Thread: Baby squirrel sneezing

Default Baby squirrel sneezing

Alright yall.. I've got another problem. My poor babies can't seem to catch a break.
    One of my babies, named Purple, had aspiration pneumonia last week. I started him on the recommended dose of ABs after talking to rehabbers here. He was doing well after 5 days on ABs, but I noticed this morning he is making what I'd call a sneezing noise. Like a little squeak. This is not the same noise he made last week, it's new to me. And I don't hear any clicking in his breathing. Is this pneumonia again? I feed with a 1cc syringe VERY slowly but he is the runt and somehow seems to aspirate no matter how hard I try to not let that happen

I will weigh him again when I get home but his last weight Sunday was 54g.
    Also any more tips on how to help them not aspirate would be helpful!
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Baby squirrel sneezing

Did he start sneezing after he inhaled some formula while feeding? If so, the sneezing can just be him clearing his nose. How long has the sneezing been going on? Hours? Days? Just because they snort formula out their nose doesn’t mean they’ve aspirated it into their lungs. Some littles just seem to get the formula in their nose. It usually gets better as they get older.

When you feed you’re holding back on the plunger of the syringe, right? Don’t let them suck willy nilly....you have to maintain a firm hold on the plunger and ever so slowly let them suck from it. Keep the angle of the syringe pointed up towards the roof of their mouth, not down their throat. Go drop by drop if necessary. If any of them do snort the formula turn them upside down so it can run out of their nose and wipe them.

Continue monitoring him for any clicking and let us know how he does.

Hi Mel,

Thanks! Yes I actually do all of that already as far as holding the plunger, keeping it at a 45 deg angle point up, and going very slowly. If they get it in their nose i hold them upside down and wipe it away.

I noticed the sneezing/squeaking last night and then this morning still, so it has been hours. He's sneezing while in his bed, so not just the got milk in his nose type of sneeze. I will keep an ear out for the clicking. Do you think I should give him more ABs?

Start abs only if you see signs of AP. One of the first signs that you will see is if he gets fussy and is not eating with the same vigor. And of course a clicking with every breath. What ab did you have him on before?

If you are not using a one cc syringe with this baby, I would do that. most people on TSB endorse the miracle nipple. I have several, but I don’t often use it for exactly what is going on with your baby. I use a catac nipple. You make your own hole in the nipple which is another way to help control the baby getting less with each suck. Can’t do that with a miracle nipple. It comes with a hole in it that I think is too big for some babies. You can order catac nipples at Chris’s Squirrels and More. You make your own hole in it that has to be carefully done.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

HalokaKana (02-19-2019), Mel1959 (02-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HalokaKana View Post
    Hi Mel,

Thanks! Yes I actually do all of that already as far as holding the plunger, keeping it at a 45 deg angle point up, and going very slowly. If they get it in their nose i hold them upside down and wipe it away.

I noticed the sneezing/squeaking last night and then this morning still, so it has been hours. He's sneezing while in his bed, so not just the got milk in his nose type of sneeze. I will keep an ear out for the clicking. Do you think I should give him more ABs?
    Hi HalokaKana,

Did you mention recently that you give them baths? If so, maybe Purple got a chill and caught a cold.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to GoldenEyes:

HalokaKana (02-19-2019), Mel1959 (02-19-2019)