Thread: Concerned about a young adult gray - please advise... Thanks!

peachpear Guest

Question Concerned about a young adult gray - please advise... Thanks!

Found this afternoon what I believe to be a young adult gray (orange teeth, relatively bushy tail) in the neighborhood acting somewhat docile. The kids in the neighborhood mentioned she/he (I haven’t looked for sex yet) looked like it was limping but also friendly so it worried me that something was wrong. I walked right up to the squirrel and picked it up which completely concerned me as wild squirrels, from my limited knowledge, don’t act this way. I fed it ORS and some peanuts and bird seed suet we had on hand as it’s all we had (looking now for an appropriate breakfast for morning). The squirrel then cuddled up against my chest, under a blanket, while I sat near the fireplace and it slept for a few hours. It seems perfectly content to be held for long periods of time. I finally decided it was time to put them away so for now the squirrel is resting in a cat carrier nestled in a sheet. I called a rehabber in the area and she told me to give an animal clinic that does wildlife in the morning a call to see if they could check on its leg. I’m really hoping this wasn’t a home rehab failure or a pet that got released. I asked the neighbors and they all noticed the behavior, one of them did place some dried corn out. I’m kind of crazy about animals so I couldn’t just leave it out there. So yeah, is a friendly young adult squirrel normal?

Default Re: Concerned about a young adult gray - please advise... Thanks!

I can't stay long because of the time but please look at these sites to find out what to feed him/her.

https://www.henryspets.com/nutrition-info/

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

It sounds to me like someone's Non Releasable squirrel may have gotten away in my opinion. If you were able to walk up to him/her and pick him/her up, it probably won't have much of a chance against predators. Do you plan to keep him/her? Is it legal to have squirrels as pets in your state? Before you bring him/her to a Rehabber or Vet, please make sure they won't just euthanize him/her. Thank you for looking out for this squirrel.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GoldenEyes from:

Quote Originally Posted by peachpear View Post
    Found this afternoon what I believe to be a young adult gray (orange teeth, relatively bushy tail) in the neighborhood acting somewhat docile. The kids in the neighborhood mentioned she/he (I haven’t looked for sex yet) looked like it was limping but also friendly so it worried me that something was wrong. I walked right up to the squirrel and picked it up which completely concerned me as wild squirrels, from my limited knowledge, don’t act this way. I fed it ORS and some peanuts and bird seed suet we had on hand as it’s all we had (looking now for an appropriate breakfast for morning). The squirrel then cuddled up against my chest, under a blanket, while I sat near the fireplace and it slept for a few hours. It seems perfectly content to be held for long periods of time. I finally decided it was time to put them away so for now the squirrel is resting in a cat carrier nestled in a sheet. I called a rehabber in the area and she told me to give an animal clinic that does wildlife in the morning a call to see if they could check on its leg. I’m really hoping this wasn’t a home rehab failure or a pet that got released. I asked the neighbors and they all noticed the behavior, one of them did place some dried corn out. I’m kind of crazy about animals so I couldn’t just leave it out there. So yeah, is a friendly young adult squirrel normal?
    The behavior is not usual for a wild, very possibly an inexperenced "home rehab" either escaped or improperly released.
    Depending on it's age, how long it's been out, what it's been fed and what it's been given to eat, I have to wonder if what's
    wrong with it's leg is the onset of mbd.
    Ohio is a tough State on greys, if your seeking a rehabber allow TSB to locate a safe one for you.
    Can you post a couple pictures of this baby to help determine age, condition, etc.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019), Grinderhead (02-04-2019), TubeDriver (02-04-2019)

peachpear Guest

Thanks for the responses. The squirrel is currently sleeping so I’m going to try to not disturb it until morning and then I will have pics ASAP. I was hoping it’s not MBD but it’s possible. The squirrel didn’t react negatively when I lightly felt around it’s body and legs for wounds. Unfortunately I’m in Ohio so keeping him is out of the question but I’m not against holding it for a few days to see if they improve and can find a recommended rehabber/vet that isn’t going to euthanize (if deemed unnecessary). I may grab an avocado on the way home from running my early morning errands but I work from home so I can run out for any supplies (formula if he’s younger than I thought... or blocks or whatever) if need be. I can’t splurge on items but I can spare a little to help this little guy/gal.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

Thanks for helping him. We can try to locate a squirrel friendly rehabber who will devote the time needed to get this little healthy and ready for proper soft release. Many wildlife centers would just euthanize him so please hold him till you find a safe place for him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by peachpear View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The squirrel is currently sleeping so I’m going to try to not disturb it until morning and then I will have pics ASAP. I was hoping it’s not MBD but it’s possible. The squirrel didn’t react negatively when I lightly felt around it’s body and legs for wounds. Unfortunately I’m in Ohio so keeping him is out of the question but I’m not against holding it for a few days to see if they improve and can find a recommended rehabber/vet that isn’t going to euthanize (if deemed unnecessary). I may grab an avocado on the way home from running my early morning errands but I work from home so I can run out for any supplies (formula if he’s younger than I thought... or blocks or whatever) if need be. I can’t splurge on items but I can spare a little to help this little guy/gal.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

peachpear Guest

Oh I will definitely hold until a suitable option is found. Currently they’re in my lap chowing on avocado, arugula, blackberries and pecan bits. Working on photos now. My significant other told me to take as long as needed to find a place and I work from home so I’m pretty much here 24/7.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

peachpear Guest

Post Re: Concerned about a young adult gray - please advise... Thanks!

Name:  4E3CD264-9DFC-4811-A0BC-BCA6F532EDFA.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  107.1 KBHere’s a few photos.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

peachpear Guest

Also think he’s a boy Working on more pics but he wants to stay curled up so it’s hard to get a good pic. Did get a weight on him of 356 grams.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

Oh goodness, he looks very young. Keep him warm and cozy and see if you can get him to drink and have something to eat.
    Thank you for helping this poor little one...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

peachpear Guest

Name:  BA6FFBAD-16B5-4E51-B110-D65E03962834.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  67.9 KBName:  EE1859A0-E48D-4AAF-9236-7A27CE91A553.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  129.3 KB

He doesn’t like being uncovered very much.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

peachpear Guest

https://youtu.be/NTIS_5A1XMs

Here is him walking around (probably not used to hardwood floors). He peed quite a bit on the floor after this which made me happy to see. He likes to keep his head down. Is it possible he is special needs? He doesn't seem to have any actual foot trouble just seems very clumsy maybe? Maybe head trauma?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to peachpear from:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019)

there does seem to be something "off" with him while walking... his eyes also look a bit squinty in the last photo where you're holding him, it definitely looks like he doesn't feel well and perhaps light is causing him pain? similar to a bad headache?

he may very well have hit his head? keeping the head down is another clue, again possible head trauma.

usually in head trauma the advice is to get anti-inflammatory medication started within 48 hours to reduce any cranial swelling.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missPixy:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019), TubeDriver (02-04-2019)

A local squirrel rehabber has been found. You should soon be receiving (or already received) contact info.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (02-05-2019), Nancy in New York (02-04-2019), UwantSomaThis (02-05-2019)

Hi PeachPear, check your PM for contact info!

-Grateful Dead

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

GoldenEyes (02-05-2019), Mel1959 (02-05-2019), Nancy in New York (02-04-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1