Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lethargic baby

Default Re: Lethargic baby

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I went back over my records to check weights upon arrival. All the babies I’ve gotten had eyes opened so I assumed them to be 5-6 weeks old. The weights ranged from 49gr. to mid 50’s. I hope this helps.
    yup. Itsy bitsy southern beebees! I have had some, in contrast, who have reached 200g before eyes opened!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

HalokaKana (02-16-2019), Mel1959 (02-16-2019), Nancy in New York (02-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Thanks Maura!

Well to answer your question about the weight. I remember you bringing me an eyes closed baby
    weighing 197 grams. I remember writing in your thread, I didn't know if you brought him here for me
    to babysit, or to release!
    Like I said.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

HalokaKana (02-16-2019), Mel1959 (02-16-2019), Nancy in New York (02-16-2019)

Hey everyone thanks for the responses!

I did the water feeding last night for two feeding and then fed straight esbilac (1pt powder, 2pts water ��). Their poops are already looking better which is great. Also the lethargic squirrel in question, her name is Yellow, she still seems lethargic but she was a bit better about eating this morning. The other squirrels are so squirmy when I try to get them to pee/poop, but she just lays there. Also I've noticed when I go to check on them, she has crawled on top of the blankets away from their nesting spot and I find her pretty cold. I'm not sure if this means something? Thought I'd mention it. I don't like that I find her cool to the touch and I'm not sure how to make her stay in the nest. They are on a heating pad in case anyone is wondering.

This still seems really light for these babies.
    Do you weigh them daily?
    At this age, they should be gaining roughly 4-6 grams daily.
    Please tell me again how much are you feeding,
    and how often.
    Are you using a 1 ml syringe?
    Sorry you didn't get an answer from others.
    I went off the board last night, and just got back on,
    and stepnstone was feeling under the weather.

Edit: My time will be very limited today, so I hope that others
    will help get to the bottom of this too.
    To answer your feeding question, I do 5% body weight about every 3-4 hrs.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HalokaKana from:

Nancy in New York (02-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HalokaKana View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for the responses!

I did the water feeding last night for two feeding and then fed straight esbilac (1pt powder, 2pts water ��). Their poops are already looking better which is great. Also the lethargic squirrel in question, her name is Yellow, she still seems lethargic but she was a bit better about eating this morning. The other squirrels are so squirmy when I try to get them to pee/poop, but she just lays there. Also I've noticed when I go to check on them, she has crawled on top of the blankets away from their nesting spot and I find her pretty cold. I'm not sure if this means something? Thought I'd mention it. I don't like that I find her cool to the touch and I'm not sure how to make her stay in the nest. They are on a heating pad in case anyone is wondering.

Her crawling off the heat is not a good sign. Every time one of mine has done that I put them
    right back on. Sometimes that helps but I think they know something is wrong with them,
    and many times when they do this, they end up passing.
    Keep putting her on the heat source. The pad is
    under their "container" correct? What type of container are they currently in.

Her crawling off the heat is not a good sign. Every time one of mine has done that I put them
    right back on. Sometimes that helps but I think they know something is wrong with them,
    and many times when they do this, they end up passing.
    Keep putting her on the heat source. The pad is
    under their "container" correct? What type of container are they currently in.
    Oh no
    Yes it's under the container. They are in a plastic tub with felt blankets in the tub. They burrow into the blankets.

Oh no
    Yes it's under the container. They are in a plastic tub with felt blankets in the tub. They burrow into the blankets.
    When you hold Yellow to your ear you don’t hear any clicking, right? How much water did all of them take, but specifically her, at the two feedings?

I am a little confused reading back over your thread. You said you were feeding the proper Esbilac (powdered) mixed with Ensure. Then you were told not to mix it with Ensure but to mix one part Esbilac to two parts water and your next response was that you were going out to get some Esbilac.? Was the original Esbilac old? Had it been stored in the freezer? It’s best to keep it in the freezer for long term storage and refrigerator while actively using it.

As Nancy said, it’s not a good sign when they crawl off the heat. You could try carrying it in your bra (assuming your female) next to your skin where it can hear your heartbeat. It may help, but at least Yellow will stay warm.

I hope this little one turns around.

Edit: Reread again and there is mention of pneumonia but no mention of antibiotics. Maybe I missed it, but are you treating them with antibiotics? If so, which antibiotic and did someone on here dose for you?

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (02-16-2019), Nancy in New York (02-16-2019)

Ah you're right, maybe bc she was moving. I just reweighed her and it's 67. Is that better?
    The others are 70, 60, and the runt who is 48 (I have such a soft spot for him❤️)
    I know I keep writing one more thing, but................
    If your little one actually weighs 67 grams she needs to be eating more.
    BUT never force a squirrel to take more.
    If they seem squirmy try stimulating
    because sometimes they need to pee while eating. After that try again with
    the formula. BUT never force feed.
    You were feeding for a 54 gram squirrel.
    Make sure you get an accurate weight on the squirrel. This is vital
    to know how much to feed.
    Are you using a 1 cc syringe?

When is the rehabber taking these little ones back.
    I'm sure you'll miss them.

See if this helps you.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (02-16-2019), stepnstone (02-16-2019)

When you hold Yellow to your ear you don’t hear any clicking, right? How much water did all of them take, but specifically her, at the two feedings?

I am a little confused reading back over your thread. You said you were feeding the proper Esbilac (powdered) mixed with Ensure. Then you were told not to mix it with Ensure but to mix one part Esbilac to two parts water and your next response was that you were going out to get some Esbilac.? Was the original Esbilac old? Had it been stored in the freezer? It’s best to keep it in the freezer for long term storage and refrigerator while actively using it.

As Nancy said, it’s not a good sign when they crawl off the heat. You could try carrying it in your bra (assuming your female) next to your skin where it can hear your heartbeat. It may help, but at least Yellow will stay warm.

I hope this little one turns around.

Edit: Reread again and there is mention of pneumonia but no mention of antibiotics. Maybe I missed it, but are you treating them with antibiotics? If so, which antibiotic and did someone on here dose for you?
    Sorry for the confusion lol.. Nancy and stepnstone guided me trhu a pneumonia issue with 2 of the other babies (not yellow) the other day. I am squirrel sitting for another rehabber who gave me a premixed bag of powder which was esbilac and ensure, that's where all the reference to ensure was from.
    I threw that out and bought a new can of powdered esbilac which is what I am feeding now--no additives.

The babies who had pneumonia the other night are on abs and they are not clicking anymore so it seems to be working. They have 2 more days on abs.

Yellow took in about 2ccs of water each feeding ast night. She would refuse any more.

And yes I use a 1cc syringes now. I was using one that was too big before which was the cause of the pneumonia. It has helped tremendously to switch to the smaller one.

Now that I have their correct weights I have upped their food.

Sorry Mel i always forget to answer parts of questions. Yes the ab dosage was given to me by Nancy and stepnstone. They're on cipro, just a drop which was like.01cc.

Just an update.. Yellow seems to be doing much better. She's a lot more alert and is drinking her formula happily. Also, all squirrels poops are a lot better.
    Every time I've checked her today she has been in the nest instead of crawling out. I think things are looking up.

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HalokaKana:

Grinderhead (02-16-2019), island rehabber (02-16-2019), Mel1959 (02-16-2019), Nancy in New York (02-16-2019), stepnstone (02-16-2019)

Just an update.. Yellow seems to be doing much better. She's a lot more alert and is drinking her formula happily. Also, all squirrels poops are a lot better.
    Every time I've checked her today she has been in the nest instead of crawling out. I think things are looking up.

I'm so glad that she's doing better.
    Keep up the great work!

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HalokaKana (02-16-2019), Mel1959 (02-16-2019)

I just want to clarify this while I'm here, please.
    Feed them 5-7% body weight in formula. Is feeding every 3-4 hrs correct or should I be doing it more often or less often? Should I be feeding water by itself ever, like in between feedings?

I want to make sure I'm doing everything to the best of my ability!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HalokaKana from:

Nancy in New York (02-17-2019)

Yes, every 3-4 hrs for formula. You have to observe them and their pee and poop output to determine if they need water in between feedings. You should see a steady weight gain, poop and pee should be consistent, and they should be anxious to eat. The babies will tell you when they’re ready for a little extra formula. Any increases must be very gradual always watching for loose stool. This is why I keep a written record so I KNOW exactly how much each ate at the previous feeding and how their poop and pee was.

It probably isn’t a bad idea to offer some water between a feeding or two. Don’t substitute the water for a feeding, they need the nutrition. Make sure their bellies don’t bloat. You want the previous feeding to have moved through their system almost completely before feeding again.

