Thread: Wally is acting very odd lately, appetite is down, dormant and wanting to hide

Question Wally is acting very odd lately, appetite is down, dormant and wanting to hide

Hi guys, thank you for this forum, I have received many helpful answers just by searching Google. Wally is about five months old and he has recently gotten very moody, grunting and squeaking at me mostly, but mom gets some of it too. He has stopped his healthy appetite that is normally there. He still gets his Fox Valley formula in its normal quantity for the most part. We have noticed that there is a hard area to the right of his penis on his belly. Looking up the anatomy of a grey squirrel I am not sure what organ or is on that side. Can anyone shed any light on what that hard area could be? The weather has changed since he has had this mood swing, very cold compared to what he is used to and for what is normally here. We figured he could be trying to hibernate for the cold weather?? Some species do and some do not from what I have found. The vet has put him on Clavamox to cover any infection that could be in his system. Negative for parasites. He is on Benebac. Xray does not show anything out of the ordinary. Bathroom time is normal, poop is kinda soft and can be watery from the Clavamox, and his pee does not look like it is affected stream wise for a blockage possibility. Has anyone else had this moody episode in their squirrel ever happen? Name:  PhotoGrid_1548954683690.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  88.6 KB

Default Re: Wally is acting very odd lately, appetite is down, dormant and wanting to hide

The change in demeanor of your squirrel may in part be due to him going wild, yet as you say he is off his feed.

Though it should be on both sides, there are glands on either side of the penis. Of course it could be another cause, like cancer that is hard, or some other condition. I would ask your vet to take an x ray of the area to get their professional opinion.

Were you feeding him rodent block, and what kind. What other foods have you been feeding him?

One thing that can help with good digestion as well as increase bioavailablity of nutrients is a pre/probiotic.

Pet Flora from Vitality Science is an excellent source of soil based organisms that squirrels normally have access to in the wild,

this of course contains no bad bacteria.

1/64 Tsp. daily Use Norpro, or comparable mini Tsp. source for measuring. The smallest measure is (1/64) Tsp. the largest (1/4 Tsp.)

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainl.../dp/B0009X1P9S
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Wallysdad (01-31-2019)

Default Re: Wally is acting very odd lately, appetite is down, dormant and wanting to hide

Scratch the part about getting an x-ray, I see you wrote you had.

(See illustration of Urogenital tract)

http://ratguide.com/breeding/anatomy...ive_system.php
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (02-01-2019), Nancy in New York (02-05-2019), Wallysdad (01-31-2019)

Yes, we feed him Hi-Protein blocks from Henry's, usually three a day. The vet gave us Benebac Plus gel, we have used it for a few days now. I do see the Pet Flora on Amazon, only for cats and dogs however. Is there a specific one to get for squirrels? His foods vary, we change it up every day, throughout the day. Spinach, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, kale, cilantro, whole green beans, whole snap peas, apple pieces, cranberries, pear pieces, blueberries, radish pieces, carrot, bok choy, napa cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine, and iceberg. There are in small portions and we try to go light on the fruit he gets for the sugar content. Those pdf files were great! Thank you for that information. Update for this evening. He is better and playing more than he has in a few days, eating cranberries and snap peas. I also found a thread that showed using dry oatmeal to soothe the intestinal tract along with sprinkling the vita-min powder on the veggies. I did both of those with the cranberries and snap peas and he enjoyed it. That was the most time he has spent at the food bowl for three days. We did pass on the Clavamox dose this morning hoping for more consistent bowel movements and it seemed to also improve his appetite with his attitude. Thank you for the response.

Was the vet concerned about the hard lump? Is your vet knowledgeable about squirrels? Sad to say, but many aren’t.

Squirrels don’t hibernate...at least none that I know of. The cold weather can certainly make them want to stay in their houses. Is this squirrel in an outside or inside cage?

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019), Wallysdad (01-31-2019)

He was concerned about the lump, but did not know what it was. More concerned about it being the bladder and having a backup there not being able to urinate. Knocked him out and took the xray and massaged the area to see if it would help. I would say he is knowledgeable about squirrels enough to help treat them for anything, but like us here not enough to know where everything is inside the squirrel. He has an inside cage that we get into the sunlight through a window or outside every day. Or we let him hang upside down in the curtain to get sun.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

Mel1959 (02-05-2019)

I contacted this company to inquire about that; they told me was that the formulas are the same for cats and dogs but could be used for small mammals. They have factored it by bwt. yet when you factor in metabolic level it is higher. (1/64) Tsp. daily is the amount that has been used in my diet research for tree squirrels.

Looking at the list of what feed, I would dump the spinach as it provides no calcium to the diet and lowers calcium in other foods it is consumed with. It also is so high in oxalic acid it can irritate the bowel and damage the good digestive flora it contains also. The Iceberg lettuce has nil nutritional value, and sweet potato raw isn't healthy to feed, releasing cyanide, which when cooked is destroyed, and cooked is very high in sugars that promote diabetes, not fresh fruits that don't. If though a squirrel has diabetes then it may be needful to reduce fruit intake, but not if they don't, only sugar intake from high starch sources like sweet potatoes. Instead of SP, feed baked butternut, and/or acorn squash, it is lower in carbs and has a good (Ca:P) ratio by comparison to SP. Raw fruit provides vital enzymes for digestion, vitamin C. and anti- inflammatory compounds. Just lower the measure daily to approx. 1/2 Tsp. . The rest of the whole foods you feed are good if you feed organic, for those that are conventionally produced effect the health of the squirrel much the same as conventional with some pesticides according to a study in rats comparing both diets to that of one that is Organic, with the same complement of minerals and other nutrients included in each diet.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Nancy in New York (02-05-2019)

Edit: The rest of the whole foods, save perhaps radishes that are goitrogenic, are good to feed if organically produced using healthy organic fertilizers, or none. In a study comparing various kinds of diets in wild rats, an diet with organic fruits and vegetables was compared with a diet of conventional produced, and conventional with some pesticides added, all three diets provided with the same mineral vitamin mix. The result of the organic diet was found to support to immune health, good sleep, healthy weight, and longevity; yet both the conventional and conventional plus diets had poor results, which were about the same in both of these diets.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Nancy in New York (02-05-2019), Wallysdad (02-02-2019)

More concerned about it being the bladder and having a backup there not being able to urinate.
    There is a condition that can develop known as 'diverticulum', in the bladder; which unlike bowel polyps, those in the bladder are larger, and often singular, ballooning out from the lining of the bladder outward into the abdominal cavity. They are noted to be caused by damage to the bladder from crystals (stones). Over time these bladder polyps can becomes cancerous. Be aware, that though that diverticulum don't appear opaque (white) as other cancers of a solid structure can, but as an outline that may be hard to make out in the early stages. Infections also appear dark, not white on x-rays. He's rather on the young side for diverticulum to have developed. If this is an enlarged gland, it is most likely due it enlarging as he matures. Again no vet here, just sharing knowledge from those that are.

Oatmeal is good; it contains Beta-glucans, healthy compounds that soothe the lining of the intestines, and support the bowel with fiber which helps to offset watery stool. (1/4 Tsp.) finished cooked measure should be sufficient to support this purpose.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Wallysdad (02-02-2019)

Sorry I did fail to mention that we buy organic veggies for him. If organic is not available then I do not buy that trip. We are aware of the spinach not being exactly great so it is very limited, but now we will dump it off of his list. The sweet potato will get an exit as well. I will bake some butternut squash to give him instead. Thank you for the information.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

Diggie's Friend (02-01-2019)

Please be consistant with the Clavamox dosages. Complete the full trial or stop altogether but do not intermittantly give antibiotics. That just creates resistant bacteria.

You can give him probiotic powder to counteract the GI effects of the AB. If he is taking clavamox 2x/ day (morning and evening) give him a pinch of CVS powder in the afternoon on his block. This is the type of probiotic I am talking about:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...5?skuid=919055

Open up the capsule, place in a baggy. Take a pince and sprinkle on his block or in a booball for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallysdad View Post
    Yes, we feed him Hi-Protein blocks from Henry's, usually three a day. The vet gave us Benebac Plus gel, we have used it for a few days now. I do see the Pet Flora on Amazon, only for cats and dogs however. Is there a specific one to get for squirrels? His foods vary, we change it up every day, throughout the day. Spinach, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, kale, cilantro, whole green beans, whole snap peas, apple pieces, cranberries, pear pieces, blueberries, radish pieces, carrot, bok choy, napa cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine, and iceberg. There are in small portions and we try to go light on the fruit he gets for the sugar content. Those pdf files were great! Thank you for that information. Update for this evening. He is better and playing more than he has in a few days, eating cranberries and snap peas. I also found a thread that showed using dry oatmeal to soothe the intestinal tract along with sprinkling the vita-min powder on the veggies. I did both of those with the cranberries and snap peas and he enjoyed it. That was the most time he has spent at the food bowl for three days. We did pass on the Clavamox dose this morning hoping for more consistent bowel movements and it seemed to also improve his appetite with his attitude. Thank you for the response.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (02-01-2019), island rehabber (02-01-2019), Nancy in New York (02-05-2019), Wallysdad (02-02-2019)

Thank you for the advice. I have the pet flora on the way already. And since it has warmed up the past two days Wally has been much better as far as his attitude towards us. Not overly complaining about coming out from his cozy cube but he still isn't just running out once the door is open like he is known for. He is playing more and not just trying to hide. We also did stop the AB two days ago from the advice of his vet as long as the probiotic is still given. So benebac until the new one comes. Plenty of pee and poop to be had. Considering getting him neutered if it is his reproductive system that is out of wack. Is that something anyone has done for their male buddy? Obviously do not want to make anything worse but we are willing to do anything to help our little friend.

Great news for us, Wally is back to normal. We are not sure what the problem with him was, weather or the medicine, but he is back to his normal self running and playing. No more hiding. His appetite is back to where it should be. He is now on the vitamins from Henry's and the Pet Flora. Thank you for the responses and advice. The diagrams and study information was excellent.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

Nancy in New York (02-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallysdad View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I have the pet flora on the way already. And since it has warmed up the past two days Wally has been much better as far as his attitude towards us. Not overly complaining about coming out from his cozy cube but he still isn't just running out once the door is open like he is known for. He is playing more and not just trying to hide. We also did stop the AB two days ago from the advice of his vet as long as the probiotic is still given. So benebac until the new one comes. Plenty of pee and poop to be had. Considering getting him neutered if it is his reproductive system that is out of wack. Is that something anyone has done for their male buddy? Obviously do not want to make anything worse but we are willing to do anything to help our little friend.
    Is there a medical reason he cannot be released? I caution you about getting him neutered. He’s still young and who knows what he will be like in captivity when he reaches maturity. Both males and females can become very nasty and aggressive when they reach maturity....to the point that they can’t be handled. If for some reason you choose to release him in the future it would be nice if he could procreate as nature intended.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Wallysdad (02-05-2019)

Not a medical reason no. But they're too many stray cats in our area to release him here. Until we find an excellent place where he would be safe he is cozy with us. I have read where wild squirrels have ganged up on releases and killed them not long after being released. That scares us too.

I understand completely about wanting to protect them. . There are lots of rehabbers all around Florida if you’d like to post your city/county we might be able to find someone near you that could help with a release if you decide to go that route.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Wallysdad (02-05-2019)

Post Re: Wally is acting very odd lately, appetite is down, dormant and wanting to hide

Thank you, we will keep that in mind. Getting home today his diarrhea is back to where it was last week when his appetite was down. Gooey yellow liquid is coming out of him. The only thing that changed was the butternut squash that I added back into rotation, that he has had with no issues before. I did nuke a small batch of the Bob's Red Mill oatmeal that was suggested for someone else and he liked that version cooled down opposed to the dry style out of the bag. Fingers crossed that will at least give him some comfort if not tighten his stomach up to where it needs to be. Do I need to cook the squash longer maybe?

I am also curious about the Fox Valley formula options. He is weaning himself from the bottle slowly. His current formula is the 20% protein 50% fat. Could that be too much fat for him as a 5 month old? They make a wean formula that has lower numbers. As a precaution he has been checked for coccidia, negative. No blood in the diarrhea just yellow in color and mucus present. Cranberries cut in half, snap peas in shell, and kale with his Henry block is all he has had today.

I’ve never had an issue with Fox Valley and loose stool, and have used FV 20/50 through to self-weaning. Rotate the butternut squash back out of his diet and see what happens. A small dose of kaopectate or Pepto Bismal may help solidify his stool, as well as pumpkin and infant rice cereal or Rice Chex. The medicines cause his stool to turn dark which is how you know it’s passed through his system.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Wallysdad (02-06-2019)

So it took 2 days for the formula experiment. It is definitely the formula that is upsetting his stomach. Either the Clavamox irritated his digestive system and the formula is now continuing to do so. Or it is his body saying that he is done with the formula at his age. Could be too much fat and protein. His intake, by his choosing, is down to only 5ml from 20ml. So success as far as the diarrhea. Weaned!

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

Mel1959 (02-08-2019)