Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not eating

Default Not eating

I have a three-year-old gray female. I usually give her two Henry blocks a day along with some veggies. She's been getting lots of broccoli and cauliflower lately with some sugar snap peas and carrots. Usually she grabs the Henry blocks from me and gobbles them down, but the past two days she won't even take them. I've left them for her to eat when she's hungry, but they're still where I left them completely untouched along with her bowl of veggies. I let her out of her cage last night and she was actively hiding from me. She's never done that before. She was trying to hide behind the curtain, when that didn't work out for her she ran under the bed and hid just where I couldn't reach her. Although not wanting any interaction with me, she was still being very active. She started scooting her butt along the ground a lot, so I was thinking maybe she's constipated. I was able to eventually coax her to me and I checked her teeth and rubbed her belly. Her teeth look good and I didn't feel anything unusual with her belly and she seemed to like me rubbing and poking at it. Her butt was dirty and she had some poop dried in her fur. I got her butt cleaned up and she pooped a very large, long, dry poop right after that. I tried feeding her some coconut oil to see if maybe that will help her but she didn't really want any. I cuddled her for a few hours and then put her to bed, but she started crying after that. She cried all night. She's still not eating anything this morning and she's still scooting her butt along the ground. I gave her some sugar water this morning and she lapped that up and then had a very large soft poop shortly afterwards. She's being very mean this morning, lunging at me, trying to scratch and bite. She's doing the kuk and squa call now.

Default Re: Not eating

I can't blame you for being alarmed if this is the first time she has done this. She sounds like she is in heat. Also, please check that she does not have a painful UTI. Can you see her external genitals? I know you can't easily handle her right now, but it would help to know if they are red or swollen. Keep getting fluids in her, is my 2 cents, but can you get her to a vet?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

Diggie's Friend (01-16-2019), GoldenEyes (01-16-2019)

Poor baby, she's is in pain. Possible causes would include her being in heat, having an ascending bacterial infection from bad bacteria or parasites passed into her poo that have gained access to her urogenital tract, which is pretty common in rodents, as this article explains.

The urinary tract, except for at the urethral orifice (the opening to outside the body), is normally a sterile environment free of pathogens. Infections to the urinary tract are caused by the presence of pathogenic microorganisms. Some of the organisms (in most cases bacteria) responsible are often found to be normal intestinal or fecal flora, such as E. coli and klebsiella, or mycoplasma found in the reproductive system.

Bacteria may gain entrance to the urethra and bladder through an ascending infection from outside the body. If the infection is left untreated it can move up to the ureters to involve the kidneys (pyelonephritis). Bacteria that is already present in the bloodstream, may also gain access to kidneys, ureters, and bladder through what is called a descending infection.
    http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_renal/

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...ions_lower.php

I would get a bottle or package of urine testing strips to determine where the mean urine pH of your squirrel is presently.

As for the issue of her getting poo on her bottom, sounds like she has loose stool. Offer her 1/4 Tsp. of Quick cook (not instant) Old fashioned unsweetened hulled Organic oats (Bob's Red Mill Organic) This will help to soothe the lining of the intestines and add bulk to the meal.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-f...king-oats.html

With this include baked Acorn and Butternuts squash in her diet that supports both in nutrients and bulk in the diet.

Also include a broad spectrum 'Soil based pre/probiotic", like "Pet Flora". Two sources online, that go by this same name, are available.

This first source is the lowest amount and cheapest source, but not the best deal by the amount you get by price, also "Pet Flora, is available from Safer Medical of Montana.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-cap.../dp/B005PJN2HO

https://safermedicalmt.com/product/pet-flora/

Beyond treating a likely infection, test the urine with pH strips to determine the mean urine pH of her urine. Considering her symptoms, if the mean urine pH is close to (8.0), she likely has an infection. Beyond a UTI from bacteria or parasites, infections can occur from a diet that is too elevated in pH. though presently you won't be able to determine this still you address the infection, and cause, which if it is the diet can be resolved by lowering the pH of the diet into the Mid to high 6 range of (slightly acidic) that is the norm for this species.

