Thread: Bald spot on nose

Hybrid View

Default Bald spot on nose

Oliver has a bald spot on his nose. I know it’s from him tying to get out of his cage. It’s the cage from Henry’s so I think the bar spacing isn’t too big. He gets out of his cage for at least 3-4 hours a day during the week and all day on the weekends. He eats Henry’s blocks and green veggies, sometimes a small piece of corn and a piece of fruit. And he gets sticks and pine cones and anything else from outside that they like to chew on. He has several stuffed animals two hammocks several sticks to run on and a few platforms. What else can I do to make him not do this? And when he’s out of his cage he has a big room with two nesting boxes two cat trees with rope and braided fleece hanging so he can swing and several other things to climb on. He can literally play and run around as much as he wants.

Default Re: Bald spot on nose

It sounds like you have provided lots of entertainment. . Some things that might occupy him for a short time. Toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes taped close on either end with a treat inside. A box of tissues or a roll of toilet paper. Bird toys that you can hide a treat in and he has to work to get it out. A container of safe dirt.

These are temporary fixes, I know. The only thing I can think off to discourage him from chewing on the bars that wouldn’t harm him is to spray a product called Yuck! on a cloth and wipe the bars with the cloth. It is very bitter tasting, but made for animals so it’s safe. Some other flavors I have heard squirrels don’t like are peppermint, cinnamon and eucalyptus.

Maybe someone else who has experienced this will offer a suggestion. I hope you can get him to stop. Bar chewing is harmful to his teeth.

Default Re: Bald spot on nose

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It sounds like you have provided lots of entertainment. . Some things that might occupy him for a short time. Toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes taped close on either end with a treat inside. A box of tissues or a roll of toilet paper. Bird toys that you can hide a treat in and he has to work to get it out. A container of safe dirt.

These are temporary fixes, I know. The only thing I can think off to discourage him from chewing on the bars that wouldn’t harm him is to spray a product called Yuck! on a cloth and wipe the bars with the cloth. It is very bitter tasting, but made for animals so it’s safe. Some other flavors I have heard squirrels don’t like are peppermint, cinnamon and eucalyptus.

Maybe someone else who has experienced this will offer a suggestion. I hope you can get him to stop. Bar chewing is harmful to his teeth.

I know i hope he stops too!! And I’m going to try the toilet paper roll with a treat today. And see what other toys I can find that might help. And I think I’ve seen the spray your talking about at tractor supply. Thank you!!!