Thread: How much to feed my 6 week old squirrel

Default How much to feed my 6 week old squirrel

I have two squirrels who are chubby and healthy I just started feeding them the rodent block from Henry’s and they love it. But I’m worried on some websites they say a 6 week squirrel should be eating 10-13 ccs? But I’m still basing my squirrels off of the 5-7% rule. They weigh 136 and 140 grams. How much should I feed them? And is it okay to feed them 4 times a day?

Default Re: How much to feed my 6 week old squirrel

For an "average" 6 week weighing between 150-250 grams they would be eating between 10-13cc's.
    Your feeding right by using the scale between 5-7% based on the weight of your babies.
    Still ok to feed 4 x a day.
    Your already feeding them the first solid food they should be eating and eating well before introducing
    other foods.
    Attaching link to the healthy food pyramid for recommended food selections...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Okay thank you. And when is a good time to start them on there first solids. I got them Henry’s picky blocks and they love them and shredded them to pieces. So when is good for them to start some solids? And what is a good first solid. I saw the pyramid. But I would like to know what you usually start yours off with? Thank you

Before you start any veggies you want them to be EATING the Henrys blocks, not just shredding them. When they are doing that then you can proceed to veggies, but no fruit. The first veggies I start with are kale, broccoli, lettuces, cauliflower, green beans, bok choy, mushrooms, greens (dandelion, cilantro) etc.....basically the ones that are good for them, but not too sweet. If they get a taste of the sweet stuff before they’ve developed a taste for the other stuff you’ll never convince them to eat it. Veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, winter squash all have more sugar and are usually well liked, as is fresh coconut and avocado. Both of those are well liked and the fat they contain is good for them, but not as a constant diet.

I hope this helps.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (02-27-2019)