Boiling vegetables and leafy greens at various lengths of time will reduce their pH, and so reduce the overall pH of the diet. This without appreciable loss of nutrients save for Vitamin C that fruits in the diet more than make up for.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-16-2019 at 11:52 PM.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-16-2019), Uribity (01-16-2019)

Her genitals aren't swollen at all. I noticed a little grey spot last night that I don't recall seeing before, so I think it may be dirt, but when I tried to wipe it she ran away from me. She gained a lot of weight this winter and her belly seems swollen to me, but I'm not sure if it's just fat or something I need to worry about. She didn't make any fuss when I rubbed and pressed on her belly last night, she actually seemed to enjoy it quite a lot. I figured if her belly was hurting her she would let me know when I pressed on it, but no squeaks or anything. She usually gets aggressive in the winter, so I'm used to that, but I've never had her try to hide from me before, and the butt scooting has me concerned that she has worms or something. I have tried calling vet's in the area who specialize in exotic pets, but no one would take a squirrel. I'm in the Chicago suburbs of Illinois, if anyone out there can recommend a vet that will look at her and not immediately put her down.

I put a teaspoon of oatmeal in her food bowl and she gobbled it up, so at least she finally ate something! She still isn't touching her veggies and even refused a nut earlier, but I'm so happy that she ate her oatmeal. She's scooting around still and she's in her cage now, which has me concerned that she's going to hurt her little bum even more than it already is on the metal. She's in a very bad mood tonight, so I'm afraid if I let her out she's going to be bitey. I haven't heard in crying in a few hours and she ate a little bit, so hopefully she's feeling a little better.

Where can I find the urine test strips that you mentioned?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2019)

Mission Testing Strips, and URITEST strips are on this same page, both good sources..

https://www.amazon.com/mission-urine...0test%20strips

Since these strips test for more than urine pH, it may also aid in determining what is going on with your girl. You can then test for a UTI, and more. Just follow the guide as to the corresponding test squares, and the time allotted for the tests.

It is needful when a squirrel stops eating block when ill to still support them with vitamins, calcium and other minerals. Henry's has a vitamin mineral mix that is an easy way to provide nutrients when a squirrel is off their rodent block feed. https://www.henryspets.com/supplements/

Increasing the plain hulled organic oatmeal to 1/2 Tsp. to feed AM and PM, add (1/16 Tsp.) of Henry's vita/min mix to (1/2 Tsp. oatmeal AM), and the same for the PM meal. If she isn't put off her feed with the addition, then after 3 to 4 days increase the vita/min mix to (1/16 + 1/32 Tsp.) of vita/mix added to both the AM and PM feeding. Again, if she tolerates this increase, then after 3 to 4 days increase the measure of vita/mix to the recommended full dose of 1/4 Tsp. , then splitting it by half to add 1/8 Tsp. each to both the AM and PM feedings.

In addition, adding to the oatmeal a drop of Organic food grade Chia oil (see link below); this source has encouraged other squirrels to eat that had lost their appetites in the past.

Chia oil ("Foods Alive") to foods least accepted. Chia oil is higher in Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. It is not goitrogenic, so it won't lower calcium uptake as a result of consuming it as Flax seed oil, does that is, "goitrogenic".

https://www.vitacost.com/foods-alive...0LZw&gclsrc=ds

Pycnogenol, another source that has been used by some for their squirrels, is an extract of the cambium layer of the Maritime Pine, which contains high levels of compounds that are anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-swelling, anti bacterial, anti-viral etc... kind of like liquid inner tree bark that squirrels consume naturally in the wild. It also increases energy level and appetite. 2 drops given daily from a non- needle 1cc. milliliter syringe; one drop AM and the 2nd PM.

This can be added to the oatmeal, or plain organic yogurt, that has the added benefit of including other forms than the soil based organism good bacteria, which also combat bad bacteria, and also support the degrading of oxalates contained in foods.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-pycnogenol

Don't worry about her eating raw veggies, it is the first thing to go when they don't feel well, as more than a little causes gas in the GI tract.

Feeding the veggies pre-boiled addresses this issue also.

This handy dandy little tool makes it easy to blanch leafy greens without having to worry about losing the leaves in the process. https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Infuser-S...g+tea+strainer

Try test pieces of each food in a small pot of boiling water to predetermine optimum boiling time. Do not boil so long that they turn yellow, smell of sulfur, or turn into green glop. Chopping these sources into small pieces lowers boiling time.

Immature (baby) greens: boiled 90 sec. (Escarole, Chicory leaf; Lettuces; Mizuna, Kale; Arugula; Radicchio; Garden cress; Dandelion greens)

Mature leaves: boiled up to (10 min.): (Cabbages, Turnip greens*, Broccoli florets; Dandelion greens; individual leaves of Brussel Sprouts; mustard greens, including Asian varieties: (Bok Choy, Pok Choy, Pe-Tasi), and other Asian cabbage varieties)

Stalk vegetables (whole vegetables minus the root): boil up to (20 min): (Broccoli; Cauliflower; Broccoflower; Asparagus tips; Brussels sprouts)

Taproot vegetables (commonly have root nematodes), so scrubbing and boiling, then chopping is the order.: Carrots, Parsnips, Rutabagas)

Edible pods, Pod fruits, and Green beans: (Snow peas; Sugar snap peas; Green peas; Green beans) boil from 5 to 15 minutes, with the green peas at the shorter time. Adding to the oatmeal, feed cooled boiled peas. Peas are one of the first whole foods are squirrels were given which they went for immediately.

Raw or baked Tuber-root vegetables (yams, sweet potatoes, cassava root, potatoes (modified stem-tubers). are high in oxalates, but also high in starch/sugar content that lends to the development of obesity and diabetes over time. Since your squirrel as you describe is overweight, it is best not to include these sources in her diet.

Instead, feed baked Acorn and Butternut squashes that are generally well accepted by tree squirrels. Once cooled use the small end of a melon baller (approx. 1/2 Tsp.) to scoop out a half ball of the cooked squash, placing two half scoops into the individual compartments of a (new) ice tray, or baby food freezer. If you don't have a melon baller, use 1/2 Tsp. filled to level instead. Place trays into a "Ziplock" baggie and close the zip on the bag on a straw, and suck out the air, then seal it. Place the bag(s) into the freezer.

To feed, take the two scoops (in one compartment) out to feed daily; place them into a small covered container, or covered bowl overnight to thaw. Feed one portion (1/2 scoop) AM , and the other half portion (1/2 half scoop) PM, daily.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

GoldenEyes (01-28-2019)

I'm at a complete loss of what to do. The good news is that she has been eating just fine and pooping regularly. I haven't seen her scooting her butt for a week. Her belly was a bit swollen before, but isn't any longer. The bad news is I haven't seen her drinking from her water bottle or urinating for about a week either. I finally got the urinary test strips in the mail, and I haven't seen her pee once since I got them. I was concerned that she isn't drinking, so I've continue to give her the sugar water solution. I don't know if she just doesn't want regular water now that she's had a taste of the sweet stuff or if something is seriously wrong. Ever since I cleaned her butt she has been licking and cleaning her lady bits almost constantly Maybe she's stimulating herself to urinate and licking it up? I don't know. She has always ran to this one corner and squatted whenever she had to pee before, but she hasn't done that at all for a week.

She straining, and rubbing would indicate that she may have bladder stones, or perhaps bladder worms; both can cause an infection leading to cessation of urination. I take it you don't have access to a veterinarian due to the region you are located in? A rehabber should be able to give you dosage for a specific antibiotics.

For bladder stones it is needful to acidify the diet so that it produces acidic urine that dissolve the alkaline crystals that form from infections. Please understand that acidifying the urine doesn't mean making the diet 'highly acidic', but rather 'slightly acidic', normal, so that the mean urine pH falls within the 6 range, not the 5. The mean urine pH is determined by taking three readings after meals and then one the next day before meals, totaling the readings and dividing by the number of readings, in this case four.

Again, to further support the acidifying of the urine that dissolves these forms of stones, boil greens and vegetables as tnoed above, as this lowers their alkalinity.

Also add organic cranberry concentrate liquid or cranberry powder to her meals. For the liquid just a couple of drops each AM and PM meals should help if it is from crystals in the urine. If she won't eat then add two drops and give it to her in a bit of water in a milliliter syringe, taking care not to shoot it down her throat, but onto her tongue.

Also add plain organic yogurt to the diet as it contains probiotics that can help also. I have seen this source in a number of markets, not just those like Whole Foods. The drops also can be added directly to the yogurt given twice a day.

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Cranb...ce+concentrate

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-29-2019), Uribity (01-29-2019)

Her belly is swollen again. I'm so scared for her.
    I live in the Chicago, IL suburbs and have called local veterinarians that specialize in exotic pets and none of them said they would see a squirrel. One said they would have to euthanize her if I brought her in. I have seen that it is legal to own a squirrel in Illinois with a permit or a rehaber's license, but after extensive Google searches I still haven't figured out how to obtain either one. I would be willing to drive to Wisconsin or Indiana for a vet that will see her. She isn't crying in pain like she was that one night, but she definitely seems to be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    Her belly is swollen again. I'm so scared for her.
    I live in the Chicago, IL suburbs and have called local veterinarians that specialize in exotic pets and none of them said they would see a squirrel. One said they would have to euthanize her if I brought her in. I have seen that it is legal to own a squirrel in Illinois with a permit or a rehaber's license, but after extensive Google searches I still haven't figured out how to obtain either one. I would be willing to drive to Wisconsin or Indiana for a vet that will see her. She isn't crying in pain like she was that one night, but she definitely seems to be uncomfortable.
    Found an old thread on TSB regarding getting a Rehabber's License in Illinois. Check Posts 15, 17, 21 and 23. Or you could read the whole thing. Not sure if the number for Brian Clark will work because the information is from 2012. Maybe Nancy from 2ndHandRanchRescue can provide an updated number. Just be aware that even if you are a Licensed Rehabber in Illinois, it said you're only allowed to keep the animal for 120 days.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...rs-liscense-IL

She's weighing in at exactly 800 grams if someone could help me with dosing instructions.

What are you dosing for and what are you using
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

I bought the Luxolite detox minerals which says 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds and the Vitality Science pet flora which says half a capsule per 10 pounds. If She's weighing in at just under 2 pounds how do I give her such an insignificant amount? That little won't even come out of the syringe. And if she does indeed have a UTI I would assume I need to give her antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    She's weighing in at exactly 800 grams if someone could help me with dosing instructions.
    I am working on locating a vet in your area or Indiana. It seems like this problem has been going on for awhile and a vet visit would be helpful.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019)

Do you have any antibiotics? Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro (Animal/human) are both good antibiotics to use for UTI’s. Do you have any? It is very serious if you have not seen pee for 3 days. Is there anyway she could be peeing and you don’t know?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Uribity, please check your private messages located at the top of the forum under “Notifications”. I will send you the vet information in a private message.

Edit: Private message has been sent.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (01-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Do you have any antibiotics? Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro (Animal/human) are both good antibiotics to use for UTI’s. Do you have any? It is very serious if you have not seen pee for 3 days. Is there anyway she could be peeing and you don’t know?
    She might be licking up her pee as she has been grooming / licking her genitals almost constantly. Aside from that there are no wet spots in her cage at all. I might be able to obtain some antibiotics, but currently don't have any.

Women are often prescribed Cipro for UTI’s. See if you can get one pill and get the strength and we can dose from that. Clavamox is prescribed for dogs and cats see if anyone has any extra. We need one or two pills at the most. There are other antibiotics we could use but these are the most common.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (01-29-2019)

I have Penicillin V potassium 500 mg. Would this be a safe antibiotic to use for her? If so, can somebody please private message me dosage instructions?

Mel1959 gave me a number for a vet, but I might not be able to make it out until Friday or Saturday due to the aweful weather we're having this week.

I found the video for expressing the bladder, and I am going to try, but she is awfully ornery. She always gets mean in January and February. Hopefully I'll have all my fingers with the next update.

We do not prescribe Penicillin use for squirrels as it's not recommended and can be toxic for rodents.
    I've personally not know any vet that has prescribed it for a squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast