Thread: Playmate?

Default Playmate?

I have a male squirrel that I will release as soon as the weather get better. He’s about 5 months old. A women just called who found a female on February 24th. I think she was about 6 weeks old. Now she cant keep her. My question is can I put them together? I don’t want her to release her. She’s way too young and I know she wouldn’t make it.

Default Re: Playmate?

No! You cannot combine a 6week old with a five month old.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    No! You cannot combine a 6week old with a five month old.
    I didn’t think so but no harm in asking.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kbroset from:

stepnstone (03-12-2019)

Sorry I did not address this in my prior post, but I did not have time.

Has the finder of the 6 week old found someone to take her squirrel? A 6 week old will not survive being released. If not, let us know the general area and we'll try to help locate someone that will take the 6 week old, raise and release?

As for combining, that generally becomes impossible once the squirrels are about 9 weeks of age or so.. adn it would be extremely dangerous and likely catastrophic to put a 6 week old in with a 5 month old squirrel.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (03-13-2019), redwuff (03-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Sorry I did not address this in my prior post, but I did not have time.

Has the finder of the 6 week old found someone to take her squirrel? A 6 week old will not survive being released. If not, let us know the general area and we'll try to help locate someone that will take the 6 week old, raise and release?

As for combining, that generally becomes impossible once the squirrels are about 9 weeks of age or so.. adn it would be extremely dangerous and likely catastrophic to put a 6 week old in with a 5 month old squirrel.

She was going to just release her but I told her she wouldn’t live and I’m going to get her Friday. Our oldest one is going to go to his big cage outside starting this weekend. The weather is finally going to be nice and warm and not raining. I have two big rooms so I can separate them if the weather decides to change again before this weekend. I have a rehabber that I talk to from time to time but she’s out of town right now. When I get in touch with her she will either take her or I’ll keep her if all is going okay with everything else.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kbroset from:

Spanky (03-13-2019)

You know we are here if you need us. Any idea what this person is feeding her. The baby still needs to be on formula. Since the finder has had her for a few days, and will for a few days more, you might want to be working with the finder on formula. Bad formula can equal a poopy baby.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    You know we are here if you need us. Any idea what this person is feeding her. The baby still needs to be on formula. Since the finder has had her for a few days, and will for a few days more, you might want to be working with the finder on formula. Bad formula can equal a poopy baby.
    When she first found her they called me and I told them everything they need to do. And about the Henry’s blocks. Hopefully fingers crossed she did what I said.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kbroset from:

redwuff (03-13-2019)