Thread: Not eating well and sleeping a lot

DeLore Guest

Default Not eating well and sleeping a lot

I have a 2 year old gray squirrel. She had calcium absorption issues when she was younger and she now has a UV lamp in her cage to make sure she always gets enough vitamin D to absorb her calcium. She has been relatively healthy since I gave her that however, she has always been a picky eater. Recently, I have been trying to fix her diet again and I took away the foods she liked that weren't the healthiest and was only giving her a couple things as recommended by my vet. She had Henry's healthy blocks, parrot pellets, some fresh veggies and a couple nuts a day. She ate a little other than the nuts, but barely. Last night and today, I noticed she didn't even want the nuts and she's been really lazy all day. She will barely get out of her bed. I gave her some of the rat food mix that's not great for her but she normally at least eats and she only ate a little. I got her to take a ton of calcium since she has had problems with that in the past and I've been taking her out in the yard in the sun and I ordered her a new UV lamp in case it's calcium/calcium absorption issues again and the UV lamp she has isn't giving off enough UV anymore. But, if she doesn't improve, or gets worse, what should I do?
    (I will try to fix her diet again once I make sure she's healthy enough again, but, right now, I'm worried because she's not eating enough of anything.)

Default Re: Not eating well and sleeping a lot

Is she dehydrated? How long has it been since she was eating blocks? This is an issue that has to be a forever fix. No block = no nuts
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Grinderhead (02-23-2019), Spanky (02-22-2019), stepnstone (02-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLore View Post
    I have a 2 year old gray squirrel. She had calcium absorption issues when she was younger and she now has a UV lamp in her cage to make sure she always gets enough vitamin D to absorb her calcium. She has been relatively healthy since I gave her that however, she has always been a picky eater. Recently, I have been trying to fix her diet again and I took away the foods she liked that weren't the healthiest and was only giving her a couple things as recommended by my vet. She had Henry's healthy blocks, parrot pellets, some fresh veggies and a couple nuts a day. She ate a little other than the nuts, but barely. Last night and today, I noticed she didn't even want the nuts and she's been really lazy all day. She will barely get out of her bed. I gave her some of the rat food mix that's not great for her but she normally at least eats and she only ate a little. I got her to take a ton of calcium since she has had problems with that in the past and I've been taking her out in the yard in the sun and I ordered her a new UV lamp in case it's calcium/calcium absorption issues again and the UV lamp she has isn't giving off enough UV anymore. But, if she doesn't improve, or gets worse, what should I do?
    (I will try to fix her diet again once I make sure she's healthy enough again, but, right now, I'm worried because she's not eating enough of anything.)
    A squirrel that does not want to eat nuts is likely in trouble health wise.

Stop giving any nuts and start the emergency MBD protocol... if this is not MBD, this will not hurt but can only help. You probably know this protocol well given the history, but this is my best advice. The idea is not to give large doses of calcium infrequently, but moderate amounts of calcium frequently to increase blood calcium levels consistently, not peaks and troughs (just putting this out there in case).
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

Then, please share what "parrot pellets" exactly she was getting... likely very high in corn and not good for a squirrel at all (except as a treat maybe).

Please also share what "
    rat food mix" is exactly? A high quality rodent block is good, a mix sounds like maybe it has corn and seeds and other foods a calcium absorption issue squirrel (actually any captive squirrel) maybe should avoid.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (03-05-2019), Jeltje (08-05-2020)

DeLore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Is she dehydrated? How long has it been since she was eating blocks? This is an issue that has to be a forever fix. No block = no nuts
    I don't think she's dehydrated, but, I did give her water through a syringe to make sure. I agree that this has to be a forever fix, but right now, I'm having trouble getting anything in her and that's the immediate concern.

DeLore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    A squirrel that does not want to eat nuts is likely in trouble health wise.

Stop giving any nuts and start the emergency MBD protocol... if this is not MBD, this will not hurt but can only help. You probably know this protocol well given the history, but this is my best advice. The idea is not to give large doses of calcium infrequently, but moderate amounts of calcium frequently to increase blood calcium levels consistently, not peaks and troughs (just putting this out there in case).
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

Then, please share what "parrot pellets" exactly she was getting... likely very high in corn and not good for a squirrel at all (except as a treat maybe).

Please also share what "
    rat food mix" is exactly? A high quality rodent block is good, a mix sounds like maybe it has corn and seeds and other foods a calcium absorption issue squirrel (actually any captive squirrel) maybe should avoid.

The parrot pellets are basically irrelevant because she won't even eat them. My vet told me to try getting her to eat those, but I only ever saw her taste one then throw it aside, same with the monkey biscuit. The rat mix is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DGI2E...yd_detail_page and I know its not good for her, so I've been trying to get her off of it.

In case it's MBD, I did give her a big dose of calcium to jumpstart treatment, but I will continue with smaller doses for a while. However, when she had this issue before, it was an absorption issue and not actually that she wasn't getting enough calcium. So, I'm doubly trying to make sure she's getting enough sun right now. It's been raining a lot here, so taking her outside hasn't been an option most days, but, I'm taking her out when its possible and I'm getting her a new UV lamp as well. The last time this happened, she was a few months old. The vet had me get a UV lamp and have it on her for several hours per day. She's had that since and hasn't had any calcium issues since then until possibly now. But, the info on the lamp says it won't put out as much UV after a while, so, I ordered a new one and I'll go ahead and leave this one on for a lot longer until I get the new one.

DeLore Guest

She's not eating them right now anyway, but I took away all her nuts and I'm basically just leaving her some Henry's and fresh veggies. I'll continue with calcium as well.

This sounds like the onset of MBD to me given the diet. The Kaytee mix you’re giving does not have the nutrients she needs. A solid rat block like Henry’s or Harlan Teklad is a must. The Harlan block can comprise 80% of her diet. The Henry’s block is super high in nutrients so they only get two a day and it’s supplemented with fresh veggies.

The UV light bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months as the UVA/UVB output is greatly reduced as the bulb ages.

Please follow the MBD protocol and keep us updated.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Jeltje (08-05-2020)

DeLore Guest

It looks like she also has some smelly diarrhea, could this be something other than MBD?

It could be some type of parasite. The only definitive way to tell is by fecal exam. It can be treated without that though. What color is the diarrhea? How long has it been going on? Does she have access to outside where she could have picked up something like that?

Or is it possible that she had something stashed in her cage someplace that went bad and she ate it? Yes, they WILL do this. How carefully do you "police" the cage for stashes? Do so now and see if you have any other stashes - get rid of them - and see if perhaps there is some vomit someplace. If she has eaten something bad that will certainly affect things.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (02-23-2019), SammysMom (02-23-2019)

My little boy Luke had some of the same symptoms-- just slowly he started being more and more lethargic, didn't want to eat and slept a lot. I finally broke down and sent him to the vet. Fortunately the vet was able to diagnose an upper respiratory infection. Antibiotics, dehydration and rest were prescribed-- he's currently with a licensed rehabber until he gets better, at which point I'll be releasing him with his two siblings.

I only mentioned this because I was super concerned about the issue being dietary (MDB, bad food in a stash, etc.) but it was something requiring medication instead, so I wanted to make sure you considered that too!

~V.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Vox from:

Mel1959 (02-23-2019)

DeLore Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up giving her lots of water through a syringe so she would drink more and cleaning out all food stashes I could find and after a few days she made a full recovery. I guess it was just something she ate and she had a horrible stomach ache with all the diarrhea. She's back to her energetic, spazzy self and I've even managed to clean up her diet a lot. She's finally eating stuff I hadn't been able to get her to touch in a while. Notably, brussels sprouts and broccoli and Henry's!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DeLore:

Diggie's Friend (03-05-2019), Vox (03-05-2019)

I have a 2 year old gray squirrel. She had calcium absorption issues when she was younger and she now has a UV lamp in her cage to make sure she always gets enough vitamin D to absorb her calcium
    If your squirrel is eating eating rodent block please ignore the following as it won't then apply to your squirrel; yet if not then please read this through, for this is the only other option to support the life or your squirrel, as sunlight alone through a window or window screen will not provide them with sufficient D3 that is a hormone that is produced from sunlight on the sebum that their skin expels onto their fur, which then licked off supports the uptake of Calcium into their bloodstream.

One source easy to use to support with D3 Only when no block is fed at all, which is preferable like HHB, or homemade Boo ball forms with Henry's mineral vitamin mix added, is Superior Source Baby D3 200 IU tab, that you DIVIDE into four equal parts, using then divided part equal to 50 IU of D3, the standard for adult rodent block diets. My whole foods research (non block) squirrel diet includes 50 IU D3. The gray squirrel that has been on this diet for 6 years, having prior been on a poor diet, was obese and had a poor energy level, is now 10 years old, healthy, active full of energy, has had no MBD issues ever.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-05-2019 at 11:42 AM.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Jeltje (08-05-2020)

As for the UV lamp, that only works when the squirrel is lying below it, not otherwise, so please don't rely on it for well support of the production of D3 on the squirrel's fur from its oil glands that direct sunlight changes into D3 (Cholecalciferol) that it then licks off its fur.

Again, supplemental option for D3 is only to be used when on block diet source is not included, otherwise to give D3 in addition to that in a rodent block would be in excess and likely cause harm to an adult tree squirrel.

Members who have read this thread: 3