Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Peeing and pooping time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Peeing and pooping time

    Hello, Iím new here me and my boyfriend just found two baby squirrels one boy (Peanut) and one girl (LUlu) I have a question regarding bathroom time. It takes us about 20 mins for each squirrel to empty out pee and poop. It takes forever. They are peeing great and there poop also looks healthy. How long does it take you ? Is it normal to take that long

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,268
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    Hello, Iím new here me and my boyfriend just found two baby squirrels one boy (Peanut) and one girl (LUlu) I have a question regarding bathroom time. It takes us about 20 mins for each squirrel to empty out pee and poop. It takes forever. They are peeing great and there poop also looks healthy. How long does it take you ? Is it normal to take that long
    I assume your stimulating to potty?
    What would be their ages, can you post a picture?
    More importantly what are you feeding them?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    They are 3 weeks I believe and yes we are stimulating. How long does it normally take? To completely empty there bladder it takes around 10-20 mins each squirrel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    We are feeding them esbilac. There pee is clear and there poops are solid little golden colored. From what I read thatís healthy the only thing is they take a while to empty there bladeers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,268
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    We are feeding them esbilac. There pee is clear and there poops are solid little golden colored. From what I read thatís healthy the only thing is they take a while to empty there bladeers
    I've not had a baby take 20 minutes to void...
    Just to clarify, is it the powderd Esbilac as pictured below?
    Do you have weights on them to be feeding them between the 5-7% body weight?
    How often have you been feeding?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    redwuff (02-02-2019)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Hello we just got a scale they weigh 38 gs and one weighs 37 gs. I think we were over feeding. They didn’t bloat or anything but we wer feeding 3 ccs every 4 hours. We just did 2cc every 3 hours and they both went to the bathroom in like 5 minutes. So I think that is the problem. How often would u feed and how much if they weigh 38gs and 37 gs??? And yes it’s the powdered. They both seem like they want to eat way more than 2cc

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Feeding questions

    I have two baby squirrels I believe they are around 3 weeks bc there bottom teeth are emerging. They weigh 38gs and 37 gs. How often do I feed and how much? And do I feed during the night? How long can they go?? Thank you! Iím feeding them with esibilic powdered kind

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 96

    Default Re: Feeding questions

    Iím new so Iíll let the pros advise you but they gave me this link to cover some of your questions until a rehaber can help you . https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,268
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    Hello we just got a scale they weigh 38 gs and one weighs 37 gs. I think we were over feeding. They didnít bloat or anything but we wer feeding 3 ccs every 4 hours. We just did 2cc every 3 hours and they both went to the bathroom in like 5 minutes. So I think that is the problem. How often would u feed and how much if they weigh 38gs and 37 gs??? And yes itís the powdered. They both seem like they want to eat way more than 2cc
    Baby 38 grams between the 5-7% would be between 1.9 -2.6 cc formula
    Baby 37 grams between the 5-7% would be between 1.8 - 2.5 cc formula
    I'd keep them both at 2 cc every 3 hours (for now) as long as bowels stay stable.
    If they start to loosen move it back to every 4 hours.
    Don't push to increase too soon, just because they will eat more don't say their
    little systems will be able to digest it properly.

    Can you post a better picture of babies minus the blue bear.
    Here is the formula pic I forgot to post
    .

    Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  65.8 KB

    Edit: I have merged your other thread asking the same with this one.
    We ask you keep to one forum so we can help with all concerns and
    follow babies progress without confusion.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    Grinderhead (02-03-2019), UwantSomaThis (02-05-2019)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Name:  77C84C90-1C73-460C-997D-1B4BE28FF9B0.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  73.3 KBName:  06BCBF56-EC51-4DC6-AF1F-FF68955C88FE.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  68.4 KB

  13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PeanutandLulu:

    Grinderhead (02-03-2019), stepnstone (02-03-2019)

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    We have switched to 2cc every 3 hours and they are peeing and pooping within 5-10 mins so they are doing much better. Some websites go off of how old they are and show a lot more for their weight which is why I was asking how much for their weight and how long. Bc all websites say different things and some are the same.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,268
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Thanks for the pictures.
    What are you feeding them with and are they on a heat source?

    Here's a link on baby squirrel care, this can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    Grinderhead (02-03-2019)

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,268
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutandLulu View Post
    We have switched to 2cc every 3 hours and they are peeing and pooping within 5-10 mins so they are doing much better. Some websites go off of how old they are and show a lot more for their weight which is why I was asking how much for their weight and how long. Bc all websites say different things and some are the same.
    Squirrel babies are fed 5-7% according to body weight, age has nothing to do
    with determining their stomach capacity. Your babies are small and underweight.
    Chart below will give you an idea of ideal weight vs age.
    What was the condition to you finding these babies?


    Weight Chart:
    Based on --Wild Mammal Babies 2nd Edition
    Birth ---: between 15 & 25 grams
    1 weeks: between 25 & 60 grams
    2 weeks: between 60 & 70 grams
    3 weeks: between 70 & 80 grams
    4 weeks: between 80 & 120 grams
    5 weeks: between 120 & 150 grams
    6 weeks: between 150 & 250 grams
    7-8 weeks: 250 grams and greater

    *weight may vary depending how long the orphan baby squirrel
    has been away from mom and food.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    Grinderhead (02-03-2019)

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    4,640
    Thanked: 6048

    Default Re: Peeing and pooping time

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Squirrel babies are fed 5-7% according to body weight, age has nothing to do
    with determining their stomach capacity. Your babies are small and underweight.
    Chart below will give you an idea of ideal weight vs age.
    What was the condition to you finding these babies?


    Weight Chart:
    Based on --Wild Mammal Babies 2nd Edition
    Birth ---: between 15 & 25 grams
    1 weeks: between 25 & 60 grams
    2 weeks: between 60 & 70 grams
    3 weeks: between 70 & 80 grams
    4 weeks: between 80 & 120 grams
    5 weeks: between 120 & 150 grams
    6 weeks: between 150 & 250 grams
    7-8 weeks: 250 grams and greater

    *weight may vary depending how long the orphan baby squirrel
    has been away from mom and food.
    Welcome !

    This weight is a guideline for gray squirrels in general. I see you’re in Orlando. I live south of Cocoa Beach and our gray squirrels tend to be much smaller. They typically max out as adults around the 400-450 gr. point....some less.

    I find it very helpful to keep a record of each squirrel. I write down the date, their weight each morning, how much they eat and time of each feeding and whether they peed and pooped at each feeding, and if there is an issue like loose stool or snorting milk. That way I know if something seems “off”, I can either back off of food amount or can gradually increase the amount of food. The 5-7% is a guideline, they will likely reach a point where they exceed that amount. You want to be sure their stool doesn’t get loose.

    The fact that it was taking them so long to void initially could be because there wasn’t enough inside them to produce a significant amount of urine or feces. They may have been dehydrated and without mom for awhile.

    Are you using a 1cc syringe to feed them? Most pharmacy’s will give you one if you tell them you’re feeding a baby kitten. They’re more sympathetic to cats than squirrels. �� Take care to go slow and hold back on the plunger when feeding them. Sometimes they go a little spastic and suck really hard. You don’t want to aspirate them. Henry’s Healthy Pets online sells Miracle Nipples that fit on the end of the syringe. They make feeding sooooo much easier. I suggest you invest in some. They will be eating from a syringe for quite some time.

    There are several good rehabbers in your area if you need immediate help and this forum has a wealth of knowledge from some of the smartest rehabbers anywhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •