Thread: Keeping the neighborhood cat away from our squirrels?

Question Keeping the neighborhood cat away from our squirrels?

One of the cats roaming the neighborhood has realized our yard is a good hunting ground.

We saw it kill 2 squirrels last week and suspect he might have gotten another one today based on the pattern of prints in the snow

The cat is well fed, but we don't know who's it is. Trapping him for relocation is probably not an option (plus we don't want risking trapping squirrels).

We live in a condo residence, we can't instalhigh fence to keep him away.

We're thinking about shooting it with a squirt gun to scare it away, do you have any other suggestion?

Default Re: Keeping the neighborhood cat away from our squirrels?

I would shoot it with a squirt gun (super soaker) for sure, but I’d also set a havahart trap large enough to accommodate it and relocate it or take it to the humane society. I have been trapping rats for months with a couple of havahart traps set up in my yard, which also has lots of wilds. The key to not catching squirrels is the type of bait you use. A can of tuna is going to be hard for a cat to resist, but a squirrel couldn’t care less about it. . Admittedly, I have had a squirrel get caught once or twice, but I check the traps often and release as soon as it happens and there has not been any injury to the squirrels. Hopefully, it’s a life lesson. Of course, if I ever had to trap one of my yard squirrels I could be in a pickle!

I’m not sure I could sit by and continue to let the cat feast on my friends without serious intervention.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (02-15-2019), Hasdrubal (02-15-2019), island rehabber (02-15-2019), stepnstone (02-15-2019)