Thread: Hides in the closet

Default Hides in the closet

The squirrel I rescued from outside jumping on people found out she can go under the closet door. She comes out to eat and then goes back into the closet.
    This squirrel is honestly the weirdest squirrel I've ever had. She also won't eat any fruit or vegetables. What in the heck?!

Default Re: Hides in the closet

Our boy once got under the closet door when he was yet a juvenile. He then chewed into one of my storage boxes. I could hear him, but couldn't locate him; so I took down the boxes very carefully not wanting the contents to shift, and out he came. Not so strange when you consider the reason he went into the closet was to explore, then finding a potential nesting site he chewed his way in. I think if we had removed our storage from the closet that this would have been his preferred home. Yet considering that it has little climbing space it would have been needful to provide a wire fabric ramp for him to climb up. As it was, we needed the storage space; we gave the rest of the room to our 2 squirrels, with an 8 ft. long by 5 ft. deep enclosure that nearly filled the room. I still have that old box with the hole he chewed; it reminds me of him every time I see it.

Try chopping up the veggies, boiling and rinsing them, for it makes them more palatable (less bitter), and supports more calcium is available to the body than when consuming them raw, and eliminates bacteria, and the intestinal parasites that may have hitched a ride on the vegetables. It also supports the diet to provide an optimum mean urine pH in the 6 range, which is what has been found in rodents to inhibit the formation of urinary calculi (stones).

Adding organic Chia oil (Foods Alive) has helped to support interest in veggies in the diet, as well as rodent block.

This source is higher in Omega 3 than Omega 6 Fatty acid, which since most other sources have the opposite profile lends to supporting a better balance of these two fatty acids. Do not use a substitute that may not be a food grade product, or organic, it just isn't worth it with the price of this source. The smallest bottle (4 oz.) lasts a long time; the larger save for you using some yourself is a waste, as it will outlast its shelf-life, which even so long isn't as long as the larger bottles provide.

https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive

Lord knows what he's chewing on. Nothing poisonous or anything. Boxes and old clothes. He probably found a nice spot in the clothes.

The only bad thing about it is, lack of sun( I do lock him in the bathroom when the sun is shining through the open window and, less water consumption. I saw a puddle of his pee in the bathroom and it was more yellow than normal.

I'll try the boiling vegetables recommendation. Other than all that, he's a happy healthy squirrel.

My boy LOVES my closet!! He's built a nest in there and when he's tired that's where he goes to put himself to bed. HA! I eventually put a small kitchen cabinet that we'd removed from above our refrigerator up on the shelf in there and removed one of the doors and now that's where his nest is. It helps contain all the toilet paper so it's not falling everywhere. That is HIS place. And he's trained himself to pee in our bathroom sinks. He does have two double critter nation cages that he's in during the day when I'm not there but he hasn't slept in it at night in forever. He will be three in July.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread