Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Playas del Coco, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    Posts
    27,547
    Thanked: 4952

    Default J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    Yesterday I noticed that JD's pee was brown. The odor seemed normal but the color was weird. This morning the same. I hope it's dietary and not medical.
    Is there a "textbook " reason for a dark urine ?
    Please post any & all suggestions as I am in charge of my CREW --while RamaMama is in Florida....

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks....


    Name:  pee JD 3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  49.3 KBName:  pee JD 2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.8 KBName:  pee JD.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.7 KB

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

    RamaMama (02-07-2019)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Island, Bronx, NY
    Posts
    48,517
    Thanked: 11214

    Default Re: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    That looks like the color squirrels pee when they have had a lot of tannin in their diet -- from acorns or other natural foods. Have you given him something new that might be high in tannin?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator


    "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo


    *
    If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

    "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

    '...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

    RamaMama (02-07-2019)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Playas del Coco, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    Posts
    27,547
    Thanked: 4952

    Default Re: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    That looks like the color squirrels pee when they have had a lot of tannin in their diet -- from acorns or other natural foods. Have you given him something new that might be high in tannin?
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh? I gave JD a dried Mango Seed pod. he was the only one of my CREW to get one---Maybe THAT is the culprit... He devoured the large seed. I will keep a close eye on him today to see if his urine gets less dark---



    Name:  bad idea-001.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  71.4 KB
    P.S. I edited the "Bird text" for TSB....Ha

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Island, Bronx, NY
    Posts
    48,517
    Thanked: 11214

    Default Re: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh? I gave JD a dried Mango Seed pod. he was the only one of my CREW to get one---Maybe THAT is the culprit... He devoured the large seed. I will keep a close eye on him today to see if his urine gets less dark---

    hoping that's all it is!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator


    "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo


    *
    If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

    "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

    '...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

    Nancy in New York (02-02-2019)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    42,506
    Thanked: 18303

    Default Re: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    Dark pee can also be a sign of dehydration. Make sure that his water bottle is working.
    Found this on the internet:
    "About 75% of the total tannin content in mango seed kernel has been found to contain hydrolyzable tannins"
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...7.2008.00047.x

  9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    Diggie's Friend (02-02-2019), island rehabber (02-02-2019), RamaMama (02-07-2019)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Playas del Coco, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    Posts
    27,547
    Thanked: 4952

    Default Re: J.D. Marx--his pee is the color od coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Dark pee can also be a sign of dehydration. Make sure that his water bottle is working.
    Found this on the internet:
    "About 75% of the total tannin content in mango seed kernel has been found to contain hydrolyzable tannins"
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...7.2008.00047.x
    Although the seed kernel has a lot of anti-oxidants it also has tannins that can in some cases be toxic.
    Sooooooooo I flushed J.D. a little by giving him 18 cc of coconut water via syringe...He was thirsty. I'll wait till this afternoon, late, and offer him some more coco water.


    He is acting totally normal and shows no signs of distress.....

  11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

    JLM27 (02-02-2019), Mel1959 (02-03-2019), RamaMama (02-07-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •