Thread: Favorite Squashes,

Default Favorite Squashes,

Which are preferred most , and do you cook? I’ve already tried baked acorn , no good. And raw yellow, no good . Zucchini? These girls won’t eat vegetables. Hardly any. Like me.

Default Re: Favorite Squashes,

Have you ever added organic pumpkin seed oil, or organic chia oil to it?

One single drop of organic maple syrup stirred in might help.

You can cube it and boil it, yet then the nutrient level will be reduced.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (02-07-2019)

No , haven’t tried the oil yet,
    I’ve read that before , but can’t find ( chia) in our stores; but maybe they have organic pumpkin or maple syrup . The babies are far healthier ( Honey is the best, eats all her veggies !) about eating good things , since I started them off ‘right’ after learning from here But Doodles and Dandies were among my first squirrels to care for, and I didn’t know to strategically feed the good stuff FIRST. I put it all out at same time. Now it mostly rots and gets tossed to the chickens. I may never be able to get them to eat good things, other than in the form
    of baby food in boo balls I just hate the thought their lives may be shortened because I didn’t teach them well from the beginning... Dang, this sounds like my own Mom, fussing about ME !

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (02-07-2019)

I don’t know if you have a Home Goods store anywhere near you, but I happened across both chia and pumpkin oil there once. I haven’t seen it since. I know it can be ordered online, but I haven’t resorted to that yet.

As for squash...In my opinion I think butternut is preferred over acorn. The one that is liked best, and Joeys favorite, is kabocha squash. It’s very similar to buttercup (not butternut) but has a denser, less liquid flesh when cooked. I never had great luck with my squees eating zucchini, yellow, acorn or chayote squash.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (02-08-2019)

Amazon.com carries both the Organic Chia Oil (Foods Alive) (4 oz. bottle on page) 8.99

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Alive-A...002HQWZXA?th=1

Organic pumpkin seed oil also (organic seed oil company produced in the US. (18.99) for smaller bottle

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Alive-A...002HQWZXA?th=1

Once honey is pasteurized it loses much of its nutritional and anti-bacterial value, becoming very acidic, unhealthy.

As this article relates raw honey is best vitamin wise nutritionally, yet raw honey may contain fungus, that makes feeding it regular potentially problematic.

http://selfbeautytips.com/maple-syrup/

Organic Maple syrup, is highest in calcium of any marketed sugar source, and is from a natural source that tree squirrels consume in the wild, with minimal processing.

Concentrated sugar sources are beneficial to prevent and stop seizures during times of high stress like vet visits and pre and post surgery, or when used sparingly externally on surface wounds having antibiotic properties. Yet adding a concentrated sugar source to the diet daily promotes calcium loss, as does adding salt also. Concentrated sugars also promote obesity from their high levels of triglcerides.

Concentrated sugars also excitotoxic to the brain, causing the brain cells to fire rapidly, manifesting in overexcitability, aggression; in tree squirrels predisposed to seizures concentrated sugars can also promote seizure activity.

I hope this helps.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (02-08-2019)

Never heard of Home Goods , but sounds like we need one We are kind of limited in variety other than Kroger. But we do have internet (barely!!)
    The Organic Maple Syrup sounds like it might be a good thing to try on boo balls ; maybe just a dab for flavor, or to roll them in.
    Tried the zucchini squash and it was a NO. So tossing to the chickens and whatever else in the yard wants them.
    Just saying, we probably have the healthiest, free range, organic , chicken eggs in the country!! These hens eat healthier than ANYTHING that lives here!! And lay eggs year round!!
    Thanks for the links, love to read and learn

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (02-08-2019)

Stick with virgin organic coconut oil to still them together, and to support with Omega 3 Organic Chia oil, and to support the prostrate the Organic Pumpkin seed oil grown in the USA. Again, syrup has a consequence for use as it is concentrated sugar; just a drop {1/64 Tsp.) of organic maple sugar for taste.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (02-12-2019), Snicker Bar (02-14-2019)