Thread: Just a question...... but I can’t be the only one who does this....

Red face Just a question...... but I can’t be the only one who does this....

Does anyone else just take their babies out and just hold them and kiss them and snuggle them throughout the day, even when it’s not feeding time????? I know we aren’t “supposed to” since the ultimate goal is to release them with a healthy fear of humans, but i just can not help but love on them.... My husband swears I’m going to catch an illness.... I couldn’t care less.... i have to have my baby squirrel snuggles..... They are just so absolutely precious, and are only in our homes for a short little bit of time.... It only makes sense that they grow on us as much as they do.... I absolutely love them....

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cleolovelee:

GoldenEyes (02-06-2019), gunpackingrandma (02-17-2019), HalokaKana (02-17-2019), island rehabber (02-15-2019), lukaslolamaus (02-03-2019), Nancy in New York (02-03-2019), redwuff (02-06-2019)

Default Re: Just a question...... but I can’t be the only one who does this....

Quote Originally Posted by cleolovelee View Post
    Does anyone else just take their babies out and just hold them and kiss them and snuggle them throughout the day, even when it’s not feeding time????? I know we aren’t “supposed to” since the ultimate goal is to release them with a healthy fear of humans, but i just can not help but love on them.... My husband swears I’m going to catch an illness.... I couldn’t care less.... i have to have my baby squirrel snuggles..... They are just so absolutely precious, and are only in our homes for a short little bit of time.... It only makes sense that they grow on us as much as they do.... I absolutely love them....

I ALWAYS kiss them, love on them, carry them around
    and let them know they are loved.
    How can you help but not?

I'm overwintering some right now that were pinkies
    when I got them. They got all the touching, kisses, love and attention I
    could give.
    Now they are wild maniacs and chomping at
    the bit to get out.
    I'm counting the months for them.

Tell your hubby, you won't get any illnesses.

Love on your babies. They need it, and so do we.

Here's a great post below by a beloved member.

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Here's an excellent link on the importance of touch with babies. It references human, rat pups and worms and the effects of sensory stimulation on growth, development and ability to care for offspring.

I make a habit of simulating mommy licking during every feeding time with the tip of my finger, kind of little strokes and sometimes massage. I start at the head and work my way down the back and up the belly. By the time I get to the chest I have little legs making a scratch response and arms spread for some neck stroking.

Not only does it stimulate blood flow, but it strengthens the immune system, nervous system and supports brain growth. It supports bonding and trust and in my mind only, I think it gives baby a reason to live outside of eating and making poop. I've often wondered about the connection between failure to thrive babies and lack of physical stimulation.

Mom doesn't just feed baby and run off (in squirrels), she sleeps with them, provides warmth, jostles them, licks and manipulates their body throughout the day and night. So, while it may be convenient to feed, potty and put plump sleeping baby back in the bin, remember to stimulate baby's other senses, especially touch and temperature. A mommy wouldn't let baby lay in a snug corner and sleep for 24 hours without stimulation and neither should we.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2865952/

4. 16 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chickenlegs (02-05-2019), Chirps (03-05-2019), cleolovelee (02-04-2019), Diggie's Friend (02-08-2019), GoldenEyes (02-06-2019), Grinderhead (02-03-2019), gunpackingrandma (03-04-2019), HalokaKana (02-17-2019), island rehabber (02-03-2019), lukaslolamaus (02-03-2019), Mel1959 (02-05-2019), SammysMom (02-03-2019), Scooterzmom (02-04-2019), Snowy (02-04-2019), stepnstone (02-03-2019), Vox (02-04-2019)

Yes, I definitely had to do this. Love is important for babies to grow! It is known.

My baby squirrel routine was as follows;
    Wipe the baby
    Feed the baby
    Wipe the baby
    Clean the baby
    Kiss the baby
    Always kiss the baby

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelDad:

Diggie's Friend (02-08-2019), gunpackingrandma (03-04-2019), island rehabber (02-06-2019)

I kiss and love all babies! I stop when they stop bottle feeding (I self wean all my mammals), if they are releasable. It can be so hard sometimes to not grab that baby I was just holding last week! It helps to know there will be another one that needs help coming along soon. Well, that's my approach...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to EmilyGhetto from:

island rehabber (02-06-2019)

