Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shes being a nasty thing

Default Re: Shes being a nasty thing

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    It takes more than a day to turn them around, it took a couple of weeks for our girl to turn around, even so she submitted to me upon the intervention as I called it to get her to stop attacking my husband.

Again, you have to allow her to come to you; if she doesn't then consider preparing her for release. I realize this alternative is sad for you, yet it isn't all so rare a late bloomer coming into her own does this.

Again, it may be hormonal; if so waiting is all you can do to see if she decides to come to you. For this you don't want to stare at her, that is just for giving her a talking to, to show you are dominant, not her. Again, give her space, do not use a high voice, low tones, and do not feed her by hand period, as your hand to her is competition. Believe me when I share that if they are eating you don't want to put your hand near a more aggressive squirrel, with or without food in it, as they likely will assume that you want their food even when you are offering it to them.

If you don't have a a larger cage, considering providing her with one, as being cooped up where a squirrel can't retreat from you leaves them nothing left but to attack to defend their territory when aggitated.

When putting her food in her cage you can use a water mist sprayer if need be to move her way from the door and your hand; just give her a bit of a sprinkle, not a hard shot by any means. Repeat if needed to get her to move back.

Again, don't feed her nut in the shell, save for one a week (hazelnut) to support her keeping her incisors worn down. More more than 1/2 Tsp. chopped nuts daily, and organic, for the fumigants that are used on conventionally produce nuts are also neurotoxic which promotes an excited state of mind.

Feed baked squash without the seeds, 1/2 Tsp. twice a day. This source is higher in magnesium. which supports a calmer mind and better bone density..

Increase magnesium in her diet by including a supplement of the following:

Magnesium Citrate powder from Frontier Naturals (this source has no additives).

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Magn.../dp/B000UYC3MY

Begin by adding just 1/64 Tsp. (you will need mini teaspoon set from Norpro, or another brand. After three days add an additional 1/64 Tsp., splitting the amount AM and PM. Wait 3 days, which if by then the stool has not softened, then add once more an additional amount of 1/64 Tsp. making a total of 2/64 Tsp. daily. Add each 1/64 Tsp. to one of three meals to spread it out.

If then by three more days the stool still hasn't begun to softened, then continue to make the same increase of (1/64) Tsp. in addition to the present total, every three days till the stool begins to be just a bit watery, not talking diarrhea, or noodle like. When you see the stool soften a bit, then immediately back down the total daily by 1/64 Tsp.. If you see the stool begin to firm up then hold the amount as is. If no then again reduce total measure of magnesium citrate by 1/64 once again till it does.
    It takes the bowel takes time to adjust to an increase in magnesium.

Then after

If so then increase the total daily to double 1/32 Tsp. splitting the amount added to the yogurt, or baked squash by 1/64 Tsp.. If by then the stool hasn't begun to become a bit watery, add in an additional 1/64 Tsp. and again wait three more days.

okay thank you will look to order the stuff in the next few days. TubeDriver said to give a nut by hand but you say not to do that. what do i follow? i usually feed her and leave the room otherwise she starts chattering the teeth. i hope this is hormonal.

I think you might need to seriously consider releasing her if she doesn’t become more receptive to you. This could be hormonal only time will tell. I had a female inside for an extended period of time due to head trauma. When she went into her first estrus cycle she was no longer cuddly. Her feistiness was exactly what I needed to tell me that she wanted to be free. As much as I loved her and our cuddle time together, I knew setting her free was the right thing to do. She had recovered from her head trauma so I prepared her for release. Once released she hung around and was her sweet self again, even cuddly for awhile until she got pregnant and had her first litter. The maternal instinct, and the hormones that accompany it, are strong. As sad as it is, your girl may be telling you that she wants a life in the trees..... to be the squirrel she was meant to be.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (02-05-2019), GoldenEyes (01-26-2019), SammysMom (01-26-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-26-2019), TubeDriver (01-26-2019)

There are no hard and fast rules. If you can be in the room and she is calm, if she comes over to the cage wall towards and still she seems calm, you might try a small treat through the bars. But I would not do this often and you don't want her to demand and expect a treat every time. Once she starts chattering, I would calmly go about other things and leave her alone/ignore her.

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    okay thank you will look to order the stuff in the next few days. TubeDriver said to give a nut by hand but you say not to do that. what do i follow? i usually feed her and leave the room otherwise she starts chattering the teeth. i hope this is hormonal.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

tori_theanimallover (01-26-2019)

Okay thanks everyone for your help. how long should i wait until i should start to get ready to release her? I can’t tell if her privates are swollen i tried looking today through the cage. she is chubbier than usual. if i have to release her what do you guys suggest i do considering shes a 1 1/2 years old. will she be okay in the wild since she is okder than when you are supposed to do a release?

I didn’t even think of that but i use shea moisture so i should be okay or no?
    I can't say; it really depends upon more than one ingredient, or so I would assume.

Search online for a pH balanced shampoo that's also noted to have lower pH closer to that of skin like 5.5 to 4.5,

and don't have any perfumes, sulfates, parabens.

Just by way of example, I found this one tonight, which I may try for myself. This same company has formulas for both oily and dry skin.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Sensit...ody+wash&psc=1

Shea after shower body oil is heavy, sesame oil light.

Have you ever been groomed by a squirrel, getting 'teeny bites" on your arms, hands, or nails? Nutt'in like smelling a bit nutty to attract a squirrel.

Though I have like many been groomed by a squirrel, I admit I haven't tried these oils out myself near a squirrel,

since it's been many years since we said goodbye to our girl.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

tori_theanimallover (01-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    Okay thanks everyone for your help. how long should i wait until i should start to get ready to release her? I can’t tell if her privates are swollen i tried looking today through the cage. she is chubbier than usual. if i have to release her what do you guys suggest i do considering shes a 1 1/2 years old. will she be okay in the wild since she is okder than when you are supposed to do a release?
    She may require a longer than normal time in a release cage to prepare her for release. I typically put mine in the release cage for 3 weeks. I kept the girl that was inside for close to a year in the release cage for 4+ weeks. My release cage is large, 4ft x 8ft x 6ft so there was plenty of room to run and jump. I provide large tree limbs securely attached to the cage for climbing and jumping practice. Bringing in fresh cut oak (hickory, walnut or other safe tree) limbs with the leaves gives them something to do and gets them accustomed to the feel of the trees. A small portal 3”x3” will allow her to safely return to the release cage once she is free. Many hang around while others head for the trees without looking back.

Obviously depending on where you are located and how long your winter lasts will determine when you would want to move her to a release cage. It would be quite a shock to go from a nice warm house to outside and you wouldn’t want to do that. Release wouldn’t happen till the leaves are on the trees and food is in abundance. That being said, you have time to see if this is a temporary situation or if this is her new normal.

The fact that she’s not being cuddly and appears to be wilding up will make the transition easier. Once in the release cage limiting your interaction with her will also help. Many folks just feed daily and then go away, not talking or interacting with their squirrels. I always found this very hard to do because of the close bond I had. I don’t rehab all the time so I tend to get attached.

I’m not telling you that you have to release her. I know how easy it is to get attached. I think you need to take your clues from her and do what is in her best interest. I personally find it very difficult to care for an animal while being in constant fear of attack.

There are lots of cage ideas and pictures in the “cage” section of the forum that may help you.

As for her being older when released...I think they do MUCH better the older they are, they seem more tree savvy. Granted a year and a half is quite a bit older but I have heard of squirrels that are older than her that have successfully transitioned to a life in the trees.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

stepnstone (02-04-2019), tori_theanimallover (01-27-2019)

Mel1959 wrote:

I’m not telling you that you have to release her. I know how easy it is to get attached. I think you need to take your clues from her and do what is in her best interest. I personally find it very difficult to care for an animal while being in constant fear of attack.

As for her being older when released...I think they do MUCH better the older they are, they seem more tree savvy. Granted a year and a half is quite a bit older but I have heard of squirrels that are older than her that have successfully transitioned to a life in the trees.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I can't say; it really depends upon more than one ingredient, or so I would assume.

Search online for a pH balanced shampoo that's also noted to have lower pH closer to that of skin like 5.5 to 4.5,

and don't have any perfumes, sulfates, parabens.

Just by way of example, I found this one tonight, which I may try for myself. This same company has formulas for both oily and dry skin.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Sensit...ody+wash&psc=1

Shea after shower body oil is heavy, sesame oil light.

Have you ever been groomed by a squirrel, getting 'teeny bites" on your arms, hands, or nails? Nutt'in like smelling a bit nutty to attract a squirrel.

Though I have like many been groomed by a squirrel, I admit I haven't tried these oils out myself near a squirrel,

since it's been many years since we said goodbye to our girl.

Ember loved to groom me before all this :/ and okay im a little scared to try that bc she might then think im a nut and attack me more

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    She may require a longer than normal time in a release cage to prepare her for release. I typically put mine in the release cage for 3 weeks. I kept the girl that was inside for close to a year in the release cage for 4+ weeks. My release cage is large, 4ft x 8ft x 6ft so there was plenty of room to run and jump. I provide large tree limbs securely attached to the cage for climbing and jumping practice. Bringing in fresh cut oak (hickory, walnut or other safe tree) limbs with the leaves gives them something to do and gets them accustomed to the feel of the trees. A small portal 3”x3” will allow her to safely return to the release cage once she is free. Many hang around while others head for the trees without looking back.

Obviously depending on where you are located and how long your winter lasts will determine when you would want to move her to a release cage. It would be quite a shock to go from a nice warm house to outside and you wouldn’t want to do that. Release wouldn’t happen till the leaves are on the trees and food is in abundance. That being said, you have time to see if this is a temporary situation or if this is her new normal.

The fact that she’s not being cuddly and appears to be wilding up will make the transition easier. Once in the release cage limiting your interaction with her will also help. Many folks just feed daily and then go away, not talking or interacting with their squirrels. I always found this very hard to do because of the close bond I had. I don’t rehab all the time so I tend to get attached.

There are lots of cage ideas and pictures in the “cage” section of the forum that may help you.

She is currently in a critters cage connected to a 8 x 4 x 6 cage with levels and tree branches and such. hopefully before the weather is warmer she changes if not i know i need to do whats in her best interest. Shes my baby girl i lost two babies the year i found her and thought that was a sign. It has been the most amazing 1 1/2 years with her and she has made me laugh countless times. It breaks my heart thinking about releasing her since that was never the plan. but i know i need to do whats in her best interest and she’s obviously not happy and all i want is for my baby girl to be happy. and it is hard to care for her while being in constant fear bc then i dont want to be around her making me more distant from her and not helping us bond. Ugh it sucks but thank you for all your help.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tori_theanimallover from:

Mel1959 (01-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    There are no hard and fast rules. If you can be in the room and she is calm, if she comes over to the cage wall towards and still she seems calm, you might try a small treat through the bars. But I would not do this often and you don't want her to demand and expect a treat every time. Once she starts chattering, I would calmly go about other things and leave her alone/ignore her.
    Okay thank you. I tried talking nice calm and sweet to her while she attacked me through the cage but she just got more agitated. i tried putting my hair through the bars too just so she could smell me but she didnt like that either. Ill keep everyone updated as to how her behavior is as time goes on

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tori_theanimallover:

Mel1959 (01-27-2019), TubeDriver (01-27-2019)

I remember one little girl who was brought to us late December to overwinter with us ... a really nastu little cuss, she was... the whole time until 2 days before we took her to her release spot when she suddenly turned as sweet as can be. *sigh

I think maybe she had a long hormonal burst... only thing I could think of.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

tori_theanimallover (02-04-2019)

I don't think that you smelling a bit nutty will upset her to provoke her to bite you; rather it is alkaloids, not nut aroma (acidic), that promotes neural agitation. Using shower body oils, if pure without additives, should be fine; just don't put it on your hands, but squirt it on instead.

Nuts in the shell stored, or given by hand are an issue of ownership dominance for adult squirrels.

As to neurotoxic, aka: "excitotoxic" sources, they aren't just found in external products you may use for yourself, but are also commonly found in processed foods. In particular sugars real and artificial, MSG that is also listed under other names, heavy metals, non-organic whey protein sources, as these also cause brain cells to over-excite, which promotes a heightened state of tension, perhaps even headaches as it does in humans. Pain in animals can predispose them to aggression, which in captive wilds, when it's not then a matter of them having wilded up, is often why they may bite.

In captivity, 'Nature', their natural instinct and physical being (including present maturity and condition) plays a key role in their behavior, as does 'Nurture', external influences (habitat, diet, care, caregiver).

In maturing (coming into her own), providing a larger space (cage) so that the squirrel doesn't feel cooped up, is needed. A (6' H / 3 1/2'' D / 4' to 5' W) enclosure space permitting, or a (6 'H by 3 1/2 W x 3 1/2 ' D) tower cage, that is fitted with a safe woods for perches, a nestbox, and branches to climb on, along with untreated cotton rope, and fabric hammock, helps to eliminate boredom and promote good exercise.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

tori_theanimallover (02-04-2019)

Still no change. we had one good night together when i took her out of the cage but othwr than that she still isnt too fond of me

I’m sorry to read this. 🙁. Depending on where you live you still have a little time before you would want to put her in a release cage.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

tori_theanimallover (02-05-2019), TubeDriver (02-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m sorry to read this. 🙁. Depending on where you live you still have a little time before you would want to put her in a release cage.
    Yeah, I have about a month or so before its warm enough. I can tell shes not happy she doesn’t come out of her house until nowish. I know she wants to be wild so when it gets warmer i’ll probably end up releasing her since things dont look like they’re changing... I guess this is good practice for when I end up becoming a rehabber myself.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tori_theanimallover from:

Mel1959 (02-05-2019)

On a positive note....they really don’t make good pets.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

tori_theanimallover (02-05-2019)

Yeah you are not wrong about that haha. Hell of a lot of work but its worthit for thwir cuddles and affection and trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12