Thread: Squirrel Losing Fur... How Worried Should We Be and What To Do?

Default Squirrel Losing Fur... How Worried Should We Be and What To Do?

Hey everybody. One of our babies from last year has been living in a tree outside the house. He comes to visit and get snacks every now and then. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that he was losing some fur, and it kinda looked like mange. We gave him a nut treated with Ivermectin, which had worked well for another one of our kids previously. About an hour after giving this nut, he seemed rather disoriented and appeared to have bopped his nose on something... small amount of blood coming out. A side-effect of the meds?

Anyway, we watched him for a few days and I started to think it wasn't mange, but dermatophytoses or some other fungal thing. We started coating his snacks in coconut oil and I made a batch of winter block for him to get some vitamins. So far... so good?

I took this crappy picture of him with my phone this morning and thought I'd ask what you guys think. It's cold and snowy here, and we're supposed to get more this weekend. We are just worried for the little man (we named him Canute) and wanted to make sure that we were doing all we could. Any advice? I wasn't sure how "life-threatening" the condition is, so if this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize. Thanks.

Name:  0117190924.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  106.2 KB

Default Re: Squirrel Losing Fur... How Worried Should We Be and What To Do?

Tree squirrels naturally strip tree bark of specific food trees to obtain the living (cambium) layer of the bark that contains minerals and other nutrients they need.

Pycnogenol, by Organika, a liquid extract of the living (cambium) bark inner layer of the Maritime Pine, contains high levels of compounds with anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-diabetic, anti-fungal, and anti-osteoporosis properties. The ethanol base supports its well absorption into the bloodstream. It

Make a single nut-ball out of a cooked organic old fashioned oatmeal (1 Tsp. cooked each), adding ground E. walnut or pecan, and a drop of coconut oil and chia oil. Add to each portion 2 drops from a 1 cc. ml syringe daily.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-pycnogenol

Shipping ($25.00) from Canada, the total cost is comparable or less in price to the dry extracts available in the US. Check to see if purchasing more than one bottle the shipping is the same; if so it would be good to consider getting more than one bottle. On Amazon.com this source is noted to be currently unavailable. A number of other US sources have stopped carrying it.

Default Re: Squirrel Losing Fur... How Worried Should We Be and What To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Tree squirrels naturally strip tree bark of specific food trees to obtain the living (cambium) layer of the bark that contains minerals and other nutrients they need.

Pycnogenol, by Organika, a liquid extract of the living (cambium) bark inner layer of the Maritime Pine, contains high levels of compounds with anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-diabetic, anti-fungal, and anti-osteoporosis properties. The ethanol base supports its well absorption into the bloodstream. It

Make a single nut-ball out of a cooked organic old fashioned oatmeal (1 Tsp. cooked each), adding ground E. walnut or pecan, and a drop of coconut oil and chia oil. Add to each portion 2 drops from a 1 cc. ml syringe daily.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-pycnogenol

Shipping ($25.00) from Canada, the total cost is comparable or less in price to the dry extracts available in the US. Check to see if purchasing more than one bottle the shipping is the same; if so it would be good to consider getting more than one bottle. On Amazon.com this source is noted to be currently unavailable. A number of other US sources have stopped carrying it.
    Thank you! If I was going to try to dose with dry extracts... do you have a dosage you'd say? The site says that a drop is roughly 1mg... so if I had say, 50g capsules... I don't know. Is it even worth trying with dry ingredients?

I'm assuming I could dose pre-made block that I have, right?