night before premix im using till then. I do always mix my next days the night before.

Giving a bit of Gas X (simethicone) would not hurt and could only help.

Just want to emphasize Mel's "touch of honey" means just minimal honey... like a drop in 45ml of water or so. Too much honey can cause diarrhea.

How much water is he taking between feedings?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Giving a bit of Gas X (simethicone) would not hurt and could only help.

Just want to emphasize Mel's "touch of honey" means just minimal honey... like a drop in 45ml of water or so. Too much honey can cause diarrhea.

How much water is he taking between feedings?
    How much gas x? Do i deluite it in water? He is taking in 1-1.25 ml every other hour from feedings. I did 1 drop of honey in i think 25ml so ill remix that. I

Just give a small drop of Gas X, I would tell you 0.01ml if you can measure that... no need to dilute. Simethicone is a very safe drug in terms of overdosing (which requires an awful lot and fortunately the effective dose is very small).

I think you are good with the honey... we've seen people use a half a teaspoon or more.. which is way too much!

Everyone will. Be happy to know walter has had 6 kind od consecutive bowels. Most has been the yellow rope like health. A couple have been grainy. But he is still pooping with out stimulation as well. I did remove the heavy cream but never got to the point of giving him gas x. I reduced him to honeywater every 2 feedings. And he gained up to 20.2 grams yay.
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtoenail View Post
    Everyone will. Be happy to know walter has had 6 kind od consecutive bowels. Most has been the yellow rope like health. A couple have been grainy. But he is still pooping with out stimulation as well. I did remove the heavy cream but never got to the point of giving him gas x.
    I reduced him to honeywater every 2 feedings. And he gained up to 20.2 grams yay.
    Thanks for the help

A little confused here...
    Are you giving between feedings or instead of?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

A little confused here...
    Are you giving between feedings or instead of?
    The honey water? Between. Now every 4hrs he gets 1ml.