Thread: Phenobarbital and Seizure

Default Phenobarbital and Seizure

They are putting my 4 yr old gray on phenobarbital for her seizures. Does anyone else have any experience with this drug?

Default Re: Phenobarbital and Seizure

. I dont have any experience with seizure squirrels, but others do, so hopefully they’ll be able to answer your question.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Crystal (02-06-2019)

Default Re: Phenobarbital and Seizure

I was told to use Keppra with Snickers, my epileptic grey. She was a head trauma, and the seizures started when she was about a year old. I dosed her twice daily, and she was well controlled most of the time. Both may work equally well, but when her seizures started, they were severe and in clusters. And I do know, that Keppra gets to therapeutic levels much faster ( around 24 hrs) vs phenobarbital ( around two weeks). I think this is why we chose the Keppra, because she needed help fast. Had she lived longer, I may have considered switching her /adding the phenobarbital if her seizures increased in frequency or severity. Sadly I missed the chance; the last seizure took her without warning . But we had four, wonderful, mostly symptom free years

Marie

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Mel1959 (02-07-2019), stepnstone (02-06-2019)