Thread: keeping flyers in ohio?

Default keeping flyers in ohio?

hi everyone! i have two little flyer boys who i was told were legal to own in ohio (i found greys before and learned i could not keep those-- they have been released for quite some time now!) however, i was asked today by someone to speak to some professionals about them. i called a local rehabber and left a message, but thought i would ask here as well while i wait. is it ok for me to keep them, or do i need someone's help? i love them very much, so i want to make sure they are safe.

a little info that's probably important-- i've had them for a little under a year and raised them from 4 weeks, so they are very tame and friendly but a little scared of strangers. they live in a double critter nation, and they eat hhb for flyers, various veggies, and different insects/chicken/bones/yogurt/ etc. as i read on here is important for them. a picture below of one :-)

Name:  cup.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  22.7 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to seven from:

GoldenEyes (01-25-2019)

Default Re: keeping flyers in ohio?

Your good.

States where flying squirrels are legal to keep as pets are: Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin and Washington.

The states where a permit or license is required to own a flying squirrel are: Arizona, Delaware, Indiana, Florida, Maine, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah (Northern Flying Squirrels only), West Virginia and Wyoming.
    The following states do not allow residents to keep flying squirrels as pets: Alabama, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, Utah (Southern Flying Squirrels are banned), Vermont and Virginia.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Diggie's Friend (01-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Your good.

States where flying squirrels are legal to keep as pets are: Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin and Washington.

The states where a permit or license is required to own a flying squirrel are: Arizona, Delaware, Indiana, Florida, Maine, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah (Northern Flying Squirrels only), West Virginia and Wyoming.
    The following states do not allow residents to keep flying squirrels as pets: Alabama, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, Utah (Southern Flying Squirrels are banned), Vermont and Virginia.
    stepnstone, thank you so much! the dnr guy who asked me to talk to rehabbers said i couldn't have them, but all i've ever heard was that i can! i was so confused why he told me that. i texted him to let him know i was talking to people he gave me the numbers for and other rehabbers too, but he hasn't responded yet and neither has the first person i called. is there anything special you think i should say, or is it ok just to have this list?

Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post
    stepnstone, thank you so much! the dnr guy who asked me to talk to rehabbers said i couldn't have them, but all i've ever heard was that i can! i was so confused why he told me that. i texted him to let him know i was talking to people he gave me the numbers for and other rehabbers too, but he hasn't responded yet and neither has the first person i called. is there anything special you think i should say, or is it ok just to have this list?
    You can legally have them, I'd just let it go...
    Some people of "authority" can't take being told they are wrong
    and just might find other reasons to retaliate. Let it go.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (01-26-2019), GoldenEyes (01-25-2019), island rehabber (01-25-2019)

You can legally have them, I'd just let it go...
    Some people of "authority" can't take being told they are wrong
    and just might find other reasons to retaliate. Let it go.
    ok, i just wanted to make sure because he asked me to text. i appreciate your reassurance a lot, and i'm sure my boys do too!

Name:  hold.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  20.5 KB

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to seven:

GoldenEyes (01-26-2019), island rehabber (01-25-2019), stepnstone (01-26-2019)

ok, i just wanted to make sure because he asked me to text. i appreciate your reassurance a lot, and i'm sure my boys do too!
    In the future... don't contact DNR!
    Most take their jobs way too serious.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

In the future... don't contact DNR!
    Most take their jobs way too serious.
    I definitely won't! I only talked to him in the first place because someone told him I had pet squirrels, so of course he had to come and say get rid of them, and i was scared they would get taken away. I think he thought I just took random ones from outside? Because he said I should release them right now if I can.. tiny flyers in the dead of winter!

I definitely won't! I only talked to him in the first place because someone told him I had pet squirrels, so of course he had to come and say get rid of them, and i was scared they would get taken away. I think he thought I just took random ones from outside? Because he said I should release them right now if I can.. tiny flyers in the dead of winter!
    Ohio as with many States are pretty anal when it comes to greys, fox, and red squirrels.
    You can hunt them, kill them, can't protect and keep them. If you were in violation they
    would already be at your door to seize them and fine the crap out of you.
    Whoever that "someone" was needs a foot up their backside!

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Ohio as with many States are pretty anal when it comes to greys, fox, and red squirrels.
    You can hunt them, kill them, can't protect and keep them. If you were in violation they
    would already be at your door to seize them and fine the crap out of you.
    Whoever that "someone" was needs a foot up their backside!

I agree! I'm just really glad they are safe and really really grateful for your help. I couldn't stand the thought of them being put out in the snow to die- if they had to go anywhere, I wanted it to be with someone on here! But I will keep the list you gave me for reference, and if I ever find out who the "someone" was.. I'll send them this way for an earful

Silverfinch Guest

Does anyone know where I can get 10 to 20 northern greys, tame or not, to set up for breeding?

Hi Silverfinch, welcome to The Squirrel Board.
    No, I'm sure no one will know where to get Northern flyers. Have you checked the legalities in your state? I'm actually not aware of any breeders that sell Northern flyers? Do you know of any breeders that sell Northerns? There are several breeders across the country that sell the Southerns. I'm pretty sure it's not legal to take them out of the wild. I know in my state (FL) it is illegal to capture any wildlife for the purpose of breeding or selling.

I can say with certainly that by far most of the flyers that are on this board are Southern flyers. Only rarely do we see a Northern here.

To be honest with you, this board no longer supports the breeding for sale of flying squirrels. At one time there were not any rules regarding it but now rules are in place that forbid selling flyers on TSB. We do realize that it is a common practice in legal states. When it became clear that putting baby flyers in shipping boxes without food and flying them all over this country was cruel and often deadly to the baby, a policy was written to forbid anything associated with selling flyers on this board.

I personally own a southern flyer that came from a breeder in Texas. I DID NOT PURCHASE HIM. I actually won't buy one as it doesn't feel right to me. He came to me as a sickly rehab that was offered for adoption by a rehabber that had taken him in for health issues. His original owners had relinquished him due to his health problems.

You might have already done this but I would I would check out the laws in your state.
    I think those that sell Southern flyers are USDA permitted to be legally allowed to do so.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (03-16-2019)

Sorry, I just noticed something on your post. On the title is says flyers. In the post it says greys so I’m a little confused. I see you linked onto an older thread so you might indeed have meant greys.
    Greys are not breed in captivity.