Hello all,

I have been reading on the squirrel board for a couple years now but this is my first time posting. I appreciate the people on this forum for sharing their wealth of knowledge and advice when it comes to caring for these precious creatures. I have learned so much.

To make a long story short, my 1.5 year old female ran off this past Saturday while we were out in the yard at my grandma's (I wanted to give her some fresh air and she has been outside several times before). Looking back, it was probably silly of me to not expect the possibility of running off. Basically, she kept venturing further and further from me. I'd pick her up each time but she'd immediately jump off and run the more I pursued her. She eventually went into a little wooded area in the neighbor's yard that is behind a fence and I stopped pursuing. I called for her all day and night until I left Sunday afternoon but she never returned.

Deep down, I know she wanted to be free and I keep telling myself that she's having the time of her life. But my heart is broken and I'm so worried that she won't know how to take care of herself. Do squirrels learn how to be "wild" relatively quickly? She has not had much interaction with the outdoors - she has always just stayed close by in the yard. Also, my grandmother's house is 4 hours away from where I live and though she's been there a number of times, she's less familiar with that environment (and the yard) than the one at home. Will she know to come back if she ever wants to?

I'm just really sad and I guess searching for answers...I just want to know she's ok I guess. Thank you for your time.