I absolutely love and snuggle and kiss all my babies for about their first 6 weeks or until they get so squirmy I am in danger of losing an eye. Especially with pinkies and 2-3 week olds, it is so critical that we duplicate as much of what their lives would have been naturally with their mammas while they still can't see us. They want to feel warmth and a heartbeat; hold them near your heart especially if they are ill or have just come in. If you have hair, hold them under your hair at your neck and hummmmmmmm......this can make a baby who refuses to eat anything become a voracious little munchkin. It makes them believe their mamma is near, and it works.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cleolovelee (02-07-2019), Diggie's Friend (02-08-2019), HalokaKana (02-17-2019), Mel1959 (02-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelDad View Post
    Yes, I definitely had to do this. Love is important for babies to grow! It is known.

My baby squirrel routine was as follows;
    Wipe the baby
    Feed the baby
    Wipe the baby
    Clean the baby
    Kiss the baby
    Always kiss the baby
    I love that "always kiss the baby"...lol!!!

Hahahahahha, really the question should be "Who Doesn't Do This"
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

I agree with everyone here. It is so important to their development and I recommend to all of our volunteers to do so, when they are fostering them. Once they wean and start the wild up process, they seem to tap that natural instinct reserve and are fine. In a very short time, they go from wanting all the kisses in the world, to wanting to draw blood if you let them.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Duckman from:

Nancy in New York (02-14-2019)

Let's not forget to "Sniff the baby"! Baby squirrels, when they are healthy and clean, smell like the most delicious maple syrup you could ever buy. Seriously. Sniff 'em.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

HalokaKana (02-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Let's not forget to "Sniff the baby"! Baby squirrels, when they are healthy and clean, smell like the most delicious maple syrup you could ever buy. Seriously. Sniff 'em.
    How I miss that smell!!!! Can't say it smells like Maple Syrup but it is heavenly!!!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JPlagg from:

island rehabber (02-15-2019)

This thread made me spend about a half hour after feeding this morning just loving on mine! I can't wait to get home to do it some more

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HalokaKana from:

Nancy in New York (03-04-2019)

Infectious ain't it?

I hate to admit it but Rocky just turned 7 months old and I still love on him several times a day, every day. I think he likes it as much as I do.

I'm going to find it hard to release him next month!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

lukaslolamaus (03-04-2019), Nancy in New York (03-04-2019)

Because I don’t rehab all that many squirrels I don’t follow standard protocol. I have been VERY fortunate that my neighbors are understanding and I have had no problems. I have maintained a relationship with the squirrels that I have raised and released. They still visit and jump on me or my husband for a nut, but don’t do that to others. Heck, we have wild squirrels that will jump on us for a nut! So far, the last two I released are still sticking close to home. My first two releases stayed close for more than a year. It was just last July that I stopped seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Because I don’t rehab all that many squirrels I don’t follow standard protocol. I have been VERY fortunate that my neighbors are understanding and I have had no problems. I have maintained a relationship with the squirrels that I have raised and released. They still visit and jump on me or my husband for a nut, but don’t do that to others. Heck, we have wild squirrels that will jump on us for a nut! So far, the last two I released are still sticking close to home. My first two releases stayed close for more than a year. It was just last July that I stopped seeing them.
    I am very glad to read this. I have only ever raised one, and she is my darling baby even though she is out and about now being a squirrel. She usually comes to me first thing in the morning and jumps on me. If the bird feeders are empty I can sometimes get her to eat a whole rodent block, but usually she either takes a nibble or goes straight to caching it under my coat collar on the back of my neck. I love the way she delicately pats my head or ponytail as she "buries" it. Then she wants the good stuff (pecans). Same in the afternoon/evening after work. She knows when my car comes in and comes begging. My boss made me 2 squirrel boxes. She was recently kicked out of hers, and moved into the other which I never got my brother to hang. It is sitting on top of an empty rabbit hutch, only 4 or so feet off the ground. I am both nervous and thinking no one will want to kick her out of such a low-to-the-ground house.

As for snuggle time, Navvy slept with me in a little container (so I wouldn't squish her) for the first 3 weeks or so I had her. And she got plenty of bra time until she didn't want it. I would always put her inside my shirt after feeding so she could have physical contact and hear my heartbeat etc. and just be warm, kind of like when a hen broods her chicks.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Mel1959 (03-05-2019), Nancy in New York (03-05-2019)