Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Unhappy squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    How's it going my fellow squirrel lovers, im not sure if this is the correct forum to post in so sorry if it is not.

    My question is this to whomever feels like they have a bit of knowledge about these things, basically about 4 or 5 months ago i was outside looking at a squirrel who was playing or climbing around on a fence.
    I wen't up to the fence because i wanted to look at the cute fella up close, i foolishly decided to lean my hand in so he could sniff me, but instead he bit one of my fingers then ran away.

    This happened in the Santa Monica/West Los Angeles area in California.

    Now i have read so many mixed answers on the web about this, some people say squirrels don't carry rabies long enough to infect humans or that they don't carry it at all even though there are some records ... very little records, but some say to go get rabies shot because i could have gotten infected from the bite.

    Basically i could use some tips or advise on what you guys would do in my situation and you got bitten by a wild squirrel?

    Also i know its been some time since the bite so i don't even know if they would even give me shots if i requested it at the hospital im really scared about this and my hypochondria makes me feel like its too late for any help if i did need shots.
    Last edited by Sam; 01-21-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot to add location of incident

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sam from:

    LR (01-21-2018)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    356
    Thanked: 349

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Hello! No need to be worried. Unless the squirrel was showing symptoms of Rabies you have nothing to be worried about. I have been bitten by squirrels literally hundreds of times (i'm a licensed wildlife rehabber), the only real concern you should be worried about is infection.. Squirrel bites can be nasty, so make sure you clean it out really well and see a doctor if it appears to be getting infected (redness, feels hot to the touch, oozing puss, intense tenderness at injury site). Rabies in squirrels is incredibly rare. So rare that hospitals won't even precaution-vaccinate you if you go in with a squirrel bite. Most of the animals that carry Rabies, at least up here in the NE, are also nocturnal, so Squirrels don't usually come in contact with those animals, not to mention, if they do get mauled by a sick predator, it's often a fatal encounter, or the squirrel is in serious condition :/

    Also, Rabies symptoms in Humans usually show up between 9 days after exposure and 8 weeks... so if you had been exposed, which i honestly seriously doubt you were, you would been showing signs by now.. typically the early side effects are tingling/twitching at your injury site and is accompanied by fever, headache, muscle aches, loss of appetite, nausea, and fatigue.

    I hope this helps makes you feel a little better and i'm sure more people will pop on in here to assure you

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

    LR (01-21-2018)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,818
    Thanked: 9206

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    How's it going my fellow squirrel lovers, im not sure if this is the correct forum to post in so sorry if it is not.

    My question is this to whomever feels like they have a bit of knowledge about these things, basically about 4 or 5 months ago i was outside looking at a squirrel who was playing or climbing around on a fence.
    I wen't up to the fence because i wanted to look at the cute fella up close, i foolishly decided to lean my hand in so he could sniff me, but instead he bit one of my fingers then ran away.
    This happened in the Santa Monica/West Los Angeles area in California.
    Now i have read so many mixed answers on the web about this, some people say squirrels don't carry rabies long enough to infect humans or that they don't carry it at all even though there are some records ... very little records, but some say to go get rabies shot because i could have gotten infected from the bite.
    Basically i could use some tips or advise on what you guys would do in my situation and you got bitten by a wild squirrel?
    Also i know its been some time since the bite so i don't even know if they would even give me shots if i requested it at the hospital im really scared about this and my hypochondria makes me feel like its too late for any help if i did need shots.


    Relax, you don't have rabies. Besides... 4 or 5 months ago and your still paranoid??
    Squirrels can't see well up close due to the way their eyes are set, you got bit because
    he couldn't distinguish your finger from food.
    What the majority of us do is wash it with an antiseptic, maybe apply an ab ointment, throw
    a band aid on it and keep on going. We get bit a lot, some of us more then others...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    island rehabber (01-24-2018), LR (01-21-2018), Squirreleesi (01-21-2018)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    8,787
    Thanked: 207

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Hi Sam..first I can't really say I have been bit by a wild. That said I have been bit by many even my released ones.
    We here in Florida had an issue last week about a kid being bit by a bat...(father brought it home from work told kid not to touch it ) kid did and got bit...they waseded the kids hands and that was that not realizing BATS DO carry rabies...the kid died from rabies.....BUT it was a bat.
    I have never heard of anyone dying from a squirrel bite.
    #1 A squirrel DOES NOT carry rabies.
    #2 The only way a squirrel could get rabies would be if it were attacked by an animal that had rabies.
    #3 So the squirrel would be attacked///would take time to have the rabies effect it.
    #4 Squirrel would be dead and not able to affect anyone else.

    Point is I am saying you would be safe......but don't take my word for it.
    If squirrels carried rabies, which they do not we or many of us here would be pushing up daisies.
    That said IMHP your safe
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

    island rehabber (01-24-2018), LR (01-21-2018), Mel1959 (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

    Relax, you don't have rabies. Besides... 4 or 5 months ago and your still paranoid??
    Squirrels can't see well up close due to the way their eyes are set, you got bit because
    he couldn't distinguish your finger from food.
    What the majority of us do is wash it with an antiseptic, maybe apply an ab ointment, throw
    a band aid on it and keep on going. We get bit a lot, some of us more then others...
    Thank you for your reassurance!
    However the only reason why im still a little worried is because there's information out there that said it could take up to a year or more for symptoms to start in some people..i read someone only displayed symptoms after 7 years!
    however im sure those must have been extremely rare cases, but yeah that's why im so worried.

  10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sam:

    LR (01-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  11. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Hi Sam..first I can't really say I have been bit by a wild. That said I have been bit by many even my released ones.
    We here in Florida had an issue last week about a kid being bit by a bat...(father brought it home from work told kid not to touch it ) kid did and got bit...they waseded the kids hands and that was that not realizing BATS DO carry rabies...the kid died from rabies.....BUT it was a bat.
    I have never heard of anyone dying from a squirrel bite.
    #1 A squirrel DOES NOT carry rabies.
    #2 The only way a squirrel could get rabies would be if it were attacked by an animal that had rabies.
    #3 So the squirrel would be attacked///would take time to have the rabies effect it.
    #4 Squirrel would be dead and not able to affect anyone else.

    Point is I am saying you would be safe......but don't take my word for it.
    If squirrels carried rabies, which they do not we or many of us here would be pushing up daisies.
    That said IMHP your safe
    Thank you i really appreciate your input on my worries.

  12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sam:

    LR (01-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  13. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreleesi View Post
    Hello! No need to be worried. Unless the squirrel was showing symptoms of Rabies you have nothing to be worried about. I have been bitten by squirrels literally hundreds of times (i'm a licensed wildlife rehabber), the only real concern you should be worried about is infection.. Squirrel bites can be nasty, so make sure you clean it out really well and see a doctor if it appears to be getting infected (redness, feels hot to the touch, oozing puss, intense tenderness at injury site). Rabies in squirrels is incredibly rare. So rare that hospitals won't even precaution-vaccinate you if you go in with a squirrel bite. Most of the animals that carry Rabies, at least up here in the NE, are also nocturnal, so Squirrels don't usually come in contact with those animals, not to mention, if they do get mauled by a sick predator, it's often a fatal encounter, or the squirrel is in serious condition :/

    Also, Rabies symptoms in Humans usually show up between 9 days after exposure and 8 weeks... so if you had been exposed, which i honestly seriously doubt you were, you would been showing signs by now.. typically the early side effects are tingling/twitching at your injury site and is accompanied by fever, headache, muscle aches, loss of appetite, nausea, and fatigue.

    I hope this helps makes you feel a little better and i'm sure more people will pop on in here to assure you

    thank you very much for all that information and advice, so in your opinion if you were bitten by a wild city squirrel you wouldn't ask for any kind of rabies shot?
    and i don't remember the squirrel acting strange, it had no wounds that i can remember. However it was 4 months ago ish.

  14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sam:

    LR (01-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  15. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,818
    Thanked: 9206

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    thank you very much for all that information and advice, so in your opinion if you were bitten by a wild city squirrel you wouldn't ask for any kind of rabies shot?
    and i don't remember the squirrel acting strange, it had no wounds that i can remember. However it was 4 months ago ish.
    If bitten you say, I've been bitten numerous times, sitting here now with a puncture on my knuckle from a squirrel. No I wouldn't ask for and have never needed a shot.
    Bottom line is squirrels are not a rabies vector species. Their immune system can not support the virus, one would have to be able to support the virus in order to spread it.
    If a squirrel would be attacked by a rabid animal and managed to survive, because the system can not support the virus it would quickly kill it. You would have to have come into contact with an infected squirrel pretty soon after it was attacked by a rabid animal to have any real concern.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    LR (01-21-2018), Mel1959 (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  17. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If bitten you say, I've been bitten numerous times, sitting here now with a puncture on my knuckle from a squirrel. No I wouldn't ask for and have never needed a shot.
    Bottom line is squirrels are not a rabies vector species. Their immune system can not support the virus, one would have to be able to support the virus in order to spread it.
    If a squirrel would be attacked by a rabid animal and managed to survive, because the system can not support the virus it would quickly kill it. You would have to have come into contact with an infected squirrel pretty soon after it was attacked by a rabid animal to have any real concern.
    I'm assuming if it had been attacked by an animal that was rabid recently i'd probably notice scratches and stuff?
    im sorry if i sound so silly but i don't know where else to ask these questions and if the squirrels around my city have any sort of rabies.
    So bottom line..you don't think i should be concerned even if it was a wild squirrel?

    sorry for being so repetitive!
    i really appreciate your help

  18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sam:

    LR (01-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  19. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,160
    Thanked: 8818

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    As others have said, it is almost certain that you have not contacted rabies from a squirrel bite. If you call your local health department or your primary doctor, they will not recommend rabies shots. Although anything is theoretically possible, it just has not happened, there is not a single well documented case of squirrel to human rabies transmission. Period.