You’re doing great . Keep us updated on Yellow and attach some pictures. We pictures.

Are these babies going to a rehabber or are you going to continue to care for them? There are supplies like O-ring syringes and miracle nipples that make feeding little ones much, much easier. If these guys are staying with you I think you should purchase these supplies. You can buy them online at Henry’s Healthy Pets.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

HalokaKana (02-16-2019), Nancy in New York (02-17-2019)

Yes, every 3-4 hrs for formula. You have to observe them and their pee and poop output to determine if they need water in between feedings. You should see a steady weight gain, poop and pee should be consistent, and they should be anxious to eat. The babies will tell you when they’re ready for a little extra formula. Any increases must be very gradual always watching for loose stool. This is why I keep a written record so I KNOW exactly how much each ate at the previous feeding and how their poop and pee was.

It probably isn’t a bad idea to offer some water between a feeding or two. Don’t substitute the water for a feeding, they need the nutrition. Make sure their bellies don’t bloat. You want the previous feeding to have moved through their system almost completely before feeding again.

You’re doing great . Keep us updated on Yellow and attach some pictures. We pictures.

Are these babies going to a rehabber or are you going to continue to care for them? There are supplies like O-ring syringes and miracle nipples that make feeding little ones much, much easier. If these guys are staying with you I think you should purchase these supplies. You can buy them online at Henry’s Healthy Pets.
    Thank you for the info! I was actually originally just squirrel sitting for my friend who is a rehabber bc she knows I have experience (but it's been a while since I've had babies hence the questions). Anyway she is back but I actually asked if I could keep them longer bc I just love them I have to go out of town on the 28th though so they will be going back then. I might ask to squirrel sit again when I'm back though
    Anyhoo, since she does this a lot she gave me all the syringes and nipples and all that stuff so I'm set for a while

Here are some pics of them all. I'll try to get one of just yellow tomorrow! I think she is the 3rd from left in this pic
    Name:  2019-02-16 23.08.43.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  133.7 KB

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HalokaKana from:

I can see a difference in the fur on the one that is third from the right...not left If this is her she still looked dehydrated to me. Her fur looks coarser or something. Hopefully others will chime in with what they think.

I’m glad you have the proper supples.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

HalokaKana (02-16-2019)

I can see a difference in the fur on the one that is third from the right...not left If this is her she still looked dehydrated to me. Her fur looks coarser or something. Hopefully others will chime in with what they think.

I’m glad you have the proper supples.
    I think the one you mean is named Red. Yellow is 3rd from left I think. Anyway yes Red looks different from the rest, almost scraggly. A friend said he looked like a little monkey. I'm not sure what the deal is. None of them look dehydrated to me when I hold them. He does have a hard time keeping his mouth on the nipple tho. Always turning his head side to side I have to hold his head in place just to get it to stay. Not sure if that means anything significant? I thought he was just spastic lol.

Any ideas welcome!

Here's a pic of Red where my friend said he looks like a monkey.
    Name:  20190213_203333.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  53.6 KB

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HalokaKana from:

I think the one you mean is named Red. Yellow is 3rd from left I think. Anyway yes Red looks different from the rest, almost scraggly. A friend said he looked like a little monkey. I'm not sure what the deal is. None of them look dehydrated to me when I hold them. He does have a hard time keeping his mouth on the nipple tho. Always turning his head side to side I have to hold his head in place just to get it to stay. Not sure if that means anything significant? I thought he was just spastic lol.

Any ideas welcome!

Here's a pic of Red where my friend said he looks like a monkey.
    Name:  20190213_203333.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  53.6 KB
    Oh he's so tiny and adorable!
    One thing you may want to try if he's having a hard time with
    the nipple is try stimulating him first to see if he has to pee.
    Many times when they don't accept the nipple OR they stop
    eating when they've just started it means they have to potty.

Stimulate them, and then try again. If they've already eaten
    and refuse, they may be full.

Another thing you can try with Red is removing the nipple.
    If you do that, and he starts eating better, just remember to
    go REALLY slow, we don't want to aspirate him.

32. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HalokaKana (02-17-2019), island rehabber (02-17-2019), Javarat (02-17-2019), Mel1959 (02-17-2019)

Yellow wanted me to come and tell everyone thank you! She is back to her little sassy vocal self, squeaking away.
    Everyone just had a warm water bath that's why her face looks a Lil wet.
    Name:  2019-02-17 10.48.38.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  78.0 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast