Thread: Orphaned squirrel questions!

juliana Guest

Default Orphaned squirrel questions!

Hey there!
    My husband brought home 3 orphaned baby squirrels from work a couple days ago. Their eyes are still closed and I’m estimating they’re 3-4 weeks. They seem strong and healthy. I gave them some homemade pedialyte for the first couple feedings and then introduced them to Esbilac. I think I’m able to take them to work with me to feed them for a while but I needed to know if it’s ok to leave them home during the day once their eyes open? Is it ok to go that long without feeding? I work a typical 9-5

Default Re: Orphaned squirrel questions!

Check this link out it is 6 pages the next page is in the upper right. It will answer a lot of your questions.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grinderhead:

GoldenEyes (02-10-2019), Nancy in New York (02-10-2019), stepnstone (02-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by juliana View Post
    Hey there!
    My husband brought home 3 orphaned baby squirrels from work a couple days ago. Their eyes are still closed and I’m estimating they’re 3-4 weeks. They seem strong and healthy. I gave them some homemade pedialyte for the first couple feedings and then introduced them to Esbilac. I think I’m able to take them to work with me to feed them for a while but I needed to know if it’s ok to leave them home during the day once their eyes open? Is it ok to go that long without feeding? I work a typical 9-5
    Baby squirrel eyes open around 4.5-5 weeks. At that time they still need to be getting fed 5 times a day, every 4 hours but not through the night. A typical schedule could be 6 am, 10 am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm. At this time we introduce a squirrel block. My personal favorite is Mazuri that I buy from my local feed store. Many others feed Henrys Healthy block. This is the start of preparing them to move from formula to a nutrional based diet around 10-12 wks.

Feeding with a gap of eight hours both night and day does not give the babies enough feedings. They need a space of at least four hours between feedings.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

GoldenEyes (02-10-2019), Grinderhead (02-10-2019), lukaslolamaus (02-10-2019), Mel1959 (02-10-2019)

I don't know if you can't bring them to work but if you can you could feed at your lunch time, get up early enough to feed twice before you leave for work.and then twice when you get home. As soon as the guys start nibbling on blocks steadily, probably around 7 weeks when their molars come in, you can drop a feeding in the middle of the day. At that time you may be able to do the two feeding in the am and two feedings in the pm. Your babies will wean earlier than necessary but one does what has to be done. As the babies get older and are eating blocks stellar, start introducing veggies. Around 9 weeks I drop my babies down to two feedings/day.

Hope this helps. This is the way I do it and everything depends on the condition of the baby squirrels.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

GoldenEyes (02-10-2019), Grinderhead (02-10-2019), lukaslolamaus (02-10-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.