    If you want to be 100% certain, you could get the rabies shots but they are extremely expensive (often many thousands of dollars) and the odds of you have a series adverse reaction to the rabies shots are probably much higher than the incredibly remote chance of actually getting rabies from a squirrel.

    The rehabbers/members on this board (including myself) have collectively been bitten MANY, MANY, MANY times over many years often by sick/injured squirrels and nobody has ever got rabies nor have we even heard of this happening.

    If you are truly becoming anxious or traumatized by the possibility of rabies (despite the incredibly remote chances of this occuring) talk to your doctor and see what they say.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    LR (01-21-2018), Mel1959 (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  21. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    As others have said, it is almost certain that you have not contacted rabies from a squirrel bite. If you call your local health department or your primary doctor, they will not recommend rabies shots. Although anything is theoretically possible, it just has not happened, there is not a single well documented case of squirrel to human rabies transmission. Period.

    If you want to be 100% certain, you could get the rabies shots but they are extremely expensive (often many thousands of dollars) and the odds of you have a series adverse reaction to the rabies shots are probably much higher than the incredibly remote chance of actually getting rabies from a squirrel.

    The rehabbers/members on this board (including myself) have collectively been bitten MANY, MANY, MANY times over many years often by sick/injured squirrels and nobody has ever got rabies nor have we even heard of this happening.

    If you are truly becoming anxious or traumatized by the possibility of rabies (despite the incredibly remote chances of this occuring) talk to your doctor and see what they say.

    thank a lot for your input you guys have helped calm me a lot with your feedback.
    however you mention being bit by squirrels in the past, were they all your squirrels? or have you encountered wild squirrel bites as well?
    that's the only reason i was concerned is because its a regular wild squirrel just running around the neighborhood.
    i probably won't go get the shots since no one really recommends it.
    but hearing your guys opinions is helping a lot.
    i've been having headaches and weird muscle spasm that freaked me out and made me think if this event with the squirrel about 4 months ago

  22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sam:

    LR (01-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  23. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,160
    Thanked: 8818

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Rehabbers get bitten by wild squirrels all the time.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    thank a lot for your input you guys have helped calm me a lot with your feedback.
    however you mention being bit by squirrels in the past, were they all your squirrels? or have you encountered wild squirrel bites as well?
    that's the only reason i was concerned is because its a regular wild squirrel just running around the neighborhood.
    i probably won't go get the shots since no one really recommends it.
    but hearing your guys opinions is helping a lot.
    i've been having headaches and weird muscle spasm that freaked me out and made me think if this event with the squirrel about 4 months ago
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    island rehabber (01-24-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-21-2018)

  25. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanked: 1634

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Oh if only I had a dollar for every squirrel bite I received over 30+ years! Even if a squirrel is acting "rabid" it's probably had head trauma or is drunk on fermented fruit.

    Drunk

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YJkAABmO9w

    Not drunk - probably neurological


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWmE09BZ50

  26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

    LR (01-22-2018)

  27. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Oh if only I had a dollar for every squirrel bite I received over 30+ years! Even if a squirrel is acting "rabid" it's probably had head trauma or is drunk on fermented fruit.

    Drunk

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YJkAABmO9w

    Not drunk - probably neurological


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWmE09BZ50


    yeah i know you guys are probably right and i should relax..i guess i don't know too much about wild squirrels so i got really concerned

  28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sam from:

    LR (01-22-2018)

  29. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,818
    Thanked: 9206

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    however you mention being bit by squirrels in the past, were they all your squirrels? or have you encountered wild squirrel bites as well?
    Past, present and no doubt future. Many of us don't just get "babies" to treat, raise, rehabilitate, we take in injuried wilds.
    I also rescue when needed out of attics, chimneys, walls, wherever. Nothing bites faster then an already pissed off squirrel.

    Your young and your trying to self diagnose by things you've read and through uneducated remarks, your not going to talk
    yourself into having rabies but you can talk yourself into being sick with your paranoia. If we who handle squirrels day in and
    day out can not calm your fears but someone in the medical profession is what it takes to invalidate your fears then by all
    means seek medical attention.
    Just don't be surprised by this look when you mention the incident happened four months ago.....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    LR (01-22-2018), muggsy'sgm (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018)

  31. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanked: 1905

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    California mostly raccoons and foxes have been found to carry this diseases. In other states where testing was done, like in the State of South Dakota, in a study done over a 16 year period tested about 70 tree squirrels, none were found to carry this disease. In tree squirrels this is a very rare disease to see, and more rare for it to be transferred to humans. Still it is good to educate yourself on these issues from reputable sources, like the CDC.

    Rats and other small rodents have never caused a single case of human rabies in the United States. (CDC)
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...s-by-State-PDF

    http://www.ratbehavior.org/WildRatDisease.htm

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23460709

    https://www.pestworld.org/news-hub/p...ed-by-rodents/

  32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

    LR (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018)

  33. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanked: 1905

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Small correction, skunks are the number one carrier of rabies in California. Just stay away for them for that reason, and of course for the other!

    If this had been recently in a wild area, I would say that at the time it occured to tell your doctor, for with rodents there are less rare diseases that can be transmitted by a bite that penetrates the skin and draws blood, and some just by contact. As for rat fever, since the symptoms develop quickly, that doesn't appear a reasonable concern on that account, as what is noted on this disease is that symptoms develop rather quickly. Again for your own peace of mind it wouuld be good for you to familiarize yourself with the various diseases one can acquire from the bite of a rodent, and or contact with them as well.

    I have also read the same notation on a longterm incubation of rabies, and for that reason I understand your concern in reading that. If it were me I would ask my doctor about this, and relate my concerns on this. If blood was not drawn from the bite, there shodl be no basis for concern, as it takes an exchange of bodily fluids to transmit rabies. If not then there should be no reason for concern for rabies, as it takes an exchange of fluids to pass this disease from an animal to a human. Still if you are concerned speak to your doctor about it, letting them know of your concern is good to do.

    Another thing you can do is to contact the park rangers in this area to inquire if there has been any outbreaks of diseases that are tranmittable to humans in that time frame in that area reported. If so find out what they are, and speak to your physician about it.

    http://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/...rat-bite-fever

    Just curious, do you happen to recall what kind of squirrel it was?

    Anytime you put your hand towards a squirrel that allows you to come close to it, it is habitatuate to being fed, and so it went for where it expected food and got your finger instead, It didn't stay for it didn't find food. This is very typical. I was bitten, but the bit didn't penetrate my skin, let along cause bleeding.

  34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

    LR (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018)

  35. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,148
    Thanked: 19276

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Past, present and no doubt future. Many of us don't just get "babies" to treat, raise, rehabilitate, we take in injuried wilds.
    I also rescue when needed out of attics, chimneys, walls, wherever. Nothing bites faster then an already pissed off squirrel.


    One example of stepnstone and TubeDriver helping an injured wild alpha male squirrel.
    They make it look easy!


    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 01-22-2018 at 07:52 AM.

  36. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    island rehabber (01-24-2018), LR (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018), stepnstone (01-22-2018), TubeDriver (01-22-2018)

  37. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    167
    Thanked: 255

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    I, too, have been "bitten" by various things throughout my thus far short-tenured venture into "rehabbing." Turtles, birds, cats, and of course, squirrel!!!

    I'm not worried about rabies.

    I did, however, get a tetanus booster shot shortly after being bitten to the bone by my dear, sweet, Muggsy-the-Eastern-Grey. My thumbnail still doesn't grow right!!! The bites have never gotten infected (other than feline bites, which I've had go "bad" twice...REAL bad).

    I promise you, if you are worried about something from 4 months ago...you don't have anything to worry about. In Florida, even if you are bitten by an animal that's immunization records aren't known...they will only quarantine said animal for 7-10 days...then you can get the animal back. That's ALL the time needed to determine if the animal is infected...
    (source: saved a stray cat once, it bit a vet tech, dept of health quarantined said stray for 7 days, and we got him back...no one had to get rabies shot or anything...well, except for the cat)

  38. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

    island rehabber (01-24-2018), LR (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018)

  39. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,160
    Thanked: 8818

    Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

    Step got nailed by that squirrel (Brutus)and blood was drawn, my kevlar gloves prevented bites from breaking my skin (still hurt though)! We did have Brutus inside for treatment and recovery for several months before he was successfully released so we knew he had no symptoms of rabies but that really was not a concern.

    Sam - In your case, a healthy appearing squirrel took a chomp at a finger that was placed in front if it and then ran off. All perfectly normal behavior for a squirrel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

    One example of stepnstone and TubeDriver helping an injured wild alpha male squirrel.
    They make it look easy!


    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  40. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    LR (01-22-2018), Nancy in New York (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-22-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •