Thread: 1 yr and 8 month old female still missing

Hybrid View

Default 1 yr and 8 month old female still missing

Hi , the 1 year and 8 month old squirrel named Earlene has still not showed up now for 4 weeks. Three days before she went missing I believe she was in a mating chase which makes me think she could be pregnant. I still hope she is just cycling with this time of the year and this is just a behavioral pattern. I did see a fox in the ravine area which is close to one of her trees. I also saw a hawk in a tree over the ravine lately too. I can't help but think that a predator could have gotten her which breaks my heart. It makes me sad to think that she could have suffered and I wasn't there for her. I go outside everyday and go through in my mind each area where she would come to see me. I'm so sad over this. How do you guys deal with the unknown situations with these little ones? I cry everyday at some point thinking about her and how empty my yard is without her right now. Just wondering how you get through all of this. Thanks

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Default Re: 1 yr and 8 month old female still missing

It’s never easy when they go missing. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this. . Please don’t give up hope. Many folks on here have had their beloved yard or released squirrels take off for months at a time, only to reappear as though they never left.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

MapleRidgesquirrel (02-07-2019), RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Oh good. I hope that's the case. The other morning when I went outside a stray cat was sitting on one of my squirrel houses way up in the tree. Luckily the squirrel was not in the house at that time. I just trapped the cat tonight. I plan on taking it to get neutered tomorrow and releasing the cat to my sisters farm. Thanks

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    Hi , the 1 year and 8 month old squirrel named Earlene has still not showed up now for 4 weeks. Three days before she went missing I believe she was in a mating chase which makes me think she could be pregnant. I still hope she is just cycling with this time of the year and this is just a behavioral pattern. I did see a fox in the ravine area which is close to one of her trees. I also saw a hawk in a tree over the ravine lately too. I can't help but think that a predator could have gotten her which breaks my heart. It makes me sad to think that she could have suffered and I wasn't there for her. I go outside everyday and go through in my mind each area where she would come to see me. I'm so sad over this. How do you guys deal with the unknown situations with these little ones? I cry everyday at some point thinking about her and how empty my yard is without her right now. Just wondering how you get through all of this. Thanks
    Many of us have been through the same thing, the anguish of not knowing.
    The fears, guilt, and the emptiness. We all grieve over our babies.
    Time brings acceptance and time gives us hope. And we pray that they are
    out there in their world being squirrels....
    Take time to grieve, acceptance will follow.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

I always wished I could have GPS chips on squirrels so I could go find them and observe what they do in the wild all day long when they weren't in the yard I used to have. Maybe one day in the near future they'll have them for squirrels.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to GoldenEyes:

Do not give up hope, as long as you did not see anything bad happen, there is still a chance and some squirrels will relocate when there are predators around, some of my regulars have done that multiple times and surprised me when they moved back here. Wishing for the best for Earlene

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tomcics:

MapleRidgesquirrel (02-17-2019), RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Hi , I hope that's the case with her. She still hasn't showed up now for 7 weeks. The other females are starting to show up now that had babies 2 weeks ago. They are the aggressive ones though that live very close to my house. Earlene is a sweet little gal that tries to avoid them. I hope that she just moved farther back into the woods and doesn't want to loose sight of her nest until her babies are older. Thanks again

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Earlene still hasn't come by. I hope she just relocated and will return once her babies are old enough to leave alone for awhile. I have several new wilds showing up for treats. They get about 2 feet away from me and wait for me to drop the nut for them to get. When Earlene came by regularly they would watch her take a nut from my hand and then a few would realize it was safe for them to take a nut from my hand as well. How do you guys get the wilds to take a nut out of you hand? I'm giving them pecans , english walnuts , and hazelnuts in the shell. I also feed them every morning and evening mixed nuts out of the shell and avocado. Thanks

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MapleRidgesquirrel:

RockyPops (11-07-2019), tomcics (11-08-2019)