Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shes being a nasty thing

Default Shes being a nasty thing

Hi guys i have a eastern grey female named Ember. she is a year and 5 months old and is usually sweet. shes attacked me in the past been in a bad mood for a fews days then back to normal. but this time is different for the last two weeks i have been unable to touch or hold her with her attacking me as well as not allowed in her walk in cage. she attacks me as soon as i go in or from the outside and charges at me. i dont know if she is wilding up or if it will pass. does any one have any suggestions. shes just so angry at me all the time and i feel terrible bc i cant play with her bc she attacks me or let her out of the cage

Default Re: Shes being a nasty thing

She could be wilding up in which case a soft release would work if she is releasable?

Some other things to consider

1) food caches, if she has some hidden nuts or treats, squirrels can get VERY defensive over them. You can check her cage for hidden food caches (when she is not around!).

2) have you changed perfumes, lotions, or bath soaps/shampoos? A different smell can sometimes trigger aggression.

3) she might be in heat and that might account for the aggression. If so, it should stop after she stops being in heat. Have you noticed her private parts are a bit swollen looking?

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    Hi guys i have a eastern grey female named Ember. she is a year and 5 months old and is usually sweet. shes attacked me in the past been in a bad mood for a fews days then back to normal. but this time is different for the last two weeks i have been unable to touch or hold her with her attacking me as well as not allowed in her walk in cage. she attacks me as soon as i go in or from the outside and charges at me. i dont know if she is wilding up or if it will pass. does any one have any suggestions. shes just so angry at me all the time and i feel terrible bc i cant play with her bc she attacks me or let her out of the cage
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

JLM27 (01-16-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-16-2019)

A soft release? isnt she too old for that or no?
    She does cache so i havent been giving her nuts with shells just regular nuts without the shell bc then she doesnt cache them. I did get a new perfume but i don’t always wear it around her. I have tried looking at her privates im not sure if it looks swollen or not. how long would the bad mood persist if she is in heat? I hope shes not wilding up :/

Cut back on nuts and remove all stashes. Stop wearing the new perfume! See if these two things help. If the aggression is related to being in heat than it should pass soon.

If your squirrel is otherwise healthy, she most likely could be started on a "Soft-release". The process of a soft release in an outdoor cage allows them to gradually get used to being outside and gives themm time to wild up and for the natural instincts to kick in. At 1.5 years old, she most likely would still be able to be soft released although that is considerably older than usual. If she is wilding up and will not be happy than the soft release would be best for her.

But try removing nut stashes, stop the perfume and wait another week or so to see if that works.

Here is soft-release info:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

A soft release? isnt she too old for that or no?
    She does cache so i havent been giving her nuts with shells just regular nuts without the shell bc then she doesnt cache them. I did get a new perfume but i don’t always wear it around her. I have tried looking at her privates im not sure if it looks swollen or not. how long would the bad mood persist if she is in heat? I hope shes not wilding up :/

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-17-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-16-2019)

If you are using a new perfume it could be on your clothes and hair even if you didn't put it on recently. Remember, their smell is acute. They can smell a nut under 4 inches of snow.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

Diggie's Friend (01-17-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-16-2019)

okay thanks guys. ill take the nuts out tonight and cutback on them starting tomorrow. i wont wear the perfume. i never planned on releasing her so im hoping this passes i just have never seen her like this. ill keep you guys posted. thanks for the help

Most soaps and shampoos are highly alkaline, and often perfumed, which can promote a neurotoxic impact upon the brain of rodents when smelling them, causing excitement and aggression, aka: "excitotoxicity". If you use one of these alkaline sources and find that your squirrel is particularly aggressive against you after you shower, you may want to consider using a lower pH soap that isn't perfumed, mostly available online. If you use one of the nut oils in the shower, after showering, it may also help to dampen the negative impact many soaps may have upon your squirrel's brain. "Neutrogena Sesame Oil", and pure virgin coconut oil sources, like, "Shea Moisture" coconut oil, are available at most drug stores.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-17-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Most soaps are highly alkaline, "excitotoxins" which have to be neurotoxic negative in rats that promote aggression. If you use one of these sources and find that your squirrel is particularly aggressive against you after you shower, you can look online for a lower pH soap that isn't perfumed. If you use one of the nut oils after showering in the shower, it may also help to dampen the negative aerosol effect that high alkaloids contained in most soaps have upon your squirrel's brain. "Neutrogena Sesame Oil", and a one of the coconut oil sources, like that from, "Shea Moisture".
    I didn’t even think of that but i use shea moisture so i should be okay or no?

update. when i fed her today i opened the small cage the critters one up. just one door and left it open i put her nuts in my hand and held the food bowl with the other to have her come to me. i showered last night used shea moisture raw shea body wash. no perfume for 2 days so far. she was fine for a bit then she climbed on me and didnt attack me i didnt try to pet her just let her do her thing. she jumped back into her cage cached some avocados then i put my arm up for her to jump on and she attacked me. ugh.

Are all food stashes gone? I would also proceed slow. Don't really give her the opportunity to attack you for a while. Just let her get used to your presence but try to not handle her right now.

update. when i fed her today i opened the small cage the critters one up. just one door and left it open i put her nuts in my hand and held the food bowl with the other to have her come to me. i showered last night used shea moisture raw shea body wash. no perfume for 2 days so far. she was fine for a bit then she climbed on me and didnt attack me i didnt try to pet her just let her do her thing. she jumped back into her cage cached some avocados then i put my arm up for her to jump on and she attacked me. ugh.

-Grateful Dead

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-18-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-18-2019)

Also, in my book an attack should provoke a "no no" from you punctuated by an angry squawk. I expect to be reprimanded for this, but I have done it often with no ill effects. Of course my guys are wild and I do not handle them, but I do let them jump on me. Pee pee in the wrong place gets the same treatment and puts a stop to it for all but the most stubborn wayward little ones.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

tori_theanimallover (01-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Are all food stashes gone? I would also proceed slow. Don't really give her the opportunity to attack you for a while. Just let her get used to your presence but try to not handle her right now.
    Yes but she makes new ones everyday. Good idea ill just try to hangout in the room near here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Also, in my book an attack should provoke a "no no" from you punctuated by an angry squawk. I expect to be reprimanded for this, but I have done it often with no ill effects. Of course my guys are wild and I do not handle them, but I do let them jump on me. Pee pee in the wrong place gets the same treatment and puts a stop to it for all but the most stubborn wayward little ones.
    I have tried reprimanding her by yelling but it just makes her more distant from me. I just walk out of the room now and try to give her space and then try again later in the day.

Maybe cut back on her daily food amount a tiny bit. She should not have enough to keep building new stashes.

Yes but she makes new ones everyday. Good idea ill just try to hangout in the room near here.

-Grateful Dead

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

tori_theanimallover (01-21-2019)

When our girl attacked my hubby at 3 1/2 years of age. I found she had a large cache of nuts in her blanket nest, and removed them. With my hubby, who was her person, I suggested he to not reach for her, but let her come to him, which she did and he was able to hold her.

Between the time of the attack and the resolution of the problem, I undertook an intervention; I kneeled down with my hands down at my sides not moving just a couple feet near from her with her on a platform where she nested, and I had a heart to heart talk with her in a slower and lower voice not using any high pitched sounds that excite, nor loud sounds, nor angry tone, nor reaching for her. Within a minute she began to back up, that is not stand her ground, then whimpering a bit showing submission. Then keeping eye contact I continued to speak the same while moving my hand wide round slowly wide behind her, then lifted her up slowly and petted her in the same low soft voice, saying, "It's ok" to comfort her.
    Waiting for the squirrel to come out to you from her cage, not reaching in or near their cage where nuts were stored, is what I would recommend first trying. Keeping eye contact and using a low voice also can help, or just staying silent. Don't move fast, speak fast or loud helps your squirrel to feel unthreatened, quiets their minds; yet when you speak loudly, or use high pitches voice or sounds it will excites their mind. Never reward an animal, be it dog or squirrel with an excited voice and food.

Squirrels shouldn't be given more than (1/2 to 1 Tsp.) tops of chopped nuts a day. For a chew give her a section of untreated antlers; pet stores carry these, the labels noting they are untreated.

If your squirrel isn't fond of antler sections, try adding a drop of this organic food grade Chia oil to rub on the outside; it gives it a nutty flavor and aroma.

https://www.vitacost.com/foods-alive...=chia+oil+4+oz

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-25-2019), Snicker Bar (01-26-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-21-2019)

she still hates me i’ve been feeding her less and not giving her much nuts. its like she doesn’t know who i am. ive tried just sitting in the room not even interacting with her and she gets mad at me still

Maybe give the OCASIONAL treat by hand but through the bars so she thinks of you as a treat giver and not just caretaker? Also, some squirrels like getting rubs with a tooth brush through the bars. So she gets a rub and yiu don't have to expaoe your hand.

she still hates me i’ve been feeding her less and not giving her much nuts. its like she doesn’t know who i am. ive tried just sitting in the room not even interacting with her and she gets mad at me still

-Grateful Dead

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

tori_theanimallover (01-26-2019)

It takes more than a day to turn them around, it took a couple of weeks for our girl to turn around, even so she submitted to me upon the intervention as I called it to get her to stop attacking my husband.

Again, you have to allow her to come to you; if she doesn't then consider preparing her for release. I realize this alternative is sad for you, yet it isn't all so rare a late bloomer coming into her own does this.

Again, it may be hormonal; if so waiting is all you can do to see if she decides to come to you. For this you don't want to stare at her, that is just for giving her a talking to, to show you are dominant, not her. Again, give her space, do not use a high voice, low tones, and do not feed her by hand period, as your hand to her is competition. Believe me when I share that if they are eating you don't want to put your hand near a more aggressive squirrel, with or without food in it, as they likely will assume that you want their food even when you are offering it to them.

If you don't have a a larger cage, considering providing her with one, as being cooped up where a squirrel can't retreat from you leaves them nothing left but to attack to defend their territory when aggitated.

When putting her food in her cage you can use a water mist sprayer if need be to move her way from the door and your hand; just give her a bit of a sprinkle, not a hard shot by any means. Repeat if needed to get her to move back.

Again, don't feed her nut in the shell, save for one a week (hazelnut) to support her keeping her incisors worn down. More more than 1/2 Tsp. chopped nuts daily, and organic, for the fumigants that are used on conventionally produce nuts are also neurotoxic which promotes an excited state of mind.

Feed baked squash without the seeds, 1/2 Tsp. twice a day. This source is higher in magnesium. which supports a calmer mind and better bone density..

Increase magnesium in her diet by including a supplement of the following:

Magnesium Citrate powder from Frontier Naturals (this source has no additives).

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Magn.../dp/B000UYC3MY

Begin by adding just 1/64 Tsp. (you will need mini teaspoon set from Norpro, or another brand. After three days add an additional 1/64 Tsp., splitting the amount AM and PM. Wait 3 days, which if by then the stool has not softened, then add once more an additional amount of 1/64 Tsp. making a total of 2/64 Tsp. daily. Add each 1/64 Tsp. to one of three meals to spread it out.

If then by three more days the stool still hasn't begun to softened, then continue to make the same increase of (1/64) Tsp. in addition to the present total, every three days till the stool begins to be just a bit watery, not talking diarrhea, or noodle like. When you see the stool soften a bit, then immediately back down the total daily by 1/64 Tsp.. If you see the stool begin to firm up then hold the amount as is. If no then again reduce total measure of magnesium citrate by 1/64 once again till it does.
    It takes the bowel takes time to adjust to an increase in magnesium.

Then after

If so then increase the total daily to double 1/32 Tsp. splitting the amount added to the yogurt, or baked squash by 1/64 Tsp.. If by then the stool hasn't begun to become a bit watery, add in an additional 1/64 Tsp. and again wait three more days.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-25-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-26-2019)

Typo correction of above text: "No more than 1/2 Tsp. chopped nuts daily"

Add the Magnesium citrate powder by predetermined measure, to either 1/2 Tsp. plain organic yogurt and/or baked organic butternut, or acorn squash, in three meals a day.

If your squirrel doesn't want the squash or yogurt, try grinding up the small daily allotment of nut and dividing it between meals to add to baked squash, and/or yogurt daily.

ignore this fragment below; I missed editing it out.

Then after

If so then increase the total daily to double 1/32 Tsp. splitting the amount added to the yogurt, or baked squash by 1/64 Tsp.. If by then the stool hasn't begun to become a bit watery, add in an additional 1/64 Tsp. and again wait three more days.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

GoldenEyes (01-25-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Maybe give the OCASIONAL treat by hand but through the bars so she thinks of you as a treat giver and not just caretaker? Also, some squirrels like getting rubs with a tooth brush through the bars. So she gets a rub and yiu don't have to expaoe your hand.
    okay going to try this tomorrow it breaks my heart i just want to hold my baby girl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast