Thread: How to help this squirrel with a hing leg injury [WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK]

Default How to help this squirrel with a hing leg injury [WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK]

My wife spotted a wild with a right hind leg injury. It has trouble moving/climbing and standing upright to eat, and looks thin compared to our regulars.

RE-WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO: https://youtu.be/mWWmPbyCZNc

The poor thing obviously needs help, but it is a wild. We can't approach it without scaring it. It has access to water and food as the other wilds in our yard do, but the others harass it.

We'd like to help it more, but don't know what else we can do at this stage since we can't approach it.

We're located in NY (Westchester county).

Suggestons / advice welcome!

Default Re: How to help this squirrel with a hing leg injury [WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK]

That looks like a nasty wound, probably an abscess that has burst open. Providing food and clean drinking water is terrific.

Have you been noticing this one around for a while or only recently?

Do you happen to have a live trap (hav-a-hart type) appropriate for a squirrel?

There are many NYS members, I'll try to direct some here to your thread....

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Hasdrubal (02-05-2019), Rocky1 (02-17-2019), stepnstone (02-05-2019)

Default Re: How to help this squirrel with a hing leg injury [WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK]

Thanks for the reply!

My wife first noticed it yesterday, it came back today. We take pride in ensuring our yard's squirrels are chubby during the winter, and this one isn't so I suspect it is a newcomer. There's a park and a cemetery next to the residence where I live, so the squirrels have plenty of space.

I don't have a live trap, we'd need to get one that is squirrel-appropriate. We considered it, we wonder how to ensure the injured one is getting in and not the healthy ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

My wife first noticed it yesterday, it came back today. We take pride in ensuring our yard's squirrels are chubby during the winter, and this one isn't so I suspect it is a newcomer. There's a park and a cemetery next to the residence where I live, so the squirrels have plenty of space.

I don't have a live trap, we'd need to get one that is squirrel-appropriate. We considered it, we wonder how to ensure the injured one is getting in and not the healthy ones?

I was just asking about the live trap in case it became necessary. Handling a wild squirrel is quite a handful especially for the uninitiated.

I am not suggesting you trap at this time, but whenever trapping is determined to be in the squirrels best interest, it is most important to be prepare ahead of time and have a well defined plan (a cage ready for the squirrels, necessary (anticipated?) meds and supplies, etc.).

If you can get any additional pictures or videos, that would be great. He seems unstable and I wonder if he can climb at all?

To answer the question, it not unheard of to catch and release many wilds before capturing the target. But also, these injured ones tend to avoid the crowds of squirrels during the normal Am and PM feeding times; they seem to know to come at non-peak times like early afternoon. Edit: We prefer only placing out the trap when we can observe it, we do not want the injured or any other squirrel to be in that trap outdoors exposed for any length of time. Often we use a string attached to the trap's triggering device so that we can release the trap if needed (sometimes they are not set off by the squirrel).

When is your friend visiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

I was just asking about the live trap in case it became necessary. Handling a wild squirrel is quite a handful especially for the uninitiated.

I am not suggesting you trap at this time, but whenever trapping is determined to be in the squirrels best interest, it is most important to be prepare ahead of time and have a well defined plan (a cage ready for the squirrels, necessary (anticipated?) meds and supplies, etc.).

If you can get any additional pictures or videos, that would be great. He seems unstable and I wonder if he can climb at all?
    More videos:
    https://youtu.be/eL-P_GrO-Qg
    https://youtu.be/sOKRsiZ2HnA

He is indeed unstable (see how he's propping himself on the black bowl to eat, and the slouchy stance / falls when eating). My wife says he's still able to jump on the stairs railing and to climb in the trees, although with difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    To answer the question, it not unheard of to catch and release many wilds before capturing the target. But also, these injured ones tend to avoid the crowds of squirrels during the normal Am and PM feeding times; they seem to know to come at non-peak times like early afternoon. Edit: We prefer only placing out the trap when we can observe it, we do not want the injured or any other squirrel to be in that trap outdoors exposed for any length of time. Often we use a string attached to the trap's triggering device so that we can release the trap if needed (sometimes they are not set off by the squirrel).

When is your friend visiting?
    Sen today around 12 noon; the others tend to show up earlier indeed (about 9 AM usually)

Hi -- apologies for the delay in responding as I was at a rehearsal tonight. I am in City Island but was born and raised in New Ro. You've got an excellent rehabber in New Rochelle who lives in the south end by Gate of Heaven cemetary -- is that your area? In any case I will private message her contact info to you. She and I work together often and with you watching over this little guy we can make sure nothing bad happens. Look in your PM Inbox tomorrow morning.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (02-06-2019), GoldenEyes (02-06-2019), Hasdrubal (02-06-2019), Mel1959 (02-06-2019), Nancy in New York (02-06-2019), Rocky1 (02-17-2019), stepnstone (02-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Hi -- apologies for the delay in responding as I was at a rehearsal tonight. I am in City Island but was born and raised in New Ro. You've got an excellent rehabber in New Rochelle who lives in the south end by Gate of Heaven cemetary -- is that your area? In any case I will private message her contact info to you. She and I work together often and with you watching over this little guy we can make sure nothing bad happens. Look in your PM Inbox tomorrow morning.
    PM received, thx!

I'm indeed living in the south end of New Ro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
    PM received, thx!

I'm indeed living in the south end of New Ro.
    You are probably a couple of blocks from Regina. When you said cemetary....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (02-06-2019), Nancy in New York (02-06-2019), redwuff (02-06-2019)

Smile Re: How to help this squirrel with a hing leg injury [WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK]

Good news!

Little guy is getting much better today, the wound is healing nicely and he is now able to climb trees up and down, and puts pressure on the injured leg. Still having issues standing up, but that doesn't prevent him from eating.

Regina came by and provided AB, the wound might have been caused by one of the cats in the neighborhood.

Name:  MVIMG_20190209_124541.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  118.9 KB

We're going to keep watching him and give AB for a few days, and then ensure he puts some meat on those bones!

13. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hasdrubal:

GoldenEyes (02-09-2019), Grinderhead (02-09-2019), island rehabber (02-09-2019), Nancy in New York (02-09-2019), Scooterzmom (02-09-2019), Snowy (02-09-2019), Spanky (02-09-2019), stepnstone (02-09-2019), TubeDriver (02-09-2019)

You are his guardian angel! Thank you for helping him!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

GoldenEyes (02-09-2019), Mel1959 (02-09-2019), Nancy in New York (02-09-2019)

Good job, hasdrubal and Regina (dragonfly)!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (02-09-2019)