Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 7 year, male gray squirrel is lethargic, please help

Default Re: My 7 year, male gray squirrel is lethargic, please help

Are you just unable to transport him to the vet or do you not have a vet? He really needs a vet.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (02-21-2019), lukaslolamaus (02-21-2019), Nancy in New York (02-21-2019)

When it comes to block diets, if you don't use one that has a higher ratio as HHB has, it is very easy to overtop the ratio that they need to support their bones, as those block diets are not formulated as HHB is to add whole foods to it, so yes it can be MBD with another block with a closer ratio that is not optimal for adults. The other thing found with rodents in middle age is too high urine pH, which also results in calcium loss from the diet, so that they don't get enough; over time this can result in bladder stones and kidney stone forming, and even molar (back teeth) bone spurs that make it painful to each more than soft foods.

I would try organic English walnuts for reason that almonds even so a decent Calcium to Phosphorus ratio do not provide that calcium due to a very high level of calcium reducing anti-nutrients almonds have been found to contain.

Getting urine testing strips is recommended (amazon.com) URI or Mission testing strips, as is getting an x- ray of your squirrel to test for these stones, and to check his skeleton for Metabolic Bone Disease. Also to do a blood test to check for other possible causes like worms, and other intestinal parasites. As is, when a squirrel goes down they don't generally last long without veterinary intervention. Time to take him to a veterinarian.

I think there are those here that can help you connect with one in your area.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TubeDriver (02-21-2019)

There’s a great vet that treats squirrels in Orlando. The hospital is Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando, Dr. Diaz, 24 W. Sturtevant St., Orlando 32806. Phone 407-286-3484.

You should call tomorrow and have your boy seen.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (02-22-2019), TubeDriver (02-21-2019)

Thank you for your good thoughts. Manolo is still alive. His movements are erratic, like he starts eating the block, then stops....with the block in his hands...he body wobbles a bit. He is drinking water well, although most of the time I bring the water bottle to his bed. I have seen him going down to drink water.
    I ordered the MDB treatment from Henry's. I did start the tums right away you guys tell me. Now I have started with the calcium the packet brings...also picky eaters blocks and he is eating them well (I was very excited!). The other blocks were not so attractive to him. Also giving the blocks in smaller pieces.

I feel so bad for giving him the tomatoes, it is now the only thing he eats and now the blocks. I don't know if Manolo will make it, but I am keeping them very comfortable with a heating pad in low in his bed. He sleeps most of the time. I work only half a day, I give him blocks and I am not keeping a food bowl anymore.
    Something caught my eye.... while I was giving him the tums, he was not happy. The calcium I got he liked! and just took him very easily which makes me happy not to add more stress. As soon as I get home, I go and check up on him and give offer water and give him the calcium and block.

I think he is getting seizures because he stops and shivers a bit.

What can I offer him from outside?

His heart is running fast, his weight can be a little less but he looks normal, he is not dehydrated. When I grab him to feed him he still has some strength to grab himself to the cage. But he cant not hang around like a normal squirrel.

I don't know what else to do and it is very stressing and so sad to see this beautiful squirrel having such a rough time. Manolo came to me in a stormy day. He was found in the middle of the street crying, these generous people knew that I had another squirrel and ask if I wanted it. They were giving him evaporated milk...……………………………….

What can I do for him. It would be horrible to see him like this. maybe pain, maybe the seizures maybe MBD. Dear Lord! I will keep him comfortable. I don't know if Manolo will resist. I just know he has given me so much happiness and love.

Thank you ahead for any help.

Poor little guy. Getting him on blocks and calcium (MBD protocol) should help him if MBD is what he has. But the blocks will help him no matter what he as, they are just more healthy than what he was getting before. Keep it up, it will help him to get stronger! If this is MBD, you should see some improvement in the next week or so although it will take months to really recover.

One thing you can offer him if he appears to be seizing is some molassas rubbed onto his gums/lips. It can help to reduce some seizures and it certainly will not harm him.

Try to keep him comfortable and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by orquid009 View Post
    Thank you for your good thoughts. Manolo is still alive. His movements are erratic, like he starts eating the block, then stops....with the block in his hands...he body wobbles a bit. He is drinking water well, although most of the time I bring the water bottle to his bed. I have seen him going down to drink water.
    I ordered the MDB treatment from Henry's. I did start the tums right away you guys tell me. Now I have started with the calcium the packet brings...also picky eaters blocks and he is eating them well (I was very excited!). The other blocks were not so attractive to him. Also giving the blocks in smaller pieces.

I feel so bad for giving him the tomatoes, it is now the only thing he eats and now the blocks. I don't know if Manolo will make it, but I am keeping them very comfortable with a heating pad in low in his bed. He sleeps most of the time. I work only half a day, I give him blocks and I am not keeping a food bowl anymore.
    Something caught my eye.... while I was giving him the tums, he was not happy. The calcium I got he liked! and just took him very easily which makes me happy not to add more stress. As soon as I get home, I go and check up on him and give offer water and give him the calcium and block.

I think he is getting seizures because he stops and shivers a bit.

What can I offer him from outside?

His heart is running fast, his weight can be a little less but he looks normal, he is not dehydrated. When I grab him to feed him he still has some strength to grab himself to the cage. But he cant not hang around like a normal squirrel.

I don't know what else to do and it is very stressing and so sad to see this beautiful squirrel having such a rough time. Manolo came to me in a stormy day. He was found in the middle of the street crying, these generous people knew that I had another squirrel and ask if I wanted it. They were giving him evaporated milk...……………………………….

What can I do for him. It would be horrible to see him like this. maybe pain, maybe the seizures maybe MBD. Dear Lord! I will keep him comfortable. I don't know if Manolo will resist. I just know he has given me so much happiness and love.

Thank you ahead for any help.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (02-25-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12